The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

visesh
QFT!!

And in a similar vein, do NOT use your OHCM covertly during a seminar or a case discussion just to score brownie points. You'll look like a nob and people will hate you for being a ****.

:yep:

I know those people...
What about if you know the particular detail already without having to look in the C&O, is that still lame?
Reply 22
Philosoraptor
What about if you know the particular detail already without having to look in the C&O, is that still lame?

Not really, but try not to rub it in too much.
Reply 23
Philosoraptor

It depends how important the detail is. If they're likely to make some horribly bad decision then it's probably more important to tell them (though even less likely to make you popular!) than if you're debating whether prevalence of von Lipwig-Squiggleworth disease is 1% or 2%.

That said, I am a bit OCD and hate hearing people say things I know are wrong, but my way around is usually to go "Oh, I'd heard that..." or something, rather than just outright saying they're wrong.
Helenia
von Lipwig-Squiggleworth disease

I googled this and then realised at the same time that you just made it up as an example.

:facepalm2:
Reply 25
:facepalm:
Obviously I'm just speculating, because at this point I have had no experience of what clinical teaching is like!
My top tips would be carry a list of patients that clinicians have told you are interesting, and also plenty of food and drink in your bag, saves you so much money bringing your own stuff from home, and also time that would be spent walking to the cafe and queueing....
Useful thread :yep:

Is it true about free lunches and freebies in general? :teeth: If so, how often do they come about!
digitalis

Is it true about free lunches and freebies in general? :teeth: If so, how often do they come about!

I've only been seen one and we weren't invited.:s-smilie:
ThisLittlePiggy
I've only been seen one and we weren't invited.:s-smilie:

I managed to scavenge some left over sandwiches on my SSM :fyi:.
digitalis
I managed to scavenge some left over sandwiches on my SSM :fyi:.

Effort :top:

I bet they where tuna,cheese,or egg sandwiches. They seem to get left behind more than most and for obvious reasons. If it was chicken then :coma:
ThisLittlePiggy
Effort :top:

I bet they where tuna,cheese,or egg sandwiches. They seem to get left behind more than most and for obvious reasons. If it was chicken then :coma:

:sadnod:

You are correct...
I asked for help with this , but noone told me anything useful. :frown:
digitalis

The MDU and MPS often give free lunches and freebies for students, at least at our uni. Elsewhere drug companies do the same for doctors, but we're often told to wait until the doctors have had their fill before we descend on the food :mad:
Reply 35
Philosoraptor
I asked for help with this , but noone told me anything useful. :frown:

Meh, you really don't need much. Pen, stethoscope, notepad/bits of scrap paper (NB DO NOT lose these if they have confidential info on) - that's about it for ward work itself. For practical purposes you'll also need a bottle of water and either some food or money to buy lunch, which you'll have to carry if there's nowhere secure to leave it, but you really don't need loads of fancy kit for the wards.
Helenia
Meh, you really don't need much. Pen, stethoscope, notepad/bits of scrap paper (NB DO NOT lose these if they have confidential info on) - that's about it for ward work itself. For practical purposes you'll also need a bottle of water and either some food or money to buy lunch, which you'll have to carry if there's nowhere secure to leave it, but you really don't need loads of fancy kit for the wards.

That's helpful thanks!
And don't worry, for certain reasons I'm already very aware of being careful with confidential information. :wink:
Reply 37
Captain Crash
but we're often told to wait until the doctors have had their fill before we descend on the food :mad:
There's a hierarchy and it's there for a reason. The consultants get first dibs, they are after all the reason the reps are there, then the regs, then the SHOs, then the housemen and then the students.
Renal
There's a hierarchy and it's there for a reason. The consultants get first dibs, they are after all the reason the reps are there, then the regs, then the SHOs, then the housemen and then the students.

:rolleyes:

I'm well aware of that - just expressing my frustration at been made to wait by someone (usually a secretary) when there is obviously plenty of food and the consultants are waving us in.
Reply 39
Captain Crash
:rolleyes:

I'm well aware of that - just expressing my frustration at been made to wait by someone (usually a secretary) when there is obviously plenty of food and the consultants are waving us in.

Some of the times that happens (certain Addies clinics) it's VERY annoying. Other times it's more understandable and less irritating.

Then of course there's GP-land, where our drug rep lunches were awesome because all the GPs were on home visits! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending