Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading this scenario the other day but did not know how to approach it.

Mary would like Bob to go see a psychologist. (Assume the psychologist owns his own business and is not affiliated in any way with a school or company).

(a) If Mary is a mother and Bob is the child, then is the psychologist allowed to tell Mary any of the information that is said in the session and/or any inferences/conclusions that the psychologist makes? Would being of age change the circumstances?

(b) If Mary is an employer and Bob is the employee, then is the psychologist allowed to tell Mary any of the information that is said in the session and/or any inferences/conclusions that the psychologist makes?

(c) If the psychologist in (a) was associated with a school and Mary asked Bob to see said psychologist (the school psychologist) would this change the circumstances?

(d) If the psychologist in (b) was associated with the company and Mary asked Bob to see said psychologist (the company psychologist) would this change the circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    no to all

ReputationRep:
    Psychologists can inform a guardian (if a child) or the police if they believe what they have been told could lead to the patient harming themselves or others.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know from a legal perspective but I'm guessing the following:

a) the psychologist could not tell Mary any of the specific information divulged by Bob, but could perhaps report on inferences and conclusions, for example if they are assessing Bob for a mental illness then they could tell Mary that they suspect x y z.

b) no information, inferences or conclusions can be divulged here.

c) the school may have the conclusions etc passed on to them from the psychologist.

d) this would not change any circumstances.

That would be my take on the matter but I don't know if it's accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever Bob says to the psychologist remains confidential, despite how he gets to the psychologist, [route a, b, c or d]

This only changes if Bob tells the psychologist something which reveals that he is at danger of harm or someone else is at risk of harm. Then the psychologist will tell whoever s/he needs to tell.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.