Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    At the BSMS open day, the Dean said 'we would be very surprised if someone applied to both BSMS and Peninsula, as we're completely different'. What are the main differences? The only thing I know of is that Brighton and Sussex do dissection and Peninsula doesn't. I was initially looking at both but, having missed the PMS open day, I'm rethinking.

ReputationRep:
    he didnt tell you, macca?

i wonder if he meant the beaches..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    At the BSMS open day, the Dean said 'we would be very surprised if someone applied to both BSMS and Peninsula, as we're completely different'. What are the main differences? The only thing I know of is that Brighton and Sussex do dissection and Peninsula doesn't. I was initially looking at both but, having missed the PMS open day, I'm rethinking.
    Have a look at the course structure for each.Peninsula is a PBL based course while BSMS is more of the traditional pre-clinical/clinical (though do have early clinical experience as well). In general, people will apply to either more PBL based courses or more traditional courses depending on what style of learning suits them best.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Have a look at the course structure for each.Peninsula is a PBL based course while BSMS is more of the traditional pre-clinical/clinical (though do have early clinical experience as well). In general, people will apply to either more PBL based courses or more traditional courses depending on what style of learning suits them best.
    Okay, thanks. Is it generally not a good idea to apply for both? I'm not sure which one I'm suited to.

ReputationRep:
    What're the main differences between problem based learning and the traditional?

ReputationRep:
    Pms > Bsms > Pms

ReputationRep:
    pbl = start at the problem and work on a solution from there, mapping out all the stages and necessary knowledge, in a small dynamic group of people and one tutor. ie real life learning. A bit like sitting in on a careers workshop, a ward nurse 'andover, an office brainstorming session, or a creative meeting, or the therapeutic manager-led meetings of the post office workers in Looking for Eric, or the meeting of the pirates at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At Worlds End.
    reflects real life !

traditional = lecture based so loads of sleepy students sitting silently, being taught by each lecturer teaching different subject areas (seperately like at school, you know, physics, maths, chemistry) that build up towards a clinical problem usually after year 2. reflects school life.

ReputationRep:
    There seems to quite a lot of friendly rivalry between BSMS and PMS, I'm not sure why though!
    The first two years here at PMS are PBL orientated but it's a myth thats all you do. You also have quite a lot of lectures each week based around the core PBL case, as well as several sessions doing life sciences, including anatomy, physiology etc. You are expected to reinforce your knowledge on your own between sessions, but there is also good teaching. On top of this is one day a month on placement - where you are assessed on basic examinations to ensure you can do them in the clinical years without any trouble.
    The clinical years here are very different and focus heavily on clinical placements, with an oral feedback assessment with a consultant every week where you feedback a patient/patients and answer questions on the subject, with each assessment needing to be passed. I found this really helps you to learn the subject and is an excellent way to learn. As well as this there lectures/tutorials etc which fit around this.
    Yes we dont do dissection, and i guess this for a lot of people this is the biggest people about pms, but if it helps we do a lot of anatomy in the preclinical years and we continue to do it right through to the fifth year, so it gets done.
    Also its a myth that we don't have a preclinical/clinical divide, we do and its a big one!
    I don't know what BSMS is like, i know one of my friends had offers from both and choose PMS because the had heard the teaching hospital in brighton is terrible - but i have no idea. Also, i dont know if this is true but a doctor here told us that the whole first cohort at BSMS had to be held back or something to get extra teaching - is that true?

Anyway, PMS is good, dont not come just because we dont do dissection!

ReputationRep:
    PBL = Start with a problem and procrastinate from there, arguing about every facet of what work might need to be done along the way getting screwed over by your group, and generally wasting huge tracts of time, and never quite knowing what will come up in the exams.

Traditional = Either sleep through all your lectures and learn from the handouts in the library later, or learn in the lectures and have lots of free time. Pick up hints on exam questions, rule out vast swathes of stuff from the exam and don't bother with it. Far more time efficient and reliable in my experience at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Pms > Bsms > Pms
    Explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    PBL = Start with a problem and procrastinate from there, arguing about every facet of what work might need to be done along the way getting screwed over by your group, and generally wasting huge tracts of time, and never quite knowing what will come up in the exams.

Traditional = Either sleep through all your lectures and learn from the handouts in the library later, or learn in the lectures and have lots of free time. Pick up hints on exam questions, rule out vast swathes of stuff from the exam and don't bother with it. Far more time efficient and reliable in my experience at least.
    I suppose that does work in the outer hebrides terp, but PBL sounds very much like fun

ReputationRep:
    In my experience PBL certainly hasn't been like what you've described above - but then that's just my experience at PMS. I really think at PMS you have a solid base of lectures as well as PBL which I think gives you elements of both PBL and traditional courses, maybe even the best of both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I suppose that does work in the outer hebrides terp, but PBL sounds very much like fun
    PBL here is about as much fun as trying to stop a train with your testicles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic400)
    There seems to quite a lot of friendly rivalry between BSMS and PMS, I'm not sure why though!
    The first two years here at PMS are PBL orientated but it's a myth thats all you do. You also have quite a lot of lectures each week based around the core PBL case, as well as several sessions doing life sciences, including anatomy, physiology etc. You are expected to reinforce your knowledge on your own between sessions, but there is also good teaching. On top of this is one day a month on placement - where you are assessed on basic examinations to ensure you can do them in the clinical years without any trouble.
    The clinical years here are very different and focus heavily on clinical placements, with an oral feedback assessment with a consultant every week where you feedback a patient/patients and answer questions on the subject, with each assessment needing to be passed. I found this really helps you to learn the subject and is an excellent way to learn. As well as this there lectures/tutorials etc which fit around this.
    Yes we dont do dissection, and i guess this for a lot of people this is the biggest people about pms, but if it helps we do a lot of anatomy in the preclinical years and we continue to do it right through to the fifth year, so it gets done.
    Also its a myth that we don't have a preclinical/clinical divide, we do and its a big one!
    I don't know what BSMS is like, i know one of my friends had offers from both and choose PMS because the had heard the teaching hospital in brighton is terrible - but i have no idea. Also, i dont know if this is true but a doctor here told us that the whole first cohort at BSMS had to be held back or something to get extra teaching - is that true?
    Anyway, PMS is good, dont not come just because we dont do dissection!
    Funnily enough I heard the same thing about PMS. I think it's just rumour.

ReputationRep:
    Must be a rumour then! Maybe it was HYMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    PBL here is about as much fun as trying to stop a train with your testicles.
    :rofl:
    because its st andrews, and theres not enough things to do, I assume
    join the Highland Games society!

ReputationRep:
    Must be a rumour then! Maybe it was HYMS?
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was said about all the new medical schools. Likely stems from the older, 'prestigeous' (I use that word tongue in cheek) schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl:
    because its st andrews, and theres not enough things to do, I assume
    join the Highland Games society!
    There's heaps to do, and pissing around researching 'problem based scenarios' is far far more of an unnecessary drain on my time than anything I've yet to encounter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was said about all the new medical schools. Likely stems from the older, 'prestigeous' (I use that word tongue in cheek) schools.
    Wouldn't suprise me either to be honest. Although doctors around here seem to be come around to the idea that just because a medical school is new that doesnt make it automatically bad.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't suprise me either to be honest. Although doctors around here seem to be come around to the idea that just because a medical school is new that doesnt make it automatically bad.
    The original BSMS course was designed directly from southamptons, so its not as if they just made up from scratch a new syllabus and hoped it will work. They used one that they know works. I suspect it's the same with PMS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.