Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I talked about negatives to the career. It shows that you have seriously thought and considered your decision rather than just blindly going into it, and understand what you're letting yourself in for.

There's no harm in being a realist.

You can mention it, but I wouldn't dwell on it too much as it's not that relevant. Medical schools aren't necessary looking for someone 100% dedicated since they were 9, if anything they'll be pleased to see that you've explored other options.
    Okay thanks, also how do you know if you've wrote a good personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Okay thanks, also how do you know if you've wrote a good personal statement?
    Short answer - you can't. You can only know that you've written one to the best of your abilities.

Ultimately it's the admissions tutors who decide whether it's good or not, and unless you are one you can't know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer - you can't. You can only know that you've written one to the best of your abilities.

Ultimately it's the admissions tutors who decide whether it's good or not, and unless you are one you can't know for sure.
    I was hoping you wouldnt give me that answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    I was hoping you wouldnt give me that answer
    If you're happy with it, then that should be enough. But there's no definitive way of knowing - it's an essay, not any quanitifiable test.

But if you've done your best, then what more can you do?

ReputationRep:
    Should i include that the death of my cousin was one of the reasons that i chose medicine? I have added other reasons.

I have heard that admission tutors can be blase about death and they might not like that as a reason for medicine.

I would be uncomfortable if i was asked in the interview about the death of my cousin.Would i be questioned much on it?

ReputationRep:
    arrgh im lacking leadership skills to talk about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yhy92)
    Should i include that the death of my cousin was one of the reasons that i chose medicine? I have added other reasons.

I have heard that admission tutors can be blase about death and they might not like that as a reason for medicine.

I would be uncomfortable if i was asked in the interview about the death of my cousin.Would i be questioned much on it?
    If you talk about it in your statement be prepared to talk about it.

How did the death of your cousin strike an interest in medicine for you?

ReputationRep:
    As long as it was a MAJOR contributing factor. Like if it didn't happen, you wouldn't be applying for medicine, as they might think you're looking for a sympathy vote. :/

ReputationRep:
    If you're prepared to discuss it in a PS, you should be prepared to talk about it at length at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Why'd it make you consider medicine? If its something you can turn around, maybe say it was a life event that made you realise interests etc- you dont necessarily have to mention your cousin, or death

ReputationRep:
    I cannot think of a good opening line. Still. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    Neither can I...and mine's due in tomorrow :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    For personal statements, when you are discussing work experience etc. Is is better to say "I gained work experience in Hospital X" or would it be better to say "I gained work experience in a large university hospital". Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Neither can I...and mine's due in tomorrow :cry2:
    Same! :five: We can be screwed together haha.

ReputationRep:
    The wiki on this site says to say 'hospital' rather than state the specific name of the hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    The wiki on this site says to say 'hospital' rather than state the specific name of the hospital
    I know but some of my teachers have told me to be more specific so I wanted to see what other people thought

ReputationRep:
    Same! :five: We can be screwed together haha.
    :five: haha great :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Open with a quote from scrubs. Failing that, one from House. :teeth:

In actual fact, I can think of few things better than a personal statement which closes with "And remember, everybody lies."

ReputationRep:
    Open with a quote from scrubs. Failing that, one from House. :teeth:

In actual fact, I can think of few things better than a personal statement which closes with "And remember, everybody lies."
    "...treating illnesses is why we became doctors, treating patients is what makes most doctors miserable." 'sup universities, i'm like dedicated to medicineee, so let me in man

Could work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.