Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just applying now. I need to know, are all the necessary textbooks given online as pdf's (being in Asia until June)? Is the 'big red' A215 book a pdf?

Is there any way to get them before the course starts, as pdf, if I'll pay?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    One way (assuming they haven't changed the material) would be to befriend a person doing the course(s) at the moment and ask them to download the electronic copies from their course website and send them to you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, hello again.

Yes, that crossed my mind. But I'd have to approach strangers and even though I'm asking for something which the OU will soon give me, I'd still be asking them to do something technically wrong.

Of course, there's always the chance I'd get a PM......................

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Junko

I agree with sunburnedcactus: post on the relevant OUSA forums on FirstClass and I'm sure someone will be happy to send the PDFs to your mailbox.

I haven't done A215 or DSE, but in my experience PDFs of the textbooks are always provided via the course website. But the course website won't open until a few days before the course start date, so I guess this isn't much help to you if you need them in advance.

It's probably worth ringing your regional centre and asking if they can provide the PDFs in advance: maybe they'll say yes if you have a good reason for needing them? Otherwise, you could buy second hand course books from Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. OUSA, didn't think of that. But will the OU mind. Technically I think we're supposed to get them the same time.

I will ask the OU direct though, once my financial application goes through. My good reason is I'm doing 120 points and I have from now until the start pretty much free to make a headstart, as there will be a lot of reading once I get going.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the DSE212 units are available on OpenLearn (plus one A215 unit).

You're brave tackling 120 points in one year! Good plan to use this time to get ahead

ReputationRep:
    I know, but this is the third year, and I want to change my plan from an open degree to a named one with psychology and an English diploma; yes, a bit late in the day to decide that! However, I'm going for it, and if the burden is too much I will (dejectedly) scale back and go for sociology degree, of which dse212 is the first (I've done dd121 and 122), after that there are so many options in a sociology degree it's almost like an open one.

But never say never (or die), I'm going for named psychology and that's the end of it!

Without naming anyone... I replied to a received PM recently

ReputationRep:
    For the benefit of all: this is the email I just sent to the unnamed person who just... EMAILED ME EVERY SINGLE DSE212 COURSEBOOK:

Oh WOW, I wish you were here so I could bearhug you!!!!!!!!

Good karma and positive energy to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That makes such a difference, truely. Now I've got six week which would have been twiddling thumbs/worrying to make a real head-start on it and have a fair chance of a reasonable grade!

Actually, funnily enough, I applied for everything online today, and I have to post off the paperwork tomorrow, so it's all taking off now.

I know it was only a couple of clicks and an email for you... but thank you deeply for taking the time to make a difference for a stranger. Truely appreciated, my faith in human nature 110% restored and rejouvenated

J.

This is an amazing forum!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anybody by any chance has A215 available somewhere? PDF or something?

I'm starting the course but had to leave UK on emergency and afraid I might get behind.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powka)
    Hi,

Does anybody by any chance has A215 available somewhere? PDF or something?

I'm starting the course but had to leave UK on emergency and afraid I might get behind.

Thank you!
    As soon as you have access to the module website you'll be able to access the pdf of the BRB on there (I think it's under 'study resources') so you should be fine!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.