Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Only 10?

...it could be worse. Take out 10 words without which the sentence could still work. :P

ReputationRep:
    No, I think at the moment if I take some more out which I did anyway to get it to 3999, it could end up sounding a bit on the bare/basic side, I really just want to know why is there a difference shown with word and ucas?????????

ReputationRep:
    Have you got empty lines between paragraphs? I'm not sure if Word counts these, but UCAS does.

ReputationRep:
    Word does not work out characters the same way as the UCAS P.S. machine does. I'm surprised you're not over the line limit at 3999 characters tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    What do you mean about extra empty spaces? Thanks for the help.... In word it says 3999 characters with spaces, yet how can there be another 10 be added from nowhere?
    UCAS must count characters differently. Perhaps some characters count as more than one in its word count.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    See the Personal Statement Questions Thread, this has already been answered - Word and UCAS have different systems. UCAS's counts.

ReputationRep:
    I had 43 lines according to Word yet 51 according to UCAS. This is due to the page to paste you PS in being smaller. I then had to merge paragraphs and remove some words..

ReputationRep:
    UCAS is a ***** basically. When I put mine in earlier I was 450 or so characters over - I sorted that out and THEN it told me how many lines I was over still!
    It doesnt follow the same system as word as many have already said
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    UCAS Counts every time you use the enter key as well as spaces, where word does not.

Basically when you use enter in word it counts it as one character, where as ucas places a space and an enter.

Therefore you will have double the characters for every time you used enter.

ReputationRep:
    This has turned into such a cool thread now.

ReputationRep:
    this happened to me, when it copies it onto ucas check there arent any spaces at the end of each line

ReputationRep:
    How do I kn ow there are spaces at the end of each line, it's obviously not just going to go to the end of the line, or is it? Can I get rid of these? This is really p*ssing me off.....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How do I kn ow there are spaces at the end of each line, it's obviously not just going to go to the end of the line, or is it? Can I get rid of these? This is really p*ssing me off.....
    There is nothing you can do, wherever you have used an enter in word you will have twice as many characters used.

As explained in my above post.

ReputationRep:
    Full stops- 20
    Commas- 18
    Semi-colons- 5

and 1 dash!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    UCAS Counts every time you use the enter key as well as spaces, where word does not.

Basically when you use enter in word it counts it as one character, where as ucas places a space and an enter.

Therefore you will have double the characters for every time you used enter.
    This :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by acas13)
    Full stops- 20
    Commas- 18
    Semi-colons- 5

and 1 dash!
    out of intrest what did you use a dash for?

ReputationRep:
    I now officially hate the UCAS system....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I now officially hate the UCAS system....
    That's Stage 1, you will then begin to hate the medicine application system as a whole, it will drive you insane and to despair, especially seeing as they like to reject in dec - jan i.e SMACK in the middle of your jan exams.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS has done that to virtually everyone in our school
    I just wrote mine on my personal statement area. much easier.

ReputationRep:
    thats nice.

x factor anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.