Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I was practising in my car (Suzuki Swift 2000), and as I was driving in 3rd and approaching a corner I notice that the engine stopped responding to the gas, and as I came to a stop - despite having the clutch depressed it stalled. Now the engine whizzes round when you start it but never catches ignition. Anybody have any idea what that could be?

ReputationRep:
    Could be a lot of things.

Most obvious would be a lack of fuel or a breakdown of the ignition system.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it stopped responding to gas then the revs will be getting lower and lower even with the clutch pressed in the revs will still drop low and it will stall anyway.

I have no idea what it is, could be a number of things, just explaining why it stalled.

ReputationRep:
    Spark plugs/HT leads would be my first port of call.

ReputationRep:
    Why are we calling it gas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofwands)
    Americans have invaded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    Spark plugs/HT leads would be my first port of call.
    Wouldn't be mine.
    Even if one plug / lead goes down the car will still run on three cylinders.
    It'll run like a bag of nails and be down on power but it wont cut out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofwands)

be casue a lot of ADIs do ... and the OPs is a learner .?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Wouldn't be mine.
    Even if one plug / lead goes down the car will still run on three cylinders.
    It'll run like a bag of nails and be down on power but it wont cut out.

i presume given it;s 2000 car it'll have a crank sensor ...

sounds rather like what my little brother's car did when it's crank sensor whent a bit crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    i presume given it;s 2000 car it'll have a crank sensor ...

sounds rather like what my little brother's car did when it's crank sensor whent a bit crazy
    Yes, agreed, anything like that would do it. We're looking for either a loose wire on the LT circuit or component failure that affects the engine as a whole rather than something specific to one cylinder. - Fuel pump, blocked fuel filter, coil pack, cambelt failure - think dizzy mounted on the end of the cam?
    All sorts of stuff.

For the uninitiated, just to exapand on Zippy's suggestion, on the end of the crankshaft will be a little disk which looks like a cog with one tooth missing. Or alternatively, it can be cast into the crank pulley rather than a seperate component.
    As the crank spins over, the crank sensor notes when that missing tooth comes round. This then tells the ECU that piston number one is at top dead centre (TDC). The ecu then knows it should fire the coil pack for cylinder one and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Hhhm not gonna lie, I didn't really follow the last paragraph, but before I started driving, I saw that a little blue chip/fuse (labelled 15/IS if that helps) thing had fallen out onto the floor where the pedals are. Not thinking much of it I just slipped it back into its slot (seemed to be near 50 similar components directly above the pedals there). It hadn't looked like it had blown or anything so that's why I put it back, could that have anything to do with what happened? Appreciate the ideas - thanks.

ReputationRep:
    assuming you put the correct fuse in the correct slot - no it probably hasn't done anything , it is as JC has suggested a general fault somewhere in the ignition and/or fuel supply side of the engine...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.