Mine will be done by the end of this week, scary times :pwnd:

ReputationRep:
    End of this week :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    End of this week :eek:
    ditto :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    I have used maybe 7 or 8 f these throughout my statement, and they seem to be appropriate for what I'm writing, also shortens the text too, but should I be using this many.... I'm pleased with my statement as the semi-colons have really helped to shorten stuff down, got rid of loads of "ands" or "as" connective words....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    I have used maybe 7 or 8 f these throughout my statement, and they seem to be appropriate for what I'm writing, also shortens the text too, but should I be using this many.... I'm pleased with my statement as the semi-colons have really helped to shorten stuff down, got rid of loads of "ands" or "as" connective words....
    If they're necessary and used correctly then they're fine.

There is no right or wrong answer -- different writers have different styles. If you're happy with the construction, and those who have read your personal statement do not find it irritating or problematic, then I wouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they are completely necessary, it's just that they help to shorten it down, that's all really, maybe by about 40 characters to get me within the limit. I'm not too sure if the universities would look at that and think "does he know how to write proper english?" as I cannot really say it is normal to put that many into a piece of text like this, or is it????

ReputationRep:
    I used 32 fullstops, 38 commas, 4 semi-colons, 1 colon and a dash in mine. :holmes:

So long as it's used correctly, nobody will care about punctuation.

ReputationRep:
    Ask an english teacher to have a look over it to check you've used them correctly if you're unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I used 32 fullstops, 38 commas, 4 semi-colons, 1 colon and a dash in mine. :holmes:

So long as it's used correctly, nobody will care about punctuation.
    :rofl: Please tell me you didn't sit there and count :p:

ReputationRep:
    38.... A lot of commas??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As long as you dont have really long sentances, then fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    :rofl: Please tell me you didn't sit there and count :p:
    I was curious.

38.... A lot of commas??
    It sounds it, doesn't it? Looking back, I've spotted two improperly used as well. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    In Microsoft Word it says that I have 3999 characters with spaces, yet I paste the statement directly into UCAS and it says I am 10 characters over the limit, which I can't get my head around..... I thought I had a near perfect statement until this :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    In Microsoft Word it says that I have 3999 characters with spaces, yet I paste the statement directly into UCAS and it says I am 10 characters over the limit, which I can't get my head around..... I thought I had a near perfect statement until this :confused: :confused:

you sure there are no extra empty spaces at the end of your statement when you pasted it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Commas - 31
    Full Stops - 24
    Semi-Colons - 3

ReputationRep:
    mine did a similar thing so i modded it to fit UCAS easiest way round it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you've counted characters WITH spaces. And not without..
    and also, UCAS cuts your PS at either 4000 characters, or 47 lines - whichever comes first, so that could be your problem too.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean about extra empty spaces? Thanks for the help.... In word it says 3999 characters with spaces, yet how can there be another 10 be added from nowhere?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.