Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Personal Statements: Advice and Questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystal Watson)
    Anyone know how I could link art (talent fro sketching) with medicine?

ps: I really wanna mention it but I have to justify it!
    Its shows that you have healthy non-scientific interests, not everything has to show that you are god's gift to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Try telling my PS helper at school....=D i guess so, thanx!

ReputationRep:

Could say you find art a good way to relieve stress?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how long it took for the PS helpers to give there feedback?

ReputationRep:

Leonardo da Vinci - you've probably heard of him - he's quite well known in the art world - made a significant contribution to the understanding of anatomy.

e.g. This

Perhaps you can make something of that !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insightful_Mandarin)
    Leonardo da Vinci - you've probably heard of him - he's quite well known in the art world - made a significant contribution to the understanding of anatomy.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...the_Biceps.jpg

Clever

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm nearly finshed my personal statement but need a little advice. Is it ok to put in there "(outcome pending)". By this i mean that i was on a placement year last year and submitted a paper for publication on my research work plus an award scheme which recognises your skills learnt on placement. Neither of these have been confirmed yet and wont be for another few weeks. Thats why i mentioned them in my PS and then put (outcome pending). Do you guys think it is ok to do this?

*I am applying for Grad entry 2010*

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparko13)
    Hi guys, I'm nearly finshed my personal statement but need a little advice. Is it ok to put in there "(outcome pending)". By this i mean that i was on a placement year last year and submitted a paper for publication on my research work plus an award scheme which recognises your skills learnt on placement. Neither of these have been confirmed yet and wont be for another few weeks. Thats why i mentioned them in my PS and then put (outcome pending). Do you guys think it is ok to do this?

*I am applying for Grad entry 2010*

Thanks guys
    Maybe if you are say that you are waiting confirmation it is a bit more positive.

ReputationRep:

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...the_Biceps.jpg

WOW! :eek3: That's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    WOW! :eek3: That's amazing!
    No probs, except that link seems to fail for me now so I've edited it, to....

This

There's loads more on Leornardo - a Wikipedia section on his entry entitled Anatomy.

Wikimedia Commons has some good stuff too in a Leonardo/Anatomy section, including the Neck, various skulls and studies of an embryo, foetus etc.....

ReputationRep:
    No probs, except that link seems to fail for me now so I've edited it, to....

This

There's loads more on Leornardo - a Wikipedia section on his entry entitled Anatomy.

Wikimedia Commons has some good stuff too in a Leonardo/Anatomy section, including the Neck, various skulls and studies of an embryo, foetus etc.....
    Genius....Thank you so much :woo:

ReputationRep:
    In my personal statement I talk about the surgery I witnessed while doing my hospital work experience (I was 18 years old).

Does this cause any legal implications, for example consent to talk about the surgery (I mean I dont mention the patients name in the ps or any detailed descriptions of what took place, just about how remarkable the experience was etc.) ?

Was I even allowed to be in the theatre?

I dont want to get the doctors/surgeons I shadowed into any trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's fine. Whatever you write, for the love of God, please do not use the phrase "manual dexterity" and associate it with surgery.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, just don't give any names

What type of surgery was it out of interest? Key hole?

ReputationRep:
    So long as you don't bore whoever has to read it to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)

Some people do include them but in most cases they say exactly the same thing as everyone else who writes about them so you'd be better off using the space for other things.
    RE SUBJECTS - I was told by college I need to have a paragraph about my subjects, but that paragraph put me over the limit. Do you think will be lacking without it, or will it add anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    D of E, music (choir or isntruments) and sport is all good. But be careful about the reading, some people put that they love science and so read new scientist :facepalm2:
    I've said I've liked reading all my life and it's lead me things like as “Mad, Bad and Sad: A History of Women and the Mind Doctors” by Lisa Appignanesi.

-- obviously I've worded it differently but didn't want to c/p paste to here

V long title and author name. I'm over on characters but I loved the book, it's almost linked to medicine and would like to get asked about it! Does it add anything?

I've also read Medical Ethics but that's pretty cliche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I've said I've liked reading all my life and it's lead me things like as “Mad, Bad and Sad: A History of Women and the Mind Doctors” by Lisa Appignanesi.

-- obviously I've worded it differently but didn't want to c/p paste to here

V long title and author name. I'm over on characters but I loved the book, it's almost linked to medicine and would like to get asked about it! Does it add anything?

I've also read Medical Ethics but that's pretty cliche.
    It depends on how much you have written, just adding a throw-a-way line like "I have always like reading and have recently great enjoyed xxxxxx" Then that adds a bit to the extra-curricular stuff without going into a case by case exposition of the facts in the book, as it doesnt add much.

PM if you want to know anymore?

ReputationRep:
    I spent my childhood in a developing country, would it be a good idea to compare that and the UK system without actual hospital experience in the developing country?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.