Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for courses related to advertising (as you can see from the sig.)

I am planning about my personal statement for these courses based on my love for advertising, but i can think of what to say about it :confused:

I just keep thinking about terms like 'the art of persuasion' and 'mass communication' none of my subjects in school are related to it so i can really fall back on them, anybody know what i can write (general tips?:o: )

Anybody journalism/english students got any good ideas? :p:

ReputationRep:
    why you want to study your course
    things you've done relivent to the course
    what you can offer
    any previous achievements
    what you want to do in the future with your course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cousto)
    why you want to study your course
    yes, and i know why i enjoy seeing clever advertising and i like being creative, but dont i have to use big words/ sound smart etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    yes, and i know why i enjoy seeing clever advertising and i like being creative, but dont i have to use big words/ sound smart etc?
    You need to sound like you understand and are interested in advertising, which you obviously are. You don't have to try using clever English if it isn't your typical style. Doing so will more than likely be obvious to the admissions tutors, who are very experienced when it comes to reading personal statements.

They're looking for reasons to make you an offer for that particular course. They will be far more impressed if you can tell them something technical or unique about advertising in a simple paragraph, rather than using big, complicated phrases which end up saying nothing useful to the tutor and wasting valuable space.

By all means, write it to your best ability, and go through all the measures to check spelling and grammar (using a spell checker and getting someone else to read it), but you don't have to be reaching for a thesaurus for every other word that you write. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    be yourself if that means using big words then by all means do that but if your going to be using thesauraus every other word forget about it
    (they are gonna be able to find out if thats realy you in a interview)

ReputationRep:
    oh and not enough people can read it, it makes sure your getting alot of feedback

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.