The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1
Having never lived in an Lboro house (4 years in halls!), I can't really offer much advice on which ISP is best, however I can offer this little bit of advice from some friends who were in a house and decided to ignore my advice :p:

DO NOT go for Tiscali!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
virign is best if you can get it. Any normal non-cable broadband isnt brill in luf cos of the amount of ppl tht use it.
Reply 3
thomasp
Having never lived in an Lboro house (4 years in halls!), I can't really offer much advice on which ISP is best, however I can offer this little bit of advice from some friends who were in a house and decided to ignore my advice :p:

DO NOT go for Tiscali!

Hehe:p: Cool, thanks for the advice.. i'll have in mind!:smile:

e_clark
virign is best if you can get it. Any normal non-cable broadband isnt brill in luf cos of the amount of ppl tht use it.

What do you mean by "if you can get it"? I put my houses' postcode on their site and i can get up to 20Mbit! So i guess that this is a good thing!
Unless you mean something else..!:smile:
Reply 4
yes, if it says that you're fine, but not all areas are cabled, there are some places in lufbra where you can't get virgin cos they don't have cable there!
Were getting 50MB Virgin woop! At what was meant to be our house it was no cable and 2Mb max speed :redface:
Think we will get virgin HD too :biggrin:
But worst comes to the worst, I will download on wifi in lectures/library...
Reply 6
e_clark
yes, if it says that you're fine, but not all areas are cabled, there are some places in lufbra where you can't get virgin cos they don't have cable there!

Ah cool then!:smile: Thanks!!

rorydaredking
Were getting 50MB Virgin woop! At what was meant to be our house it was no cable and 2Mb max speed :redface:
Think we will get virgin HD too :biggrin:
But worst comes to the worst, I will download on wifi in lectures/library...

hah, that's kinda a sh*t situation ! So you are seriously considering on attending the lectures next year!?!:p:
For us it's gonna be: "We've just tested your phone line and it looks like the speed we'll be able to deliver to your home is between 6.0Mb and 7.0Mb"
Which is not very bad... considering..:biggrin:

Rosaaa
Virgin is good if you can get cable. Had it last year and no complaints.
Was on the 10meg one and was getting 1.1mb/sec downloads :smile:

However this year our house is a new build and can't get cable :frown:
I've heard Virgin are rubbish for their normal broadband.
So going to try o2 as they are currently giving 2 months free on all their packages!
As I'm an o2 phone contract customer already, I can get 8meg for £7.34 a month or 20meg for £9.70 a month.
(In comparison Virgin is like £15/month for 20meg)

Apparently the average is 6.5/7mb in Loughborough, but I can't remember what website I got that from oops.

This actually sounds like a pretty good deal!
But since internet has become a vital education tool these days, i don't mind spending a few more bucks on it, just for the peace of mind!..
Reply 7
remember with normal broadband though you still have to pay bt for the privledge of line rental at £11 a month (and you get to deal with Bt, enjoy! I am never ever ever going to use them again if I can help it!)
Reply 8
e_clark
remember with normal broadband though you still have to pay bt for the privledge of line rental at £11 a month (and you get to deal with Bt, enjoy! I am never ever ever going to use them again if I can help it!)

Yeah, yeah i know that!:smile: It's gonna be 26pounds/month the first 3 months and 31 for the rest of the year. And we also get unlimited weekend calls.:woo: :p:
Reply 9
Will be getting approximately 18mb download speed with o2 apparently, although this may alter slightly depending on how close to exchange but I did some googling and we're very close :smile:
Reply 10
Rosaaa

I've heard Virgin are rubbish for their normal broadband.

It's pretty much the same no matter what company with normal broadband, they all have to use the same copper cable infrastructure rented off BT, so it'll be the same.

The fibre optic is great if you can get it in your area though like you said.
Reply 11
Not sure if you guys have heard/used cashback sites, but as I was researching for the cheapest ISP's as I'm moving into a house this year, I've found that Virgin Media have the following cashback offer of £150! Check out this link:

http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/

Also, if you are still going to go to O2, then there's also an offer for them:

http://www.quidco.com/o2-home-broadband/

Unfortunately, the previous tenants where I'm going to live haven't used the BT landline, therefore it's classed as inactive and I'd have to pay £120 or so to get it reconnected. Hence, I'll more than likely go to Virgin Media, but have to get housemate's opinion first...
Reply 12
hessajee

Unfortunately, the previous tenants where I'm going to live haven't used the BT landline, therefore it's classed as inactive and I'd have to pay £120 or so to get it reconnected. Hence, I'll more than likely go to Virgin Media, but have to get housemate's opinion first...

Won't you need the line reactivated anyway though? There only is one phone line.
Reply 13
Treben
Won't you need the line reactivated anyway though? There only is one phone line.

If the BT phone line was in use by previous tenants, and you moved in straight after them, then I believe you don't need to pay the activation fee, but don't quote me on that. I cannot remember the exact conversation with the BT Sales rep, but it was something along those lines.

If your thinking of getting BT, just call up their sales department and see if you'll need to pay the activation fee or not, as they'll be able to check on their systems whether it has been active/inactive, etc...
Reply 14
That quidco website isn't the best thing to rely on.
My bf used it for an o2 phone deal and he followed the steps precisely and it's not being tracked. He tried this twice.

As for reconnecting BT line, we've just had to do that. We're being charged £12.50/month for BT line.
A connection fee wasn't mentioned.

Latest

Trending

Trending