Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You could be indifferent to both types of course :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    There's heaps to do, and pissing around researching 'problem based scenarios' is far far more of an unnecessary drain on my time than anything I've yet to encounter.
    i suppose it is attractive in that it would probably stick in your head better ready for exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    i suppose it is attractive in that it would probably stick in your head better ready for exams
    I'd personally think lectures would stick in my mind better, so long as I don't fall asleep, that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)

Not really, I find learning ready made notes to be far more effective, partly admittedly because they come with the guarantee you have everything you need to know there. As such one doesn't find oneself learning stuff that won't come up.

All the stuff we have done with PBL I simply remember as being a highly unpleasant experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I'd personally think lectures would stick in my mind better, so long as I don't fall asleep, that is.
    Yup, there is nothing quite like reading an exam question, and your anatomy lecturer popping into your head and reciting off a list of points about the inguinal ligament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    The original BSMS course was designed directly from southamptons, so its not as if they just made up from scratch a new syllabus and hoped it will work. They used one that they know works. I suspect it's the same with PMS.
    Yes ours too, and also the course have all been validated and we now have 3 years of doctors graduated who have had no problems getting F2/ST/CT jobs and who appear to be doing pretty well. I think it'll just take a few more years for us to be properly accepted by other medical schools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic400)
    Yes ours too, and also the course have all been validated and we now have 3 years of doctors graduated who have had no problems getting F2/ST/CT jobs and who appear to be doing pretty well. I think it'll just take a few more years for us to be properly accepted by other medical schools!

Exactly. Im sure Southampton had the same problem back in the 70s when it was established. Nowadays - no one bats an eyelid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    lol, thats cause youve just spent the last 12 odd years being talked at with you sat down and a teacher saying things which you then wrote down and revised afterwards

(Original post by terpineol)
    Not really, I find learning ready made notes to be far more effective, partly admittedly because they come with the guarantee you have everything you need to know there. As such one doesn't find oneself learning stuff that won't come up.

All the stuff we have done with PBL I simply remember as being a highly unpleasant experience.
    I can tell your like doing your work and getting it out of the way, do you not sit up awake at night anticipating what your going to do tommorow
    yes I will concur that it probably will make you more confident that you'll pass exams, but a change of scenery would be very nice indeed
    in my head a lecture theatre looks all dark and disturbing but a PBL session is nice and bright

ReputationRep:
    wif respect, terps, thats probably becos stAs PBL is in an embryonic stage.

they've done the right thing to go towards PBL, becos that opretty much exclusively what you'll be doing every week of your life pretty soon. so best to be prepared, and pity the poor fools who are stuck in school mode and cant keep up wif you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    wif respect, terps, thats probably becos stAs PBL is in an embryonic stage.
    Indeed, I would hope that somewhere doing larger amounts of it would find a way to make it at least level with a dissecting aortic aneurysm in terms of general unpleasantness.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ lol
    sounds like you admit crap students on your course.

admittedly lecture based courses ave the advantage that you can miss all the lectures and go on oliday for year 1. Or it allowes you to get a full time job all year (to a lesser extent in year 2 as well) -in fact, this is the only way i could ave gone to university.

of course, i only skip em becos they are pointless once you get the 'andouts, so what we are really saying is that lectures are actually crap.

and you can always catch up on them wif lecture podcasts the week before the exam heehee!

i'' admit that we admit a fair share of crap med students too, and our few 'PBL' style seminars we get are so limited becos our class is full of skool children its unbelievable.

our calibre isnt quite Peninsula.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ lol
    sounds like you admit crap students on your course.

admittedly lecture based courses ave the advantage that you can miss all the lectures and go on oliday for year 1. Or it allowes you to get a full time job all year (to a lesser extent in year 2 as well) -in fact, this is the only way i could ave gone to university.

of course, i only skip em becos they are pointless once you get the 'andouts, so what we are really saying is that lectures are actually crap.

and you can always catch up on them wif lecture podcasts the week before the exam heehee!
    We get all the hand outs months ahead, the only advantage of going to the lectures is picking up hints from the lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    ahh, i bet you dont get podcasts, macca.

ReputationRep:
    ahh, i bet you dont get podcasts, macca.
    Only for anatomy, those are all available from the start of first year.

ReputationRep:
    nice one, StAs, we could learn from that.

theres ope yet for us to get our Dissecting Room closed forever!

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Brighton over Peninsula- i mean, c'mon it's in BRIGHTON. Brighton= amazing. Beach, Great shops (the laines), amazing night life.
    Obviously go for the one the you are most drawn to.
    I'm now at brighton and on the open day i just felt like it was the right place for me to go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.