Turn on thread page Beta

130,000 face university place rejection watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't read the Daily Mail but even so most of what this article is true...

Damn the recession....:mad:

25% rise in applications for places like Portsmouth is weird tho...what have they got that no-one else has? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    You're lucky my pimp hand is asleep . My pimp hand does not appreciate duplicate threads.
    can we transfer your neg onto the op's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    can we transfer your neg onto the op's?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    "But despite turning away record numbers of UK students, universities are still recruiting heavily for overseas candidates who pay up to £20,000 a year in tuition fees.
    There is no bar on the number of international students they can take but they face financial penalties if they exceed strict Government quotas for UK students."

Can I ask why they felt the need to include this or what relevance this has to the article? More sensationalist tripe from the daily fail by taking subtle digs and trying to stir up dislike for foreigners. Lack of real facts aswell I think. No one has actually put a figure on anything, just that people wil need to explore options fairly rapidly. This is news to no one.

ReputationRep:
    Heartbreak, fight for places, numbers falling fast... OH THE DRAMA! This article is terrible.

University places should remain competitive..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I don't read the Daily Mail but even so most of what this article is true...

Damn the recession....:mad:

25% rise in applications for places like Portsmouth is weird tho...what have they got that no-one else has? :confused:
    Low Entry Requirements?

ReputationRep:
    Battle you say?

Finally a good idea - survival of the fittest. I hope this battle is televised.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares the ones with the highest rise in applicants are the ones I least want to go to. As long as SOAS,LSE,Warwick remain low it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    well thats a shame for people who fail
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    Battle you say?

Finally a good idea - survival of the fittest. I hope this battle is televised.
    Battle Royale style! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    i think i am going to hate about this is its going to become a big political issue full of hot air for a few weeks then done with it, forgotten until next year, which will be painful for people and bring up hate, for messing up someone dream, and nothing will change

while the poor people that have missed out its going to play on them for a while, the recession is not helping as you hearing off stories of people going back to uni to gain new skills, and on top on cut backs on spending for the uni, there are just too many people fighting for so few spaces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    well thats a shame for people who fail
    :awesome:
    ahhh you jerk!

I lol'd tho :p:

Anyway, every news paper for the mail, to the times, to the telegraph, run a similar article each year at this time which never fails to make already stressed exam students the nation over cack themselves.

but yay for manchester only having 1.2%. hope that bodes well for me...

ReputationRep:
    lets have cage matches decide

I'm only saying that because I've already got a place :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ Bucks Uni having a 38.7% rise... they only opened in the last few years!

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it's good in a way, as universities need to remain competitive, otherwise what's the point?

I think I'm going to be one of those 150,000 though, which is going to suck.

ReputationRep:
    Glad Bath is my firm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum Honisett)
    Glad Bath is my firm!
    because you want to go to the unpopular uni? Not thought about why the numbers might be down? :P

ReputationRep:
    Good thing I've got my place then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgEGNT)
    Good thing I've got my place then!
    Unconditional?

ReputationRep:
    why no mention of durham, does that mean its not changed *hoping*

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.