Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the PS helpers are ignoring me, its been on for a week and they haven't looked at it :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    :rofl: with what? what do you think it would like :beard:
    Some of the great literary works of the ages like Dan Brown. :flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Some of the great literary works of the ages like Dan Brown. :flute:
    I've just finished his latest one actually :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished his latest one actually :ninja:
    Is it any good?

Based on his last four books, which were essentially just one book with different covers, are any of the following predictions right:

• There are more twists than a corkscrew, yet the real villain is always so easy to predict.
    • He uses a fabric of facts and ******** as pretty padding, which will make people feel it's well researched
    • Some scholar will get placed inexplicably in danger, and end up having a mad dash through a famous city chased by an assassin/albino monk/SWAT team.
    • There will be some impossible code which in the final chapter some character will have a revelation that reveals it to be ridiculously simple
    • There will be a female character included for the benefit of our city-dashing hero, who's only real purpose for the plot seems to be to make movie adaptations a more enticing prospect.

:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Is it any good?

Based on his last four books, which were essentially just one book with different covers, are any of the following predictions right:

• There are more twists than a corkscrew, yet the real villain is always so easy to predict.
    • He uses a fabric of facts and ******** as pretty padding, which will make people feel it's well researched
    • Some scholar will get placed inexplicably in danger, and end up having a mad dash through a famous city chased by an assassin/albino monk/SWAT team.
    • There will be some impossible code which in the final chapter some character will have a revelation that reveals it to be ridiculously simple
    • There will be a female character included for the benefit of our city-dashing hero, who's only real purpose for the plot seems to be to make movie adaptations a more enticing prospect.

:teeth:
    Pretty much :yep: They're all so similar but I love them :emo:

I thought it was alright, got a bit blah near the end though.

Digital Fortress is still my fave.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much :yep: They're all so similar but I love them :emo:

I thought it was alright, got a bit blah near the end though.

Digital Fortress is still my fave.
    They're very readable, but after I do I always think "Why?".

Although Angels and Demons was amazing just for the chapter when the guy jumped out of a helicopter and didn't die because he'd grabbed hold of a door. :toofunny:

I almost wanted to go and see the film just to see how they'd show that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    the PS helpers are ignoring me, its been on for a week and they haven't looked at it :cry2:
    If you have a hard copy, I can read through it and talk it over with you on MSN, if you want.

I am however, not enlisting myself as a PS helper because, judging by your comments - the department is pretty swamped anyway :p:

ReputationRep:

Although Angels and Demons was amazing just for the chapter when the guy jumped out of a helicopter and didn't die because he'd grabbed hold of a door. :toofunny:

hahaha i forgot about that bit! it's madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Another thing...my head of sixth form suggested that i shouldnt include the fact that I mentioned that hosp drs were frustrated when patients had delays in leaving the hosp and develped infections.

I thought it would be important to include some of the bad things about being a doctor...not sure now?
    Including this particular point, in my opinion, is not a good idea.

You can talk about it at interview though.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha i forgot about that bit! it's madness.
    And he only did that because CERN employ fat chicks. :beard: "Little did Robert know, that information would save his life later that day..."

His writing is just hilarious at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    the PS helpers are ignoring me, its been on for a week and they haven't looked at it
    you've already had a first draft which means you're way down the list when it comes to priorities. There are currently more than 40 first drafts which need doing before any redrafts can be looked at (about a 6wk backlog of these) so chances of someone being able to have another look are low.

OP, where it comes to stating the skills you've learned, I'm personally for it as it shows you can reflect on the experiences you've had and relate them more directly to medicine (showing an understanding of why particular skills are important) - this is the approach a lot of PS helpers will take. Obviously, not everyone will agree on this line of thought and it's up to you how much you take from the reviews you get as at the end of the day it is your personal statement and you've got to be happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    you've already had a first draft which means you're way down the list when it comes to priorities. There are currently more than 40 first drafts which need doing before any redrafts can be looked at (about a 6wk backlog of these) so chances of someone being able to have another look are low.

OP, where it comes to stating the skills you've learned, I'm personally for it as it shows you can reflect on the experiences you've had and relate them more directly to medicine (showing an understanding of why particular skills are important) - this is the approach a lot of PS helpers will take. Obviously, not everyone will agree on this line of thought and it's up to you how much you take from the reviews you get as at the end of the day it is your personal statement and you've got to be happy with it.
    ok sorry i didn't know thats how it worked, im really grateful that someone looked at my 1st draft, you guys do a great job

ReputationRep:

In the film, the guy jumps out the helicopter, which explodes, and he descends from the smoke with a parachute IIRC :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're acceptable abbreviations - people will know what they stand for and it saves on space (I used MDT in mine).
    D'you think they are too informal though?

ReputationRep:
    i wrote 1 short sentance on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    In the film, the guy jumps out the helicopter, which explodes, and he descends from the smoke with a parachute IIRC :rolleyes:
    Well that sucks

ReputationRep:
    Well that sucks
    Quite a good film actually - pleasantly surprised after Da Vinci Code :lol:

How did your PS handing in melarchy go?

ReputationRep:

How did your PS handing in melarchy go?
    Hmm, I might watch it then :beard:

Weeeell i spent the whole day re-writing it but it's okay now I think haha, what about you? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I might watch it then :beard:

Weeeell i spent the whole day re-writing it but it's okay now I think haha, what about you? :awesome:
    Yeah, a day debating the position of a semi-colon wasn't the greatest fun, but I think it's ok now. Absolutely loveeee my teachers ahh how quickly opinions can change :awesome: I might give it into the PS helpers to see if they can have a look at it over the weekend, but they are flooded with PSs atm, so not much chance of that happening

ReputationRep:
    How disappointing - I would have felt very let down. :sad: Of course, they had a lot of obstacles to overcome in that film, what with the geography between totally different to the main premise and all. :teeth:

D'you think they are too informal though?
    I don't, and if anyone does it smacks vaguely of pomposity to me. People use terminologies like that every day, and they also know the pressures people are under with regards to their space limits. I can't believe anywhere would find it unacceptable.

The Da Vinci Code film was the only piece of media I spoke about at an interview. :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.