Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    ist just that someone at school said to me that you should write as if the person reading it has no knowledge of medicine whatsoever, in which case they wouldn't know what an ERCP was. Or are they wrong
    There is that, but on this occasion you put ERCP into google and there's absolutely no confusion over what it actually is so if you are over the character count you can probably get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    LOL fair dues, the people reading you PS will likely be very familiar with medicine, but google says yes.

I forgot how far into the PS cycle we are, last year i was on my 8th draft by now.
    4th draft atm :yep:

(Original post by Hygeia)
    There is that, but on this occasion you put ERCP into google and there's absolutely no confusion over what it actually is so if you are over the character count you can probably get away with it.
    thank you, ERCP it is

ReputationRep:
    Do you write medical conditions with capital letters? e.g. arthritis. No, we don't, right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    4th draft atm :yep:

Submitted to the PS helpers yet? or the most knowledgeable person at school in medicine applications?

(as for me if i include last years 10 drafts before final, im on my 13th draft now)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Do you write medical conditions with capital letters? e.g. arthritis. No, we don't, right?
    It looks like you got the answer. yea no need for capita,l unless its someones name in the condition.

ReputationRep:
    Submitted to the PS helpers yet? or the most knowledgeable person at school in medicine applications?

(as for me if i include last years 10 drafts before final, im on my 13th draft now)
    woah you must have a real killer personal statement.

I have submitted 1 draft to the TSR helpers who were really useful but no-one from school yet :rolleyes: (im a bit scared of what they will say :p:)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    woah you must have a real killer personal statement.

I have submitted 1 draft to the TSR helpers who were really useful but no-one from school yet :rolleyes: (im a bit scared of what they will say :p:)
    The more knowledgeable people you get to read and review your personal statement and the more drafts you do the better.

You personal statement will have no errors in grammar or wording at all, and have better content.

My PS was really good last year (at the time, but this year honestly it was half ****), but as iv finished my A Levels and taking a gap year, my PS is supposed to be better then first time appliers, as i should have more experiences and know what is expected already.

ReputationRep:

Teehee! I think I did like 8 drafts last year and like a hundred more this year.. Lol! Still not fully satisfied... I've given it into the medicine applications person at college and will hopefully be seeing my ex-careers advisor tomorrow.. Or and then The student support/liason (sp?) officer.

Hopefully by the end of that, I WILL be satisfied. To be honest, I want them to cut chunks out! I hate how it looks on UCAS.. It's just like mush! I can't fit in gaps in between my paragraphs. Also, I haven't added everything I would have wanted.. =[ I have done Duke of Edinburgh, but don't have space to put it in.. Can I get my referee to add it in to my reference?

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by munim)
    Teehee! I think I did like 8 drafts last year and like a hundred more this year.. Lol! Still not fully satisfied... I've given it into the medicine applications person at college and will hopefully be seeing my ex-careers advisor tomorrow.. Or and then The student support/liason (sp?) officer.

Hopefully by the end of that, I WILL be satisfied. To be honest, I want them to cut chunks out! I hate how it looks on UCAS.. It's just like mush! I can't fit in gaps in between my paragraphs. Also, I haven't added everything I would have wanted.. =[ I have done Duke of Edinburgh, but don't have space to put it in.. Can I get my referee to add it in to my reference?

Thanks!

They should be able to put it in your reference, i cant see why they couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    They should be able to put it in your reference, i cant see why they couldn't.

Yay! Thank you! I have to go in and see a list of teachers today.. =[ I thought I'd left college, but I'm there half the time..

ReputationRep:
    Im taking a gap year, and unfortunately have to redo my PS too. Do i add a paragraph stating what i have done this year and what I have gained from it?

Or can i avoid editing out things like personal achievements, or shortening other paragraphs to accommodate this, and simply just answer the question when they ask me at the interview?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard conflicting information basically!

I got some TSR PS advice, and it was extremely helpful but I got this comment about my 'subjects' paragraph

I always think that if you have to talk about your school subjects, you haven't got enough to say about medicine. Just my opinion, but I feel that as you have work experience shadowing a doctor (which, trust me, not everyone has) you should actually take the opportunity to really talk about what you gained/learnt about medicine.
    Now I fully agree with that, surely yer good GCSE and AS levels show your academic suitability, but one of my teachers has said I need to write MORE about the academic side, so now i'm a bit confused.

What are everyones opinions on the whole writing about academics in your PS?
    Ta!

ReputationRep:
    Your UCAS form is where you include your subjects and grades. Not your PS.

For PS advice post it in the "Ask a PS Helper" subforum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Your UCAS form is where you include your subjects and grades. Not your PS.

For PS advice post it in the "Ask a PS Helper" subforum
    No no! i get that, it was the kinda 'elements of the subjects you find interesting' like 'chemistry had helped me develop valuable analytical skills' kinda thing; apparently I need more, but I don't see why, and neither does the person on "Ask a PS Helper" that viewed my statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applemilk1992)
    No no! i get that, it was the kinda 'elements of the subjects you find interesting' like 'chemistry had helped me develop valuable analytical skills' kinda thing; apparently I need more, but I don't see why, and neither does the person on "Ask a PS Helper" that viewed my statement
    Then you should post this still in Ask a PS Helper.

You can add things about each subject if you want - but I don't see the need. Every sentance should say something about you, or why you want to do Medicine. You don't need to fill the word count, so if you're stuck for something to say, don't try filling it with needless waffle, because the admissions tutors will stop reading.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about Academics such as A levels is like drawing blood from a stone. You'll be lucky to find anything within it that can be benficial to the Personal statement. The space used imo is much better spent reflecting more on your w/e.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am writing up my personal statement and would like to know the term for gallbladder removal... help please ?

ReputationRep:
    Cholecystectomy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    In year 11 I was awarded Best in school Award for Maths and also for the UK maths challenge. Would you mention this on your personal statement or is it; big headed, too long ago or irrelevant?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolBoywonder)
    Hi
    In year 11 I was awarded Best in school Award for Maths and also for the UK maths challenge. Would you mention this on your personal statement or is it; big headed, too long ago or irrelevant?
    Cheers
    No include it. I got two awards for my GCSE's, one for overall performance and another for being top in the school in science. I included both in my PS

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.