Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I've been told that my PS is too "human" and that there are too many anecdotes. I'm really worried now,my PS is in UCAS and all sent off (to teachers). The teacher told me to add some medical books that I've read (none), and any research that I have conducted. She said I haven't put enough academic stuff in my PS and that my PS is far too colloquial? :sad:

But from reading other personal statements, mine is similar. I'm not applying to Oxbridge...and the Oxbridge medicine PS are much like the one she thinks I should write. She said it's best not to say that you like the rewards of medicine because it's not rewarding all the time - which I am aware of, obviously. I'm very worried...can a PS be too "human" - meaning the "human" side of medicine?. Oh dear! Help!

I am going to ask for my UCAS to be sent back to me, so I can go over my PS. :sad:
    I would think sounding human is a good thing...?

Tbh, I don't think other unis except oxford will be that bothered about the academic side of it... Its much more about the 'human side' anyway!

My teacher said that medicine should have a capital M....
    Should it???
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I've been told that my PS is too "human" and that there are too many anecdotes. I'm really worried now,my PS is in UCAS and all sent off (to teachers). The teacher told me to add some medical books that I've read (none), and any research that I have conducted. She said I haven't put enough academic stuff in my PS and that my PS is far too colloquial? :sad:

But from reading other personal statements, mine is similar. I'm not applying to Oxbridge...and the Oxbridge medicine PS are much like the one she thinks I should write. She said it's best not to say that you like the rewards of medicine because it's not rewarding all the time - which I am aware of, obviously. I'm very worried...can a PS be too "human" - meaning the "human" side of medicine?. Oh dear! Help!

I am going to ask for my UCAS to be sent back to me, so I can go over my PS. :sad:
    My personal statement sounds very similar to yours, Cape. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, I think anecdotes can sometimes make a personal statement sound quite unique, as opposed to writing generic things such as 'I've read x book and learned y about medicine'. If you've written about liking the rewards of medicine (I also did this in an early draft of my PS), it could be balanced by stating somewhere that you are aware medicine does not always offer a cure, but can sometimes just be about trying your best for patients.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Sarah182 and piece_by_piece Put my mind at rest a little. Yes, I wrote about how tough medicine can be at the end of my PS. The teacher who reviewed my statement actually studied at Cambridge, so maybe she has a Cambridge admissions mindset :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahia)
    hi,
    If we us a sentence a ps helper gave on the ps help forum, does ucas detect that as copying?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:

As far as I was aware for all other medical schools apart from Oxbridge they prefer the PS to be very personal and show the caring nature of the applicant and the reasons why they want to do medicine.

An Oxbridge PS for medicine tends to be more scientific. I know mine did

ReputationRep:
    do you think starting a medicine personal statment with a quote of some sort is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvi92)
    do you think starting a medicine personal statment with a quote of some sort is a good idea?
    One of my friends did, otherwise no-one else in my school did. It seems to be the "in" thing to do in England. There should be no reason not to, so long as you can link it into your PS and show a reason for it being there

ReputationRep:
    Last year my PS covered lots of things that I did. This year I was thinking about taking out the work experience that I had when I was in the medical physics department and just sticking to my 4 day work oberservation in the hospital. I was also thinking about removing the bit about my voluntary work in a charity shop and just sticking to the voluntary work that i have been doing in the care home. Also thinking about removing the stuff that I wrote about Premed and the things that I wrote about my extended project.

The reason why I think I should do this is I have been re-doing sections of my personal statement and when re looking over the guides where it says things such as: 'Don’t just say that there are negative aspects- talk about them, but not in too much detail' and ' don't just say 'i realised the importance of teamwork,' talk about why it's important'. I think I was really just saying things but not really going into any depth about it.

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trektor)
    Last year my PS covered lots of things that I did. This year I was thinking about taking out the work experience that I had when I was in the medical physics department and just sticking to my 4 day work oberservation in the hospital. I was also thinking about removing the bit about my voluntary work in a charity shop and just sticking to the voluntary work that i have been doing in the care home. Also thinking about removing the stuff that I wrote about Premed and the things that I wrote about my extended project.

