Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm I remember GP drug lunches - Waitrose food!

After just two days of hospital stuff, my feet are killing me. It's not the walking, simply the standing for hours on end. Please tell me there are comfy/smart shoes out there?!? Even the theatre clogs feel like concrete!

ReputationRep:
    I have to wear scrubs around the hospital as a student does anyone know if its shoes or trainers??
    I know the hospital i work at now are quite erm awkward and insist on a certain type of shoes for auxillary nursing.
    Either way gives me and excuse for shoe shopping.
    Oh and radley handbag shopping cause i have to have something to carry my stuff around in obviously. I think im too excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Mmmmm I remember GP drug lunches - Waitrose food!

After just two days of hospital stuff, my feet are killing me. It's not the walking, simply the standing for hours on end. Please tell me there are comfy/smart shoes out there?!? Even the theatre clogs feel like concrete!
    Good question about the shoes. I just have a pair of black Oxfords, I hope they are OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    I have to wear scrubs around the hospital as a student does anyone know if its shoes or trainers??
    Overhere anything tends to go with scrubs but we only wear them in theatres/ICU. They tend to have better things to worry about in those areas than what sort of shoes med students wear (as long as you are not wearing your dirty street shoes obviously).

I have a pair of Toffeln clogs and they are very comfy (+ smart enough to wear on the wards with normal clothes) and crocks for theatres as they can be washed easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    Overhere anything tends to go with scrubs but we only wear them in theatres/ICU. They tend to have better things to worry about in those areas than what sort of shoes med students wear (as long as you are not wearing your dirty street shoes obviously).

I have a pair of Toffeln clogs and they are very comfy (+ smart enough to wear on the wards with normal clothes) and crocks for theatres as they can be washed easily.
    Crocs are being outlawed around the country apparently. A couple of reasons, one of which is that they have holes in which put you at risk of needlesticks and things. Although apparently even crocs with no holes are being banned too.

ReputationRep:
    You can now get the oxford handbook as an iPhone app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Crocs are being outlawed around the country apparently. A couple of reasons, one of which is that they have holes in which put you at risk of needlesticks and things. Although apparently even crocs with no holes are being banned too.
    They have been going on about health and safety issues regarding crocs since the craze for them first started. I know that some trusts did ban them but I usualy don't have problems either at work or on placements.

Last time somone said something I have informed them that health and safety law actualy stipulates that trusts need to provide you with appropriate theatre shoes so if they don't like my crosc I expect them to provide me with clogs they see fit. I got a brand new pair of Toffelns out of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    You can now get the oxford handbook as an iPhone app
    It's £10 more than the actual book.

Have you got it? I plan to find someone that has it and have a nosey before I consider buying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    It's £10 more than the actual book.

Have you got it? I plan to find someone that has it and have a nosey before I consider buying it.
    You can just get it (free) as a PDF and download it onto your phone. No need for apps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :shock: they have those?
    the normal one is huge, I doubt a baby one could be a lot smaller
    i sneakily managed to get a pocket (quite cute really) version of cheese and onion from one of the current first years who got it free when signing up to the MDU. The font is in size 8 which is just annoying. Still im sure it will come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    I got some cunningly smart yet comfy shoes. Hope they do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    im now very scared bout 3rd year.
    Im beginning to feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    No footwear is comfortable enough if you have to stand up for 7+ hours scrubbed in.

My feet KILL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    No footwear is comfortable enough if you have to stand up for 7+ hours scrubbed in.

My feet KILL.
    It's usually my calves that go first.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my calves hurt and I was convinced I was developing varicose veins (whilst watching varicose vein surgery...). I've felt faint a couple of times and had to leave. It gets pretty hot and my blood pressure is naturally low and I probably wasn't really eating and drinking enough, and that's coupled with being utterly bored or stressed.

Anyway people have already said stuff to carry around, I wear an across body small bag with notepad, OHCM, phone, water. We had A4 log books that we had to get signed when we did examinations which weren't really foldable and very inconvenient and as I always had to carry that around anyway I also had a clipboard and paper attached to it which I would carry around. Obviously sounds pretty lame but if I didnt have the log book with me, I missed so many opportunities for getting things signed off. Luckily I think they're making the logbook A5 for next years BL 3rd yrs.

I got free lunches maybe twice a week at my first hospital but there were hardly any students there. There were no opportunities at my second hospital. I've heard at some hospitals students are just banned from free food.

Wearing your own shoes for theatre is kinda lame unless there actually aren't any shoes available for you. there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Wearing your own shoes for theatre is kinda lame unless there actually aren't any shoes available for you. there
    If you prefer to be cool and share your clogs with 100s of stangers. Personaly I think it is more lame to stand 6 hours in shoes that are a size to small or even better two different sizes. Unless you come very early in the morning that is the sort of thing you can get from the shared shoes baskets over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    If you prefer to be cool and share your clogs with 100s of stangers. Personaly I think it is more lame to stand 6 hours in shoes that are a size to small or even better two different sizes. Unless you come very early in the morning that is the sort of thing you can get from the shared shoes baskets over here.
    I see. There are always loads of shoes at the theatres I've been in and I guess I have normal size. Even if I didnt, its not like I do much walking in them.
    We're not meant to wear scrubs or theatre shoes around the hospital cause of infection control.

ReputationRep:
    I see. There are always loads of shoes at the theatres I've been in and I guess I have normal size. Even if I didnt, its not like I do much walking in them.
    We're not meant to wear scrubs or theatre shoes around the hospital cause of infection control.
    There are loads of shoes over here as well. But they belong to people and have names on them so we are not supposed to use them. Unless you want to risk it and have an angry reg track you down as you are standing there in his/her shoes. I guess it depends how much time you spend in theatres. I have just finished 12 weeks placement and I can't imagine trying to find myself a pair of shoes every single morning. So much more convinient to have my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    There are loads of shoes over here as well. But they belong to people and have names on them so we are not supposed to use them. Unless you want to risk it and have an angry reg track you down as you are standing there in his/her shoes. I guess it depends how much time you spend in theatres. I have just finished 12 weeks placement and I can't imagine trying to find myself a pair of shoes every single morning. So much more convinient to have my own.
    Maybe being a girl is good then cause the reg is less likely to keep their shoes in the female changing rooms hmm.. we've always been told to wear anyones, name or no name, though I would always try to wear some with no name.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe being a girl is good then cause the reg is less likely to keep their shoes in the female changing rooms hmm.. we've always been told to wear anyones, name or no name, though I would always try to wear some with no name.
    You are a big sexist there. There are female surgical reges around. Not to mention anaesthetics ones. Some theatre nurses are very possesive about their shoes as well (as I have discovered myself and promptly bought my own pair after that incident).

In the end of the day I would recomend to anyone to check out the theatre changing rooms first. If there is plantifull supply of shoes around and you don't mind shearing with unpredictable strangers than there is no need to get your own. If shoes are in short supply and you plan on visiting theatres on regular basis than you may like your own. It's not like their cost a fortune.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.