Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Riiight, took my ps in today as tutor said I had to blah blah.
    She told me I should put in more about my course (IB) coz it's different, and my subjects and also that our school is a state school blah.

I don't want to put any of this in. I'd have to take something out to do it..

Is any of the stuff she suggested really important for it?

Will rep any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    I was talking about practical skills I learnt during work experience. And wrote...

Furthermore the practical skill of taking a patients history highlighted the importance of good communication with the patients- and also with other medical staff.

Or something to that effect. I think that is grammatically correct...
    I don't think you need a dash there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    She told me I should put in more about my course (IB) coz it's different, and my subjects and also that our school is a state school blah.

Will rep any help
    Erm well put down what subjects can be nice, as it shows what you have learned out of them. Like chemistry: the different groups that can be used to interact as drugs, maths for problem solving.

As for the fact that you are doing IB, that will be seen through your UCAS form elsewhere and the fact that your school is a state school would look almost like a desperate plea for an offer in your PS. Get your referee to say it if they think it is important in their reference. This is where things like this are meant to be said.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    She told me I should put in more about my course (IB) coz it's different, and my subjects
    Here is something from the wiki referring to academic paragraphs:

(Original post by Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements)
    Some people choose to include something about the A Levels/IB they're doing, explaining how they're relevant to medicine and why they chose them. Some people discuss an area of medicine they particularly like and explain why. Never say you definitely want to be a certain type of doctor though- you don’t want to come across as naïve or closed minded. These points often go in a paragraph before the work experience is mentioned. A lot of teachers/tutors are hot on telling students to write about every subject they study and why- a big paragraph on your A Levels doesn’t tell us much about you so don’t bother.
    Instead of talking about what you study, we recommend an 'Academic Paragraph' to include an area of medicine that interests you- it will demonstrate that you've read around the subject and will make you look more original.
    also refer to the main article and look at the section entitled optional extras: Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements

and also that our school is a state school blah.
    I don't think this will add anything.

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    x
    (Original post by trektor)
    x
    Thanks :yy: basically I'm going to keep with what I've got then I think

Will rep both of yoou

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else hate their first paragraph?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Anyone else hate their first paragraph?
    Its one of my favorite parts.

Whats wrong with yours!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Its one of my favorite parts.

Whats wrong with yours!?
    Uh. I can explain why a career in medicine is suited to me but not why I want to do it. Actually, I can explain why I want to do medicine when talking to someone but I'm finding it hard to write this down in an acceptable manner.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Uh. I can explain why a career in medicine is suited to me but not why I want to do it. Actually, I can explain why I want to do medicine when talking to someone but I'm finding it hard to write this down in an acceptable manner.

Lol, EVERY one faces this problem.

Although i technically should be helping you, ill give you one piece of advise.

Brainstorm the reasons and choose 3/4 of the best ones and try to make something reasonable from them.

ReputationRep:

Will rep any help
    I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff, that's what your reference should be used for. You can always talk briefly on your subjects and link that through to any particular passions or interests you've developed through them if you wanted to highlight your academia a bit more, but that's about as far as I'd go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    I don't think you need a dash there.
    You don't need one no- but I think it works better than a comma. It is used correctly, I looked it up. A dash can be used to interupt a sentence, two dashes surrounding the extra information if it comes mid sentence, one if the added information is followed by a full stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    You don't need one no- but I think it works better than a comma. It is used correctly, I looked it up. A dash can be used to interupt a sentence, two dashes surrounding the extra information if it comes mid sentence, one if the added information is followed by a full stop.
    okay...I just think it interrupts the flow of the sentence but it probably makes no difference

ReputationRep:
    I used a dash for saying "I also saw some negative sides of medicine - having to interact with people, all this bloody science, etc. etc."

Obviously they weren't my negatives, but if I do post the sentence I wouldn't be surprised if somebody plagiarised it. :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    not a ps question as such but just a general ucas form one: where do you put in your gcse grades and A2 predictors?
    Add your school in the "Education" section. Then add the GCSEs under that school. It should say "add qualification". There are different types of GCSE options to choose from (for example GCSE Double Award), so choose carefully.

A2 predictions are added by the referee. Nothing you can do about that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm just about to finish my PS. However is it okay if I link all my ECs to medicine and say how the skills learnt would be useful as a doctor? Or is it too much?

ReputationRep:
    I've done work experience but I dont know what to write about it. Should i write about what i observed? i dont really understand what i need to write in my ps regarding it..

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Just need a quick bit of help, what can I write instead of :

"has developed my insight" , "which gave me an insight ", "has permitted me insight"

Overused this word too much lol

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogdogdogcatcat)
    I've done work experience but I dont know what to write about it. Should i write about what i observed? i dont really understand what i need to write in my ps regarding it..
    look here: Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements

my question:

In my personal statement I may not have addressed team work enough. I mentioned the team work I saw at my work experience but with regards to my own team work I said I was a house captain and that I had discussions with my house members and classmates which allowed me to arrange XXXXXX. Would this be clear enough about my team work?

ReputationRep:
    Need some help with my personal statement. Is there a difference between empathy and sympathy? I mean, is it OK to say for example I showed empathy when dealing with the patients or shouls that be sympathy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Need some help with my personal statement. Is there a difference between empathy and sympathy? I mean, is it OK to say for example I showed empathy when dealing with the patients or shouls that be sympathy?
    I think empathy would be a better choice here - to my understanding it means you can imagine yourself in their shoes and feel with them, while sympathy is only to feel sorry for them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.