Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

obessive over music. playing the same songs repeatly for hours Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm posting to see if any one can relate to this.

I have this problem, where I constantly play the same album/song over and over and over again.

For example, i will play the aqualung album back to back all day, everyday. I would even spend all day sitting in my room doing nothing except listen to the album on repeat.

I've been doing this for 7 years now and its now gotten to the point, where when i get home, I HAVE TO play the album, and it will be on repeat constantly until I past out to sleep.

If I don't play the album, I have difficulty concentration on things, or my brain ends up thinking so complex on several different things that I get a stressed and annoyed.

I tried stopping this reliance on music, but nothing seems to work. I've looked up on ocd, but i don't think I have that since I'm not obsessive with cleaning and germs.

Well this is how i like to listen to music; one band or album at a time, but eventually i just get bored

Maybe try varying your tastes? Forcing a change after 50 playcounts on a song or 10 on an album?

If you can do that eventually try having just all your songs on shuffle. And then try not playing them for an hour. Push your "boundaries" so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Most songs I love, then get bored by, then love again. Sometimes though I download a song that I really love, listen to it several times on repeat for about 2 days - I can't stop myself - and then after all that I suddenly feel so sick of the song and how I relate it to whatever mood I was feeling at that time that I never really listen to it again, in one case I went 2 years before listening to a certain song again, and even then it was a one-off. I'm just weird like that. :dontknow: I dunno what to suggest.

Most of all I really hate that feeling of wanting to listen to something, anything, but being completely bored by everything in my collection.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're conditioned to listen to it once you get home, that may be one of the factors.

Try changing the layout of your home, start listening to something else, listen less and less to whatever you listen to most, try going out more? seek professional help maybe?

ReputationRep:
    People should not listen to music this way. Fair enough a couple times when you get it. But more than once in a row after that and somehow the album loses something about it. This is for me anyway.
    That and I get annoyed with people that only ever listen to the same thing. Personal niggling there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    People should not listen to music this way. Fair enough a couple times when you get it. But more than once in a row after that and somehow the album loses something about it. This is for me anyway.
    That and I get annoyed with people that only ever listen to the same thing. Personal niggling there.
    I checked your Last.fm to see if your charts were exponential or not.

It's not, you win!:excited:

ReputationRep:
    find something to do? Get a friend to get rid of the music for you. There problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Most songs I love, then get bored by, then love again. Sometimes though I download a song that I really love, listen to it several times on repeat for about 2 days - I can't stop myself - and then after all that I suddenly feel so sick of the song and how I relate it to whatever mood I was feeling at that time that I never really listen to it again, in one case I went 2 years before listening to a certain song again, and even then it was a one-off. I'm just weird like that. :dontknow: I dunno what to suggest.

Most of all I really hate that feeling of wanting to listen to something, anything, but being completely bored by everything in my collection.
    This is something I don't understand. It happens to me too! I will also play the same song over and over again till I'm sick of it. I hate doing that to myself.

ReputationRep:
    How about trying to wean yourself off it by playing it at a shorter length than before? And then try varying the music, by either forcing yourself to listen to the radio or a playlist with different music?

I put songs on repeat sometimes. I also go through phases where I devour a certain artist's music, but I tend to listen to completely different types of music as well. That way I don't get bored. I get bored fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    Hey i just thought i would post because i suffer from something similar, as a musician I will listen to a song I want to play and then won't be able to listen to anything else until I have memorized all the lyrics and guitar,
    Sometimes I listen to the same song up to a hundred times in a single day. I find it does wonders for my playing but has left me lacking drive to do anything else or even go outside. I find it really hard to sleep if i feel i haven't listened to the song enough or play it to an acceptable standard.
    Does anyone else have a similar habit or know anything about what causes this behavior?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Aha i do this...Well not as dedicated...Since i don't do it with just one song. I change the song. Ill find one im addicted too. Listen to only that for about a week, at which point ill find another song im addicted too and listen to that for a week. Rinse and repeat

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.