Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stuff to carry round on 3rd Year Hospital Placement? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm starting 3rd year in September and was just wondering about what the standard kit I'd be carrying around would be. I need to take histories so I'm guessing I'll need a notepad, but not sure if there's anything else.

Thanks

Well with a notepad, I assume you'll need pens. A nice supply of black pens may come in handy?

ReputationRep:
    notepad, pen, cheese and onion/baby kumar and clark, stethoscope, student badge/lanyard, phone (to check the time/texts on a long, boring ward round), snacks (to sneakily sustain yourself on a long boring ward round or surgery)

some places still want you to wear white coat...

ReputationRep:
    Water! Absolute must if you want to maintain kidney function.

Pockets - black pen, small notepad (but I always found history paper from the wards easier to carry round but you have to be careful not to loose it), steth, tourniquet maybe, ID. That's about it really. Remember that what you carry has to fit in your pockets (including scrub pockets if you're doing surgery).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    notepad, pen, cheese and onion/baby kumar and clark, stethoscope, student badge/lanyard, phone (to check the time/texts on a long, boring ward round), snacks (to sneakily sustain yourself on a long boring ward round or surgery)

some places still want you to wear white coat...
    :shock: they have those?
    the normal one is huge, I doubt a baby one could be a lot smaller

ReputationRep:
    The people I saw on work experience all seemed to have "The Oxford Handbook..." :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Water! Absolute must if you want to maintain kidney function.

Pockets - black pen, small notepad (but I always found history paper from the wards easier to carry round but you have to be careful not to loose it), steth, tourniquet maybe, ID. That's about it really. Remember that what you carry has to fit in your pockets (including scrub pockets if you're doing surgery).

So what size notepad you recommend? A6?

Thanks for the replies guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilew)
    So what size notepad you recommend? A6?
    I would say that A6 is the only size that will fit comfortably in your back pocket.

The alternative is to carry an A4 pad round with you but I don't think that's really necessary. I don't think there are that many notes to take while you're on the wards - nothing more than where to go and when to be there. Most of your punter clerkings will go in the notes or in the bin (so doing them on your own paper is a waste of time and effort).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :shock: they have those?
    the normal one is huge, I doubt a baby one could be a lot smaller
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Essen...9818701&sr=8-1

I'd strongly suggest that the cheesy bunion is much more useful on the wards, the baby kumar is better at home (in which case the internet or the full version are better).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    The people I saw on work experience all seemed to have "The Oxford Handbook..." :p:
    for those who don't know: cheese and onion is aka the oxford handbook of clinical medicine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Handb...ref=pd_sim_b_5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Pockets
    pockets for boys (tho some guys have man bags :rolleyes: )

handbag for girls (some consultants get a bit pissed off about handbags though, but what can they do...it's necessary! white coats did have their uses, the pockets could fit everything!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Essen...9818701&sr=8-1

I'd strongly suggest that the cheesy bunion is much more useful on the wards, the baby kumar is better at home (in which case the internet or the full version are better).
    cheesy bunion ? sounds vom worthy

I wonder, do you find yourself flicking through the book while standing over a patient :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder, do you find yourself flicking through the book while standing over a patient :rofl:
    Once or twice... :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    for those who don't know: cheese and onion is aka the oxford handbook of clinical medicine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Handb...ref=pd_sim_b_5
    Cheese and onion :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Once or twice... :o:
    :shock:
    whatever hospital your at i never want to be treated there even for a cold

ReputationRep:
    You are right. It will be so much better to go to hospital where they guess and hope for the best rather than look things up when they are unsure about something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    You are right. It will be so much better to go to hospital where they guess and hope for the best rather than look things up when they are unsure about something.
    :rolleyes: obviously , this is but friendly banter

ReputationRep:
    As above, if you'd prefer me to guess (or not to check my working as the case may be) I can recommend several of my colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, I strongly recommend NOT reading through OHCM on the ward round so you can prove your consultant/reg/SHO/F1 wrong on some teeny tiny point. It will not win you ANY friends. And yes, people do do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    On the other hand, I strongly recommend NOT reading through OHCM on the ward round so you can prove your consultant/reg/SHO/F1 wrong on some teeny tiny point. It will not win you ANY friends. And yes, people do do this.
    QFT!!

And in a similar vein, do NOT use your OHCM covertly during a seminar or a case discussion just to score brownie points. You'll look like a nob and people will hate you for being a ****.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.