Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Diferred entry ftw!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional offer, through being a mature student, feel guilty that people who studied for 2 years have to rely on results and i dont

ReputationRep:
    UCL weren't in clearing last year either, so I don't think it's really relevant that it isn't this year either. Likewise, for the previous two years Bristol has only entered clearing for audiology. I'd presume it's a similar story for other top unis. It isn't a sign of crisis that the very best universities don't enter clearing, just logic.
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    "But despite turning away record numbers of UK students, universities are still recruiting heavily for overseas candidates who pay up to £20,000 a year in tuition fees.
    There is no bar on the number of international students they can take but they face financial penalties if they exceed strict Government quotas for UK students."

Can I ask why they felt the need to include this or what relevance this has to the article? More sensationalist tripe from the daily fail by taking subtle digs and trying to stir up dislike for foreigners.
    So now the Daily Mail can't even mention foreigners, without being racist? It's relevant that universities are recruiting heavuily overseas. It's a fair question, I think- why are universities taking a lot of international students when there are hundreds of thousands of home students who will miss out on places? We're not talking about a few internationals and the Daily Mail's making it sound like more than it is, at some universities up to a third of students are from overseas. It's not racist to question whether it's fair to fill almost one in three places with internationals, at the expense of home students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    So will it not be the case that international students will miss out on places? The article is talking about people missing out on places. Not about British people missing out on places, therefore why mention it ?

And when have I even branded the daily fail racist anyway ? I've accused them of stirring up bad feeling for foreigners, but there are certainly no racist comments in the article . As for the amount of foreign students applying then I'm afraid that's what will happen when you have one of the best university teaching worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wpr/

ReputationRep:
    So will it not be the case that international students will miss out on places? The article is talking about people missing out on places. Not about British people missing out on places, therefore why mention it ?

And when have I even branded the daily fail racist anyway ? I've accused them of stirring up bad feeling for foreigners, but there are certainly no racist comments in the article . As for the amount of foreign students applying then I'm afraid that's what will happen when you have one of the best university teaching worldwide.
    The point is that non-EU students will not be missing out on places. Universities are lining up to offer them places seeing as they pay full fees; their fees aren't subsidised by the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    The point is that non-EU students will not be missing out on places. Universities are lining up to offer them places seeing as they pay full fees; their fees aren't subsidised by the government.
    So your telling me all non-EU students will get in regardless? As i said this isn't even the point that the headline and first few paragraphs suggest. It states 150,000 face heartbreak. Surely if they were really making a statement about this it would be 150,00 british students face heartbreak?

ReputationRep:
    So your telling me all non-EU students will get in regardless? As i said this isn't even the point that the headline and first few paragraphs suggest. It states 150,000 face heartbreak. Surely if they were really making a statement about this it would be 150,00 british students face heartbreak?
    This is nothing new. Universities regularly advertise places only open to foreign applicants.

ReputationRep:
    This is nothing new. Universities regularly advertise places only open to foreign applicants.
    I know this... wasn't the question I asked though was it?

Do all non EU students get in regardless of there current situation ?

ReputationRep:
    I know this... wasn't the question I asked though was it?

Do all non EU students get in regardless of there current situation ?
    Calm down. Of course they don't. The point I was making is that even if universities claim they don't have spaces (which may be true for home students), many will still offer places to non EU applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down. Of course they don't. The point I was making is that even if universities claim they don't have spaces (which may be true for home students), many will still offer places to non EU applicants.
    lolol I am always calm so no need to worry about that. And of course they will, because they will have motives, wrongly or rightly, to get as much cash as they can get their manky hands on.

I still cant see what this has to do with 150,000 facing heartbreak when if it was the british students getting in it would be the foreigners missing out, therefore the 150,000 number would still remain unnaffected. So this adds no value or relevance to the article. However if it was 150,000 british kids then fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Unconditional?
    Yeah I'm 19 and already have my results. Still had to have an interview and things though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.