Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didnt include any achievements like that on my PS. I focused on talking about what I thought of the subject (outside of lessons stuff) and why I wanted to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolBoywonder)
    Hi
    In year 11 I was awarded Best in school Award for Maths and also for the UK maths challenge. Would you mention this on your personal statement or is it; big headed, too long ago or irrelevant?
    Cheers
    Personally I couldn't work out a way to say it without sounding big-headed, an I knew it was in my reference from my Guidance Teacher anyway so I left it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaah Blaah)
    Personally I couldn't work out a way to say it without sounding big-headed, an I knew it was in my reference from my Guidance Teacher anyway so I left it out.
    GCSE's were not included in our reference as far as we were aware so if we had any we had to include them in our PS. It also looks good getting an award for Top in Science if you are applying to somewhere as science orientated as Cambridge.

Also, are you stalking me over to the medicine forum? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had my achievement in science award in last year but I think I may take it out this year as although it puts my academics in a good light I think that your academics will be mainly judged from your grades and so the space in the personal statement might be able to be used for something else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    GCSE's were not included in our reference as far as we were aware so if we had any we had to include them in our PS. It also looks good getting an award for Top in Science if you are applying to somewhere as science orientated as Cambridge.

Also, are you stalking me over to the medicine forum? :p:
    Yeah I think its worth putting in your PS if its not in a reference, definitely the kind of thing that sells yourself well to a university. I'm just glad I didn't have to try and politely word the fact that I got the best in school for every subject I did at Higher

Not stalking. Just saw it in the recent threads. But now its been combined into a super thread and this does seem stranger...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaah Blaah)
    Yeah I think its worth putting in your PS if its not in a reference, definitely the kind of thing that sells yourself well to a university. I'm just glad I didn't have to try and politely word the fact that I got the best in school for every subject I did at Higher

Not stalking. Just saw it in the recent threads. But now its been combined into a super thread and this does seem stranger...
    Every subject? :eek: That is impressive. Our school has someone who is the best at each subject really, so you only get top in 1 subejct, 2 at the most really. Well thats the case for sciences, for languages someone strong can normally sweep the board with awards.

But yes, definitly worth putting down

ReputationRep:
    I'm working on my PS after tea
    Its too long though at the moment!!
    I don't like cutting things out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    im in the same situation as you, 4700 characters and 61 lines long, its so hard choosing what to cut out :banghead:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)

(Original post by crazy_smurf)
    im in the same situation as you, 4700 characters and 61 lines long, its so hard choosing what to cut out :banghead:

The Pointless ****, and trust me at this stage there is a lot in your PS.

If you want post what you have written about in your ps, ill try and help.

i.e in a list like this
    "playing guitar, playing football, reading scientific articles" ect.

ReputationRep:
    im in the same situation as you, 4700 characters and 61 lines long, its so hard choosing what to cut out
    I am a thousand and something over the limit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    The Pointless ****, and trust me at this stage there is a lot in your PS.

If you want post what you have written about in your ps, ill try and help.

i.e in a list like this
    "playing guitar, playing football, reading scientific articles" ect.
    Loads of work experience paragraphs which i could probably trim down a bit,
    speaking competition thing,
    cricket and football and playing for county,
    a science chemistry award which involves an investigation into painkiller (a really long paragraph lol)

tbh i haven't really written too much about EC's, i've concentrated more on WE and why medicine. The right approach :confused:
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    a science chemistry award which involves an investigation into painkiller (a really long paragraph lol)

tbh i haven't really written too much about EC's, ii've concentrated more on WE and why medicine. The right approach :confused:
    Thanks
    Yea you have taken the right approach.

can parts of the speaking competition and chem award be shortened, removed or moved to the reference?

and try looking at rewording some of your work exp, as most of the time you can merge sentences or reword them so the use less characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Yea you have taken the right approach.

can parts of the speaking competition and chem award be shortened, removed or moved to the reference?

and try looking at rewording some of your work exp, as most of the time you can merge sentences or reword them so the use less characters.
    Thats a really good suggestion thanks for that, wouldn't they prefer if i put it in my ps and see how i reflect and comment upon it :confused:
    Of course id give it to my referee to include if i couldn't fit in but still.....?

ReputationRep:

tbh i haven't really written too much about EC's, i've concentrated more on WE and why medicine. The right approach :confused:
    Thanks
    I would try to get in the EC's because the more well rounded you seem the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    I would try to get in the EC's because the more well rounded you seem the better.
    Fair point, its just i don't really do much else :o: would it be worth including D of E, choir, reading etc.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, its just i don't really do much else :o: would it be worth including D of E, choir, reading etc.
    D of E, music (choir or isntruments) and sport is all good. But be careful about the reading, some people put that they love science and so read new scientist :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    If we us a sentence a ps helper gave on the ps help forum, does ucas detect that as copying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    D of E, music (choir or isntruments) and sport is all good. But be careful about the reading, some people put that they love science and so read new scientist :facepalm2:
    :lol: ok i'll be wary of the reading thing and include the other stuff :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    If we us a sentence a ps helper gave on the ps help forum, does ucas detect that as copying?

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that my PS is too "human" and that there are too many anecdotes. I'm really worried now,my PS is in UCAS and all sent off (to teachers). The teacher told me to add some medical books that I've read (none), and any research that I have conducted. She said I haven't put enough academic stuff in my PS and that my PS is far too colloquial? :sad:

But from reading other personal statements, mine is similar. I'm not applying to Oxbridge...and the Oxbridge medicine PS are much like the one she thinks I should write. She said it's best not to say that you like the rewards of medicine because it's not rewarding all the time - which I am aware of, obviously. I'm very worried...can a PS be too "human" - meaning the "human" side of medicine?. Oh dear! Help!

I am going to ask for my UCAS to be sent back to me, so I can go over my PS. :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.