Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjohn)
    lol look at this the bnp are crying coz they got battered when they acted all hard on the internet and facebook only 40 turned up in the end and 800 asians came and kiked the **** out of them lol dont mess
    You seem to be trying to big yourself up here. One pack of animals got beaten by another pack of animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Although the message should be good, I do wonder if they have a tendency to overstep the mark and violate free speech.
    Agreed. Much as the BNP and their ilk disgust me, they do have the right to free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avada Kedavra)
    Don't mess with who, exactly? A bunch of jumped-up, backwards extremists?

Good job on reinforcing the 'them and us' mentality, thug.
    With people like the BNP that is inevitable. 30 years ago the NF tried to meet in Southall and were allowed to by the Met & Ealing Council. There was of course a massive fight and one person was murdered by the cops. Today it wouldn't happen - the BNP wouldn't get out of Southall alive - so the "riot" achieved something solid.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juanmodesto)
    With people like the BNP that is inevitable. 30 years ago the NF tried to meet in Southall and were allowed to by the Met & Ealing Council. There was of course a massive fight and one person was murdered by the cops. Today it wouldn't happen - the BNP wouldn't get out of Southall alive - so the "riot" achieved something solid.
    What's that, exactly? That you cannot protest within a predominately Asian area without being met with violence?

ReputationRep:
    What's that, exactly? That you cannot protest within a predominately Asian area without being met with violence?
    Correct. A no-go area for nazis. Job well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    They're ridiculously hypocritical. Didn't they burst into the hall where the Oxford debating team were debating freedom of speech with the BNP and disrupted it, because "the BNP shouldn't be given that platform."

UAF have the right intentions but entirely the wrong means.
    I was there (well I had a ticket and tried to get in anyway), it was not pleasant. Several of my friends got punched for wanting to go to the debate, all of us had abuse screamed at us and none of us actually managed to get in. They also had wonderful chants like "kill Tryl" (Luke Tryl being the organiser) and various negative things followed by "never again" but they included free speech with things like the holocaust :rolleyes:

What really pissed me off was that the debate was about whether groups like the BNP should be allowed to speak rather than about whether they were right and while I think there's a case (although I disagree with it) for restricting the BNP's speech, I think you're on very dangerous ground when you won't even allow them the right to argue that they should be allowed to speak.

The most depressing thing about the evening was that the far right nutters came off looking like the sensible ones while the anti-fascist protestors gained themselves a huge amount of dislike.

ReputationRep:
    Correct. A no-go area for nazis. Job well done.
    What a paragon of free speech and democracy you are, funny how you are labeling them the 'nazis'.

Oh yes, they are all nazis. Just as all the Asians involved were Islamic extremists plotting to blow up the nearest mall. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No I don't support them.

ReputationRep:
    What a paragon of free speech and democracy you are, funny how you are labeling them the 'nazis'.

Oh yes, they are all nazis. Just as all the Asians involved were Islamic extremists plotting to blow up the nearest mall. :rolleyes:
    Freedom of speech is one thing. Contesting ownership of the street is quite another. The freedom of Nazis to gather equals the lack of freedom of my mum to walk down that street without being attacked or abused.

Sometimes you have to draw a line and smack these ****s down. That's the way it is, and that's what people will do. Some violence is inevitable - it isn't a case of "bashing a fash" for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech is one thing. Contesting ownership of the street is quite another. The freedom of Nazis to gather equals the lack of freedom of my mum to walk down that street without being attacked or abused.

Sometimes you have to draw a line and smack these c*nts down. That's the way it is, and that's what people will do. Some violence is inevitable - it isn't a case of "bashing a fash" for no reason.
    Using that logic, would you be happy if a bunch of white people gathered in the streets and beat the crap of people (predoniminately Muslims) protesting for the Palestinians? Even though their cause is acceptable, they must all be Islamic extremists. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Using that logic, would you be happy if a bunch of white people gathered in the streets and beat the crap of people (predoniminately Muslims) protesting for the Palestinians? Even though their cause is acceptable, they must all be Islamic extremists. :rolleyes:
    If they were thugs with a long history of violently attacking white people than that is exactly what would happen. Don't kid yourself about that.

Being white maybe you aren't au fait with the type of scum in groups like the "English Defence League" - I don't have that luxury. Self defence is no crime and sometimes it's best to get your retaliation in first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    They're ridiculously hypocritical. Didn't they burst into the hall where the Oxford debating team were debating freedom of speech with the BNP and disrupted it, because "the BNP shouldn't be given that platform."
    I loved the irony behind that.

By protesting on such a ridiculous scale, they inadvertently gave them more publicity than they could ever have hoped for were the debate just another in the long list of Oxford Union Controversies.

UAF would be admirable if they were slightly more discerning in their choices of targets.

(Original post by Democracy)
    I have no problem with people protesting peacefully against the BNP or increasing awareness of what is a vile, racist neo Nazi party.
    This. I think there are worse things to worry about than the harrasment of BNP members.

ReputationRep:
    If they were thugs with a long history of violently attacking white people than that is exactly what would happen. Don't kid yourself about that.

Being white maybe you aren't au fait with the type of scum in groups like the "English Defence League" - I don't have that luxury. Self defence is no crime and sometimes it's best to get your retaliation in first.
    What are you retaliating to if you retaliate "first"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    This. I think there are worse things to worry about than the harrasment of BNP members.
    I take it you were creaming when that list was released, resulting in normal people waking up to excrement being shoved through their letter box, receiving hateful telephone calls in the middle of the night and potentially losing their jobs. I guess you were pleased when the UAF gave the hammer to that BNP activist in Liverpool too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    What are you retaliating to if you retaliate "first"?
    The EDL are hooligan scum with long records - some of them going back to the 70s (when hooliganism and the NF had their heyday).

"getting your retaliation in first" is an English colloquialism meaning don't wait for an inevitable attack - hit first and hit hard.

ReputationRep:
    The EDL are hooligan scum with long records - some of them going back to the 70s (when hooliganism and the NF had their heyday).

"getting your retaliation in first" is an English colloquialism meaning don't wait for an inevitable attack - hit first and hit hard.
    Ah, OK. I've never heard of it lol.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I take it you were creaming when that list was released, resulting in normal people waking up to excrement being shoved through their letter box, receiving hateful telephone calls in the middle of the night and potentially losing their jobs. I guess you were pleased when the UAF gave the hammer to that BNP activist in Liverpool too?
    One a basic level there's nothing better than a racist with poop covering their copy of today's Daily Mail and that's my non-political head talking on the other hand freedom of speech, freedom of association etc etc.

It's the same conflict as punching the bully in the face at school, my god it feels so good and he so deserves it yet on a mature level you're just as bad as him (not quite as bad since he deserved it but still bad).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKvpONl3No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyc37aOqT0

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.