Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to apply for a scholarship from the Inns and wondered how they check your finances? I know you have to fill out forms and make statements about it but do they ask for proof/letters from banks etc? Just wondering how the check it?

The reason I ask is that I'm holding some money in accounts for my mum following her divorce settlement and although it looks like i have a healthy bank balance it's not mine to spend unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    The two Inns I've been to see so far (Gray's Inn and Inner Temple) both told me that they award scholarships based on merit, but may then take means into account when deciding how much to give. They have a pot of money to hand out rather than a set number of scholarships with fixed values.

Not sure about the bank statement thing, but unless you're a mature student, they may consider your parents' means as well as your own, so it wouldn't necessarily matter whether the money's yours or your mum's.

My parents can afford to fund my legal training if I don't get a scholarship, but I'd rather they didn't have to. However, the main reason I want a scholarship is to confirm that I'm a decent candidate for the Bar and to boost my application when OLPAS time comes. The size of the award isn't so important, and I'd hate someone less fortunate to miss out because of me. I plan to be honest about my situation and hope that the selection committee is impressed by my integrity!

If you haven't already done so, it's worth looking at each Inn's website and arranging visits (if you can get to London) or phoning them to discuss this (if you can't).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected for a (part time) GDL scholarship from Grays. I have a full time job. My mentor at Grays suggested that having a salary would be a strong reason for them not to interview, on the basis you can support yourself.

The blurb on their site does also say:

"These awards are intended for those deserving candidates who are in need of financial support during their CPE year"

Whilst I could do without the £300/month fees, against my salary I can see how there are more deserving candidates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.