Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TheSweetestDrug*)
    thanks for worrying us even more than we already were..!

If you are determined though, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm operating on that principle. How often do you hear people say 'I was so determined and tried my hardest', but failed at everything they did and didn't get anywhere in life? I'm yet to meet one person. So that simple fact of nature is consolation!

Btw, to make matters worse, if Mandelson gets his way, applicants from poor families get a two-grade "headstart".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6788798.ece

How does he know if an applicant is "poor" or not?

What if there was a family earning e.g. £75,000 (rich family) but had 6 children?

Or what if there was a family earning e.g. £25,000 (poor family), with one child?

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:
    That's terrifying. I don't think it's done good for my blood pressure as of late :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livefast)
    If you are determined though, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm operating on that principle. How often do you hear people say 'I was so determined and tried my hardest', but failed at everything they did and didn't get anywhere in life? I'm yet to meet one person. So that simple fact of nature is consolation!
    i'm almost certain that i'm gonna go through clearing so this has just made me panic..i'm gonna BEG uni's to take me..i won't take no for an answer..very determined after your 'pep talk'..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piiineapple)
    labour...

(Original post by neodymium)
    This.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    +1

What were the stats pre '97?

What could another administration do? Stop clearing?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Glad I haven't deferred entry? I think so. I just hope to jeebus that the news is good news in a week and a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Labour has planned for their increase in uni places for their 50% scheme. the massive increase in applicants isn't due to that, loads of people didnt just decide hey the labour government said we must all go to university lets go.

The applications are up because of the recessions, people want to weather the storm in the gleaming white towers of university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    Ouch. What did you apply for?
    Law. I was naive then and hadn't yet discovered TSR :p: I changed midway to English, but struck no luck with that either in Extra. *shrugs*

(Original post by M_E_X)
    I think there's more to the story than meets the eye here. Either you did crappy A-levels, wrote a poor PS (personal statement) or applied to the wrong unviersities for your abilities.
    First off, am I being used as some sort of all-important illustration for your argument? >.> Leave me out of your argument.

I don't think anything is ever as simple as that. From what I was told by someone in the admins office of UCL, an application could be rejected on anything as simple as the candidate citing a book or including a quotation that they didn't like. *shrugs* When I had asked for feedback in regard to my application, the response I received was "the course is oversubscribed" or there was an "increase in competition" this year.

English Lit & Lang, History and Law, the latter being the "crappy A-level". AS Chem. Crappy enough subjects for you? But oh no! It must have been my personal statement! Or perhaps it was all three and a lot more!

Heaps of people get uni places with a lot less than AAA at A-level , so if you got AAA and didn't get a place it's not the systems fault, it's not the gov't fault, it's more than likely your fault for the reasons listed above.
    Good for them. And cheers for pointing out the obvious :rolleyes:

There are heaps of unis people get in to with less than AAA, what makes your case so special?
    Here we go again with the heaps of people. Hurrah for them!

I never said my case was special o.O And did I ever blame the system? I said I was merely tired of it at that point, and with good reason. I certainly don't hold any grudges against UCAS or the government. If anything I was failed by my tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What were the stats pre '97?
    I dunno, y u askin me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    That graduate job figure is misleading. It implies that there are (for example) 400,000 graduates but only 10,000 jobs. Which just isn't true.

The actual statistic is that for every job there are 40 applicants which is something completely different. It will only imply the prior statement if each applicant was only applying for one job which obviously isn't true.

Say there were 40 graduates and 40 jobs, and each applicant applied for all 40 jobs available. Then you'd end up with the same statistic (40 apps per job) but everyone would still get a job.
    Aha, thanks for explaining that!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, y u askin me?!
    Well if you're blaming 'labour' then presumably fewer people were going in for clearing before 1997. Or are you just guessing 130,000 (max guess) is 'worse'?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well if you're blaming 'labour' then presumably fewer people were going in for clearing before 1997. Or are you just guessing 130,000 (max guess) is 'worse'?
    Well surely what has happened has happened. It's now history. We need to look at what Labour is doing at the moment to help us students get into uni. There is no point looking at figues from 1997 unless it guarantees you a place at ur firm, which is certainly does not.

ReputationRep:
    Well surely what has happened has happened. It's now history. We need to look at what Labour is doing at the moment to help us students get into uni. There is no point looking at figues from 1997 unless it guarantees you a place at ur firm, which is certainly does not.
    Surely if you get the grades for your offer you are...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Surely if you get the grades for your offer you are...?
    I hopefully will. But not everyone will will they?

ReputationRep:
    I hopefully will. But not everyone will will they?
    So were you saying that if someone gets an offer of AAB and they get CCD then they should be let in?

Whats the point in having the legally binding offer?

How's that changed in the last 15 years?

ReputationRep:
    its quite alright with me, luckily i've planned for various options. me and my old man will try and start up a business!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for brightening my day up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So were you saying that if someone gets an offer of AAB and they get CCD then they should be let in?

Whats the point in having the legally binding offer?

How's that changed in the last 15 years?
    Nope. We were talking about clearing wernt we? If someone's offer is AAB and they happened to get AAC by a close margin, they should be allowed in. However they cant this year coz the labour government doesnt find it appropriate to invest enough courses for higher education because of which there will be many students taking gap years when they could have gone uni.

Imagine some 1 in the above situation. Surely they would be very p*ssed coz they missed their offer narrowly and have to take a gap year coz
    a) Their uni is oversubscribed for that course than usual

b) There are not enough places in clearing/too competitive.

So they end up wasting a year by taking a gap year when they could have done something fruitful.

All of this can be avoided if and only if the labour government wakes up and starts investing more in higher education sensibly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.