Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried this?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/health...ers/article.do

ReputationRep:
    Well, its not like my trainers are going to do anything against 140 kilos worth of bar if it lands on my foot so it wouldnt be too bad.

Though for climbing, my sexy new shoes are definitely needed

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but if a 20kg plate rolled and tipped on to your foot, shoes would be quite useful then.

ReputationRep:
    True that, and with shoes you have something handy to slap someone with if they mention leg press (move up to plate then bar if they move it onto leg curl then machine bench).

ReputationRep:
    Question -

If you had to choose between wearing no shoes or running shoes to lift in which would you pick?

Rip's response:

"That is like asking me to choose between stabbing myself in the eye with a fork or burning the roof of my mouth with extremely hot pizza.

Can't we just avoid both?"

ReputationRep:
    I tried barefoot running, on grass. It felt pretty good. I got these weird blisters on my second toe on each foot though. Not a big issue.

ReputationRep:
    If there's any truth in this, then smashed glass on jogging paths is going to be the new happy slapping.

ReputationRep:
    The anti-shoe brigade claim that footwear constricts our feet and inhibits natural movement, leaving us prone to injuries, pain and postural problems.
    Not everyone is created equally, barefoot running is not a universal panacea. There is a lot of variation in human conformation and biomechanics, yes some people can run barefoot and injury free, equally a lot can't, a lot need supportive trainers and orthoses.

Horses (particularly race horses) are another good example, yes some run shoeless, but equally a lot require specially crafted shoes to correct biomechanical problems to get them to run better and/or prevent injury. People wearing glasses is also, another example, some people have 20/20 vision and don't need glasses, equally a lot don't and need glasses. I hope you can see that boycotting glasses isn't going to improve people's vision or quality of life and vice versa.

Barefoot running isn't absolve of injury, in fact there is a much higher risk of achilles injuries running barefoot than there is shod.

Some small studies have suggested that wearing trainers when working out uses more energy, and that barefoot exercisers use about four per cent less oxygen during the course of a workout.
    What sort of impact on performance does this have? Very little if at all, but hey, it fits the barefoot agenda.

They also neglect to say that shod runners are able to run faster than their barefoot/Pose/Chi counterparts.

In 2007, researchers at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa published a study that examined 180 people from three different population groups (Sotho, Zulu, and European).

Comparing their feet as well as those of 2,000-year-old skeletons.

The researchers concluded that, prior to the invention of shoes, people had healthier feet.

Among the modern subjects, Zulus, who often go barefoot, had the healthiest feet while the Europeans had the unhealthiest.
    A lot has changed since the introduction of shoes. Your average Western runner runs on a hell of a lot more tarmac and concrete than their Zulu mates who run on more forgiving surfaces like mud, grass, light tracks, etc. Your average Westerner is inactive, overweight and has a poor diet, undoubtedly this is going to have a negative effect on their overall health, not just their feet and running ability.

Also bear in mind that in some societies, past and present, there is a selection pressure for people who can run well, who have good biomechanics. Someone with poor genetics is less likely to survive and pass on their poor genes. In Western society, in modern day society, there isn't this pressure so it's only natural that we're going to see less fit and less healthy individuals.

Other researchers studied people with arthritis in the knee, who for years have been advised to wear highly padded shoes to reduce stress in their joints.

One team of rheumatologists in Chicago compared the effects of their arthritic patients walking in shoes to going barefoot.

They found that the impact on their knees was 12 per cent less when they went without footwear.
    This gives no indication as to how they were running before and after (ie; technique, speed, weight, etc).

Barefoot runners and walkers also push up more easily from the toes without the inflexibility of shoes to hamper their natural movement and tend to land in the middle of their foot, which can improve running form and reduce injury.
    Midfoot running is a technique which can be easily applied to shod running (and it is). The problem is that there is a lot of poor information out there, people have been advised for decades to land on their heel, only recently has this been disproven.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.