Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spots around my mouth - there MUST be another reason! Watch

I'm nearly 18 and have had spots probably for consistently 3 years, and it is ALWAYS around my mouth and on chin! Like below the nostril, in the fold between my lower lip and chin, on my cheek near my mouth.. is it actually possible that acne can choose where it wants to go so darn consistently or is something else causing it?

I was thinking maybe me touching my skin around there more to feel what my facial hair is up to? (i think i do it subconciously)

or any other reason?

its really annoying me now, i've been on products that i KNOW should have worked by now and i've been so consistent, I am sick and tired of waking up to find another spot on my moustache-area (not that i have one, just making it eaiser to imagine)
    gah
    advice please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm nearly 18 and have had spots probably for consistently 3 years, and it is ALWAYS around my mouth and on chin! Like below the nostril, in the fold between my lower lip and chin, on my cheek near my mouth.. is it actually possible that acne can choose where it wants to go so darn consistently or is something else causing it?

I was thinking maybe me touching my skin around there more to feel what my facial hair is up to? (i think i do it subconciously)

or any other reason?

its really annoying me now, i've been on products that i KNOW should have worked by now and i've been so consistent, I am sick and tired of waking up to find another spot on my moustache-area (not that i have one, just making it eaiser to imagine)
    gah
    advice please
    I'm thinking it probably is the whole touching your face thing. Don't worry, it'll probably go away eventually. Try to pay better attention to what you're doing with your hands and face.

Also, you might want to see a doctor about it, if you're worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    shaving with a poor quality blunt razor!

ReputationRep:
    Acne can't 'choose' where it wants to go, but apparently you are more likely to get it around your mouth (must be to do with your genetics). Count yourself lucky, I've only recently started getting spots all over my neck and in my eyelashes. I also very occasionally get one lonely spot either on my thighs or on my forearms!

I know it should go away eventually but I was really planning for this summer to be the summer i got clear before uni, and despite cleansing, treating then moisturizing my skin VERY strictly twice a day, they just wont go away

ReputationRep:
    Someone's been using Bic disposable razors.

Quinoderm is amazing, try that.

ReputationRep:
    how's your diet? if you eat a lot of greasy junk cut it all out. drink lots of water. and never put concealer on them it just feeds them and they spread more.

or any other reason?

gah
    advice please
    You're probably irritating the area too much in various ways. Between touching it a lot, shaving it and over-treating the skin. I used to have the exact same problem. I got over it by...

a) Not touching my face so much
    b) Switching to one of the Lush face-cleaning products
    c) Growing a beard (you don't have to keep it, but it'll give your face a rest from shaving)

ReputationRep:
    Exfoliate!

ReputationRep:
    I know it should go away eventually but I was really planning for this summer to be the summer i got clear before uni, and despite cleansing, treating then moisturizing my skin VERY strictly twice a day, they just wont go away
    Time to say good bye to some of your products, maybe thats what causing it to be worse? Also seek a GP for prescription, hopefully their cream will solve the issue in weeks time of usage.

I'd usually think a healthy lifestyle and exercise is the key but considering your symptoms lasting for several years, you may have a condition. Can be easily treatable if u seek GP and before you know it. Cleared before university

(Original post by BettySwollocks)
    Try Quinoderm twice a day on the affected areas after cleansing and before moisturising.
    Have used Quinoderm exactly with that procedure for about 18 months. I'm thinking my skin has gotten used to it..maybe i need to put it on 3, 4 times a day?

(Original post by TheMeister)
    Quinoderm is amazing, try that.
    See above

(Original post by ldmoore1)
    how's your diet? if you eat a lot of greasy junk cut it all out. drink lots of water. and never put concealer on them it just feeds them and they spread more.
    Yeah i don't eat that well..I live with my parents still and theres often not that much food to cook myself. When i get a meal made for me ( :P ) its always good food, however on my own i can just resort to pizza etc.. Will try and cut it out.

(Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Exfoliate!
    Does this actually help? Never really done it much.

(Original post by 2Av)
    Time to say good bye to some of your products, maybe thats what causing it to be worse? Also seek a GP for prescription, hopefully their cream will solve the issue in weeks time of usage.
    All i do is what has been reccomended from alot of advice sites on the internet, which is to Cleanse, Treat, then moisturise. I use clean and clear cleanser, treat with Quinoderm, then moisturise with boots fragrance+chemical free moisturiser. I'm thinking i might have to change the cleanser since i've only seen positive reviews of Quinoderm online!

I think I should also let you guys know that my skin overall is alot better than it was say 2 years ago. It just pisses me off when I have bad breakouts of say, 5 really sore looking spots (normally like 3 below my nose, one on my chin and sometimes really thick ones on my lower cheeks). Its times like those (eg the reason i've written here today) that make me really frustrated and long for clear skin.

I've also got quiet a few red marks from old spots, and once winter comes along i can get really depressed with them as in the cold my face goes all pale and the red marks show up more and take over my whole face.. arg.

ReputationRep:
    For the red marks try sudocrem I get a lot of spots on and off round my chin that I get scared will scar but I put sudocrem on the spots like a mask overnight or whenever I'm just sitting at home and they started to fade within a week and spots that I stupidly picked at healed much better and didn't scar

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.