The reason why I think I should do this is I have been re-doing sections of my personal statement and when re looking over the guides where it says things such as: 'Don’t just say that there are negative aspects- talk about them, but not in too much detail' and ' don't just say 'i realised the importance of teamwork,' talk about why it's important'. I think I was really just saying things but not really going into any depth about it.

what do you think?
    Your ideas sound sensible to me. I ignored the fact that I had been on medical physics trips and never mentioned them at all. I also left out some pointless extra cirrics. The voluntary work in the shop could be mentioned but go in depth on the caring home volunteering. Alternatively just leave the job out.

If you are on a gap year it is normal to include a small part for your plans of your gap year eg volunteering and further work experience

The PS is very short, so I think it was hard to go in depth they way you should. I said that the things i did develop the skills and said they were important, but never had enough room to say why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Your ideas sound sensible to me. I ignored the fact that I had been on medical physics trips and never mentioned them at all. I also left out some pointless extra cirrics. The voluntary work in the shop could be mentioned but go in depth on the caring home volunteering. Alternatively just leave the job out.
    I have went into much more depth on the care home and I think what I am saying now is much improved
    If you are on a gap year it is normal to include a small part for your plans of your gap year eg volunteering and further work experience
    I'm really not sure about this. I have heard this mentioned before but i'm not sure what this will add to my application. I am going to ask my teacher what she thinks about this. I think I'll probably ask the unis I'm thinking of applying to to see if they perhaps require this information.
    The PS is very short, so I think it was hard to go in depth they way you should. I said that the things i did develop the skills and said they were important, but never had enough room to say why.
    I think I managed saying why certain things are important in my work experience section but reading through it I think at one part it is cluncky and needs tweaking.

thanks for the comments though.

ReputationRep:
    I have went into much more depth on the care home and I think what I am saying now is much improved
    Thats good, most unis love their volunteering as it shows a caring nature. I sadly only had collecting money for charity.

I'm really not sure about this. I have heard this mentioned before but i'm not sure what this will add to my application. I am going to ask my teacher what she thinks about this. I think I'll probably ask the unis I'm thinking of applying to to see if they perhaps require this information.
    I agree that it probably wont add much, but they will wander what you are doing with your year out of education. Remember your referee can include things that you have left out of your PS. Just ask them, I had to do that as well.

I think I managed saying why certain things are important in my work experience section but reading through it I think at one part it is cluncky and needs tweaking.
    The wording of the work experience section always needs to be careful so as to make it seem that you have learnt alot form it and are still looking to do medicine.

thanks for the comments though.
    No problems, for any more specific queries feel free to PM me, especially if you do not want people taking ideas from your PS

ReputationRep:
    Im attending a couple of A level masterclasses at Imperial this month, would it be worth writing about it (assuming that their helpful), will universities think i'm applying their and hence look at my application differently??

ReputationRep:
    No problems, for any more specific queries feel free to PM me, especially if you do not want people taking ideas from your PS
    Thanks I may take you up on that offer. I don't think i've really given anything away, Only I have set eyes on this personal statement so far .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    Im attending a couple of A level masterclasses at Imperial this month, would it be worth writing about it (assuming that their helpful), will universities think i'm applying their and hence look at my application differently??
    It isnt worth writing about, it doesnt prove that you would be better suited to a medical degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    It isnt worth writing about, it doesnt prove that you would be better suited to a medical degree
    that makes sense :sadnod: oh well hopefully it will be fun and help my studies, thanks

ReputationRep:
    im now 922 characters over the limit
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    Im under the limit by about 1500

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to start your statement with a personal story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    I was in your position a few days ago. But now I've cut out the waffle and rephrased some sentences here and there. Remember, you usually reach the 47 line limit before you reach the 4,000 character limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    Is it a good idea to start your statement with a personal story
    a few people at my school say their starting with a story, as it is then quite easy to talk about why medicine etc. but make sure make it unique as i suspect a lot of people may start like this so it could get quite boring for the ps-readers at uni.
    I presume you haven't started writing your ps today right? :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2009

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.