Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys and girls,

I was wondering whether the famous one page CV really is such a necessity or whether 2 pages are totally acceptable as well. I am talking about both, in terms of IB but especially for consulting. I could cram all the relevant information on one page, using columns/ text boxes etc but it really does not look that neat.

What do you guys think? How many pages does your CV have? And have you got any innovative ideas of how to structure a CV?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, most IB associates make their CVs in one page only. Hence I think CV for most graduates should be one page only.

Of course there is exception. If you successfully establish your own company in the undergraduate first year and launch the IPO in the second year, your CV can be two pages.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally 1 page. There are numerous formats that allow you to cram in lots onto one page while keeping it neat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barzini)
    Ideally 1 page. There are numerous formats that allow you to cram in lots onto one page while keeping it neat.
    Cheers! I don't want to sound like an idiot who is completely dependent on other people's advice but I've tried several different one page formats that fail to look neat. Have you got any sample CVs or ideas on how to achieve this? Don't you think a one-page CV with two columns is worse than a two page CV with a clearly structured outline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian_gray)
    Cheers! I don't want to sound like an idiot who is completely dependent on other people's advice but I've tried several different one page formats that fail to look neat. Have you got any sample CVs or ideas on how to achieve this? Don't you think a one-page CV with two columns is worse than a two page CV with a clearly structured outline?
    I shudder at the thought of a two column CV, its not supposed to be a newspaper article...

but a good CV template can be found at mergersandinquisitions.com if I remember correctly, you might have to dig a little for it.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It is perfectly feasible to get all the information you need into a simple one page 12pt TNR font, 2cm margin CV. Do not use tables, columns, lines or text boxes in a CV, just write in plain text.

ReputationRep:
    one page, or they'll get bored

be concise

ReputationRep:
    I suppose only if you've had lots of jobs/experience then its okay for 2 pages, but yeah you can find some way of fitting it all on one page if this isn't the case.

Play around with the margins & paragraph options.

ReputationRep:
    cheers, I've managed to do it finally.
    Another question; here in Germany it's quite common to include a photo. Why isn't this done on UK CVs? Is there a particular reason? I have space and I'm quite good looking so it can't harm, right?

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I interviewed for JPM II back in summer of 07, they had only the first page of my CV with them. All my extra-curriculars had been cut off because it was on half of the 2nd page. Though I got onto the programme, I learned my mistake, never to repeat again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian_gray)
    cheers, I've managed to do it finally.
    Another question; here in Germany it's quite common to include a photo. Why isn't this done on UK CVs? Is there a particular reason? I have space and I'm quite good looking so it can't harm, right?
    How did you go from having a 2 page CV to having enough space for a photo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    How did you go from having a 2 page CV to having enough space for a photo?
    formatting. there is a little space now right under my name in the top right corner.

No photos. Ever. One page only.

ReputationRep:
    im going to reenact this picture and put it on my CV

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sTGIC-qIMm...simps_cake.JPG

edit: the pic with the cake, not the whole scene there smarty pantses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    No photos. Ever. One page only.
    Cheers. Is there a certain reason as to why not? Seems to be an anglo-american approach to CVs and I'm curious to find out why it's different on the continent.

ReputationRep:
    On the CV note, better to put something relevant or quirky at internship app level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierce&Pierce)
    On the CV note, better to put something relevant or quirky at internship app level?
    something which 'stands out'.

Keep the section on your education (degree, A-Levels, GCSE) short. This stuff is covered in the app form anyway.

Better to expand alot on springweeks, portfolios (if you have them), finance-related socs, articles you've written etc. - that way you're showing you've got an interest.

leave the quirky stuff in interests (within reason) - as a general rule i'ts got to be something special under 'other/unique achievements) if you've got that section - I'm talking grade 8 musical performance or playing a competitive sport at county/national level as opposed to a kick-about in the park.

ReputationRep:
    If you have filled in an on-line application form and the bank also wants you to upload a 1 page cv, do you think it is necesary to include items like your address, education etc, considering that you will have already filled these details in on the application form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduck)
    If you have filled in an on-line application form and the bank also wants you to upload a 1 page cv, do you think it is necesary to include items like your address, education etc, considering that you will have already filled these details in on the application form?
    It wouldn't be a competent CV without that information, would it?

Look at it another way. Ask yourself the question, since I've included my name, address and educational details on the CV do I need to completely fill in the application form as well? The answer is obvious: provide both - exactly what has been asked for.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.