Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At my DGH F1 surgical firm - i just went to reception and asked for a pair, and got a brand new pair gratis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    At my DGH F1 surgical firm - i just went to reception and asked for a pair, and got a brand new pair gratis
    If you are an employee they are obliged to provide you with all the required protective equipment (that includes theatre clogs). I got myself a free pair when I was banking in theatres. If you are a student though they don't tend to get you stuff for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Maybe being a girl is good then cause the reg is less likely to keep their shoes in the female changing rooms hmm.. we've always been told to wear anyones, name or no name, though I would always try to wear some with no name.
    Haha a whole debate about shoes! :O

(Original post by fairy spangles)
    im now very scared bout 3rd year.
    Im beginning to feel sick.
    Why are people scared? I'm relishing the opportunity! I've had enough preclin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Why are people scared? I'm relishing the opportunity! I've had enough preclin!
    Well my first week on the wards was horrible. I was kinda humiliated a lot and essentially told I was stupid by the consultant a lot. He expected me to know a lot more anatomy than I did and all sorts of things like how oxygen machines work... things that probably weren't that unreasonable but the way he asked and reacted when I didn't know was never very nice.
    Fortunately he went on holiday for the next 3 weeks, in which time I learnt a lot and he was kinda amiable when he came back.

Also when I started my first surgical firm the consultant complained to all the patients and nurses about how little we knew in clinics and mostly ignored us on the wards for the first few weeks. The consultant blamed the reg for us not knowing stuff and she was really horrible for a while too.

It always improved and both of those consultants really liked me by the end of the firms. Whereas by comparison the next two consultants I had were always nice but never really had high expectations of me and probably didn't like or know me much by the end of their firms.

I do think it can be quite scary tbh. I always found/find it slightly nerve racking at the start of taking each history/examination on the wards but also just being handed files in clinics and having to call patients to a separate room. You never know how it will go and I've had patients make inappropriate comments, be rude or they've had terrible english which is always interesting. But maybe thats just cause I'm a bit shy, idk, it always goes very well though and in a way I think I can talk to patients better than normal people!

ReputationRep:
    Well my first week on the wards was horrible. I was kinda humiliated a lot and essentially told I was stupid by the consultant a lot. He expected me to know a lot more anatomy than I did and all sorts of things like how oxygen machines work... things that probably weren't that unreasonable but the way he asked and reacted when I didn't know was never very nice.
    Fortunately he went on holiday for the next 3 weeks, in which time I learnt a lot and he was kinda amiable when he came back.

Also when I started my first surgical firm the consultant complained to all the patients and nurses about how little we knew in clinics and mostly ignored us on the wards for the first few weeks. The consultant blamed the reg for us not knowing stuff and she was really horrible for a while too.

It always improved and both of those consultants really liked me by the end of the firms. Whereas by comparison the next two consultants I had were always nice but never really had high expectations of me and probably didn't like or know me much by the end of their firms.

I do think it can be quite scary tbh. I always found/find it slightly nerve racking at the start of taking each history/examination on the wards but also just being handed files in clinics and having to call patients to a separate room. You never know how it will go and I've had patients make inappropriate comments, be rude or they've had terrible english which is always interesting. But maybe thats just cause I'm a bit shy, idk, it always goes very well though and in a way I think I can talk to patients better than normal people!
    Ah fair play - shy would not be a word I'd describe myself with.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they have size 11 theatre shoes.

ReputationRep:
    You never know how it will go and I've had patients make inappropriate comments, be rude or they've had terrible english which is always interesting.
    I would have thought Mx Hockey would have prepared you for that!

ReputationRep:
    I have my own because I spend around 5 hours in theatre a week on average (>20 hours this week...!), and it's tough to find unmarked size 12s that aren't wooden or wellies... Besides, I got mine for free, so why the hell not? :P I hate having shoes that either don't fit, or are of different heights.

It's even more embarassing if you wear someone elses (read: the anaesthetist's) clogs when you're at another hospital and feel like you're pissing everyone off by occupying a theatre + staff for almost a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I would have thought Mx Hockey would have prepared you for that!
    Oh yes I'm used to the abuse! I take it as a sign of caring and missed it when I got nice consultants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    No footwear is comfortable enough if you have to stand up for 7+ hours scrubbed in.

My feet KILL.
    Go for the wellies :yep:

I realised they were comfier halfway through last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    i sneakily managed to get a pocket (quite cute really) version of cheese and onion from one of the current first years who got it free when signing up to the MDU. The font is in size 8 which is just annoying. Still im sure it will come in handy.

I was wondering if I should get a pocket version too? Probably easier to carry around. Is it just smaller or is it a condensed version? What size is the normal cheese and onion?

ReputationRep:
    It's just physically smaller. The content is identical- i.e. the index from one can be used as the index for the other.

ReputationRep:
    From the conditions of ones I've seen in the library, it seems like the mini OHCM would fall apart really easily - a lot of them are pretty shoddy, much more so than the full size one.

ReputationRep:
    Were they paperback or tutleback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Were they paperback or tutleback?
    It's the same back as the full size one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etana_qt)
    I was wondering if I should get a pocket version too? Probably easier to carry around. Is it just smaller or is it a condensed version? What size is the normal cheese and onion?
    Its just smaller size 8 font i think and it literally fits into a shirt pocket. It has exactly the same info as the normal sized one.
    http://www.qubscrubs.co.uk/wp-conten...01/winners.jpg

that pic will give you an idea of the normal sized one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, think I'll get the normal sized one then. I don't want it to fall apart, and the normal size looks quite portable.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Ah fair play - shy would not be a word I'd describe myself with.
    This is nothing to do with this thread particularly. But how the blazes did you end up with a post count of -29.3 and how can I get one??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.