Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...rejection.html

The increased competition means that an average of seven applicants will be fighting for every university place on offer through the clearing system. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    better than the 40 graduates to every graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Such is life. And those graduate job figures are alarming.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, got my place!

God, I'm really joking, I feel so sorry for college students working their arses off only to find 3 As wasn't necessarily the ticket to the course and university they wanted. And the graduate figures absolutely terrify me, especially as the field I want to go into is quite small.

ReputationRep:
    labour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    I don't care, got my place!

God, I'm really joking, I feel so sorry for college students working their arses off only to find 3 As wasn't necessarily the tickets to the course and university they wanted. And the graduate figures absolutely terrify me, especially as the field I want to go into is quite small.
    I was one of those students last year. Got my 3 A's and had no offers. I was so tired of the UCAS system that I didn't bother with clearing. So I said hello a gap year, but then the recession happened :rolleyes:

Those graduate job figures should improve slightly by the time we graduate, hopefully. If not, here's to an insane amount of work experience and networking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piiineapple)
    labour...
    Yep :mad: NEW Labour. How I seethe.

(Original post by Moroseblight)
    I was one of those students last year. Got my 3 A's and had no offers. I was so tired of the UCAS system that I didn't bother with clearing. So I said hello a gap year, but then the recession happened :rolleyes:

Those graduate job figures should improve slightly by the time we graduate, hopefully. If not, here's to an insane amount of work experience and networking!
    If I could send an alcoholic drink through the screen, I would, but cheers to that. Good luck, eh.

ReputationRep:
    this is bad for the people who have to go through clearing

ReputationRep:
    labour...
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    If I could send an alcoholic drink through the screen, I would, but cheers to that. Good luck, eh.
    :cheers: Best of luck! To us and those poor souls who must go through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing places will be full within a few hours this year? Will their servers crash? Busy phone lines...

ReputationRep:
    Oh deep joy!

ReputationRep:
    As if I wasn't worried enough...

ReputationRep:
    god i would hate not to get into med school. Thats like 30 applicants for every place NOW imaging what it will be like in 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    Oh woooohooo! :woo:

:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    labour...
    What were the figures pre '97?

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain that I'll make my firm offer but if I do exceed it then it looks like getting a place at a higher Uni is going to be next to impossible

ReputationRep:
    But they are just using the pattern of last year to predict that 130,000 will lose their place, so it isn't certain that 130,000 will go into clearing

(Original post by Newspaper Article)
    At this point in the admissions process last year, 540,108 students had applied for places. Following clearing, a total of 456,627 were accepted on to full-time undergraduate course, which means 83,481 failed to find places. Although the number of places on offer has increased by 13,000 this year, the huge rise in applications – to more than 600,000 – means more than 130,000 applicants could be left disappointed, although some of these will fail their exams, go on gap years or withdraw their application for other reasons.
    Stress on could!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I'm almost certain that I'll make my firm offer but if I do exceed it then it looks like getting a place at a higher Uni is going to be next to impossible
    You'd get a higher place through clearing in other years and convince you're uni to release you?

ReputationRep:
    So if a Conservative government comes in, will this situation change? Will the Tories place massive tax hikes on the rich to fund the extra university places?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.