Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you're in a relationship Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping in the same room as members of the other sex after a party or whatever I think is fine. Sleeping in the same bed with them isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be uncomfortable doing this, or having my partner doing it, even if there's no activity going on.

Having said that, I don't sleep easily at the best of times and see sleep as quite an intimate thing.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's fine, i've done it before, however if it's something that'll upset you're girlfriend there's no point in doing it, if it'll only cause problems... it's not that important is it?

ReputationRep:
    You did good OP, you did good.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends on how comfortable and trusting you are... i've done it before with good mutual friends and i don't mind if my boyfriend does because it's just sleeping!

If you couldn't be trusted to be next to another guy when you're unconscious i don't know how you'd be trusted in your waking state :s

saying that, one of my guy friends has a bit of a foot fetish, and one time after a house party he and one of my girl friends ended up sleeping top and tail on a couch. She woke up in the middle of the night and was very freaked out to find him hugging her feet in his sleep! it was hilarious, but she was quite upset (understandably) so i'd say anything like that is going too far :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)

saying that, one of my guy friends has a bit of a foot fetish, and one time after a house party he and one of my girl friends ended up sleeping top and tail on a couch. She woke up in the middle of the night and was very freaked out to find him hugging her feet in his sleep! it was hilarious, but she was quite upset (understandably) so i'd say anything like that is going too far :yes:
    :lolwut: Rofl, if that happened to me... No.

So basically, everyone's half and half. :p: I didn't mean like chatting, I just meant at the last moment when everyone's zonked and you just collapse under the duvet. That's okay though, as long as me and my partner aren't being weird about it.

What do you all think on the sharing a bed, one to one, with an ex thing? She's in the wrong there, right? I told my partner about it and he said if he told her partner (they're close friends) that he'd almost definitely break up with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    You did good OP, you did good.
    I agree.

OP i'm glad you put your foot down and refused.

ReputationRep:
    In East Asian culture, this is a big No-no!

ReputationRep:
    If it's a house party where lots of people are in the room, there's nowhere else to sleep and it's just sleeping next to each other, that's fine. It's just crashing out.

But I definitely wouldn't if I was at a friend's house with no one else around and they asked if I wanted to sleep in their bed, when there's plenty of floorspace and a couch available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasphlam)
    Do you think it's acceptable to share a bed with a member of the gender you're attracted to? (That isn't your partner.)

I was at a small house party the other night, and everyone was deciding where to sleep. They put me in a bed with a female friend and a guy I didn't know, so I refused as I'm in a long term relationship and thought it would be disrespectful. When I did though people started saying it was "pathetic" and completely ridiculous. I've always thought it unfair on your partner to do so though?

The girl there I'm closest to apparently does it all the time, even sharing a bed with her ex at his home. She just doesn't tell her partner! I'd never dream of doing that, ever. Am I being petty and over thinking it, or does it overstep the line like I thought? What do you think? :confused:
    certainly did the right thing!

ReputationRep:
    I've slept with girls in relationships without doing anything several times. We just didn't have enough beds! It's no big deal, especially if you keep some clothes on.

ReputationRep:
    If nothing is going to happen and your just going to sleep then why not? If the other person is a stranger it might be a bit dodgy though.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't do it

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't.

But I wouldn't share a bed with a guy I didn't know either.

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on your relationship. sometimes me and my ex sleep together in my bed when my partner isn't here, he trusts me enough to know that nothing will happen and when we were just friends we shared a bed all the time she he knows that's all it is.

for us, it's perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think that in the situation you were in it would have been fine because there was someone else there & you were at a party. However, I think your friend sleeping in the same bed as her ex isn't right, especially as she doesn't tell her current partner

ReputationRep:
    I had to sleep next to my ex in a squashed tent the other week... my boyfriend doesn't know I slept next to him but I doubt he'd really mind, I don't like him in that way anymore and my boyfriend knows he can trust me!

ReputationRep:
    I've slept in the same bed as my guy friends since being in a relationship with my boyfriend, and told him about it in passing. That said they are really good friends, there's absolutely nothing sexual between us and me and my boyfriend have an amazingly clse and trusting relationship. If i were attracted to the guy then it'd be a different story, not because I'd worry something would happen (I wouldn't let it) but because it's just not right; I hardly think my boyfriend wouldn't appreciate it. If you have to intentionally conceal something from your boyfriend then you know what you're doing/have done is wrong in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it is fine, but I fall asleep anywhere and next to anyone.
    If you didn't feel comfortable that isn't "pathetic" at all though, they should have just switched it so you were just with girls.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't cos it's like saying ur partner shares a bed with a guy everytime she goes to a party. You wouldn't really like it will u? :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.