Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    How disappointing - I would have felt very let down. :sad: Of course, they had a lot of obstacles to overcome in that film, what with the geography between totally different to the main premise and all. :teeth:
    haha, I think it's called "artistic licence" :lol:

I don't, and if anyone does it smacks vaguely of pomposity to me. People use terminologies like that every day, and they also know the pressures people are under with regards to their space limits. I can't believe anywhere would find it unacceptable.
    Agreed.

The Da Vinci Code film was the only piece of media I spoke about at an interview. :p:
    haha how did that come up?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    OP, where it comes to stating the skills you've learned, I'm personally for it as it shows you can reflect on the experiences you've had and relate them more directly to medicine (showing an understanding of why particular skills are important) - this is the approach a lot of PS helpers will take. Obviously, not everyone will agree on this line of thought and it's up to you how much you take from the reviews you get as at the end of the day it is your personal statement and you've got to be happy with it.
    Just thought I'd share my views.

I am going to post it on here because I really disagree with personal statements being written where the 'skills' gained are mentioned explicitly.

It's all about how you spin it, and how you use your words.

Saying something like... "A week spent over the summer as a member of a team of carers..." implies teamworking skills. There is no need to point out that you gained/improved teamworking skills explicitly. The admissions tutors will see you've spent a week over the summer, doing whatever as a member of this team of carers, and it's there. You don't need to spell it out.

The same goes for communication skills or whatever the helll you claim you've 'gained' or 'improved'. There is no need to mention it explicitly, because frankly it sounds crap when you do that... it's all about how you spin it. You have to write it implicitly but make it come out explicitly without it being said - let the admissions tutors work it out!

This explains why I believe the majority of personal statements (example ones) on this site are utterly useless.

I hope this helps.

Also, for the people who've PMed me asking for PS help. I might be avaliable at another date, maybe tomorrow or something. I've already looked through 1 PS today, and I'm getting an early (earlier) night today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    haha, I think it's called "artistic licence" :lol:
    That's fair enough, but then he wraps it all up with his prologue notes proclaiming it to be fact and suddenly he has a reputation for being well researched.

Unless by well researched he means "Uh, I looked into it and realised it didn't fit so I moved everything round a bit."

haha how did that come up?!
    I wrote about doing some film reviews for a newspaper in my PS, and at one of my Oxford interviews the guy asked me to talk about a film recently. So I got to **** it off for a couple of minutes. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough, but then he wraps it all up with his prologue notes proclaiming it to be fact and suddenly he has a reputation for being well researched.

Unless by well researched he means "Uh, I looked into it and realised it didn't fit so I moved everything round a bit."
    Yeah, that's what annoys me about him. I think he's a good storyteller, but claiming it's any more than a work of fiction is just annoying.

I wrote about doing some film reviews for a newspaper in my PS, and at one of my Oxford interviews the guy asked me to talk about a film recently. So I got to **** it off for a couple of minutes. :p:
    haha sounds like a nice interview compared to the legendary tales of Oxbridge interviews :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Yeah, that's what annoys me about him. I think he's a good storyteller, but claiming it's any more than a work of fiction is just annoying.
    He knows how to keep you turning the pages, but the actual writing is horrible at times.

haha sounds like a nice interview compared to the legendary tales of Oxbridge interviews :lol:
    Some of the stuff was weird, like I walked into one and the guy started shouting mental arithmetic questions at me. And then another one turned into a half-hour interrogation with the guy determined to break me.

But they weren't too bad. I was almost disappointed I didn't get told to chuck a brick out of a window.

ReputationRep:
    He knows how to keep you turning the pages, but the actual writing is horrible at times.
    I don't really notice things like that :p: If it's interesting or exciting, then that's all I need :rolleyes:

Some of the stuff was weird, like I walked into one and the guy started shouting mental arithmetic questions at me. And then another one turned into a half-hour interrogation with the guy determined to break me.

But they weren't too bad. I was almost disappointed I didn't get told to chuck a brick out of a window.
    Sounds terrifying lol! After all of this PS rubbish, we've got interviews to come (hopefully) :argh: This year is going to be draining :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    would it be benficial to mention how long i did my W/E for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -UNKNOWN)
    Nope, no benefit at all. Its quality not quantity. Write what you learned from it

ReputationRep:
    I would just check the websites of the unis your thinking of applying to. if you look at Manchester they say:

'Tell us how you got involved in such work, how long you have been doing it, how much time you spend each week and, most importantly, what you have gained from it.'

see it in context in this link: Manchester personal statement

so adding something briefly like: since XXXXX I have been volunteering XXXXX times a week. This may be something they are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds terrifying lol! After all of this PS rubbish, we've got interviews to come (hopefully) :argh: This year is going to be draining :rolleyes:
    Tell me about it, the A2 year is a *****. PS, entrance exams, interviews, harder exams, sickening waits... but at the end of it you get a nice long rest. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Leeds say: "Tip: Provide details of the type of work experience and its duration."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Nope, no benefit at all. Its quality not quantity. Write what you learned from it

Hey, I noticed your going to Cambridge, in terms of yor personal statement, was it very much focussed on the scientific aspects of medicine? The reason being is that, I have decided recentely to apply to Cambridge, but my PS is very much directed at the caring role of medicine - if you get my drift. Perhaps I should throw in a few books i've read, or talk about my a level subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Hey, I noticed your going to Cambridge, in terms of yor personal statement, was it very much focussed on the scientific aspects of medicine? The reason being is that, I have decided recentely to apply to Cambridge, but my PS is very much directed at the caring role of medicine - if you get my drift. Perhaps I should throw in a few books i've read, or talk about my a level subjects?
    My PS was very academic and science orientated in terms of medicine. However I did not neglect the caring role of doctors and stated that it was my love of science combined with my wanting to help people that made me want to do medicine. However I did mention all the academic awards I had won, as well as my A-level subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its good if I mention that I come from a country full of illness to show the importance of medicine to me? And can I state that my interest in cardiovascular diseases is partly because a few family members suffer from them?

ReputationRep:
    I want to include a supposed research into medicine in my PS, but the trouble is I haven't got any ( as of yet anyway). I know what you thinking... however I'm interested in neurology and more specifically the neurobiology of Epilepsy. Anyone got any suggestions of how to start my research. I want an area which is within neurology, which isn't too complicated and fairly easy of me to get a grip on any suggestions,boys and girls?

ReputationRep:
    Begin with Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Begin with Google.
    that's really unhelpful......

ReputationRep:
    Begin with Google.

You know, one thing I absolutely can't stomach is sarcasm. Google is just to vague of a search engine, which just uses stupid simultaneous equations to find key words that I typed in the search rectangle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    You know, one thing I absolutely can't stomach is sarcasm. Google is just to vague of a search engine, which just uses stupid simultaneous equations to find key words that I typed in the search rectangle.
    Fair enough. Try the Wellcome library, or ask your sister to bring back resources from Imperial if you don't want the internet. I'm sure Imperial loan books to students, no?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Try the Wellcome library, or ask your sister to bring back resources from Imperial if you don't want the internet. I'm sure Imperial loan books to students, no?
    I was thinking of that, and I already have asked her but it may take some time and I was just asking for suggestions from people who on TSR who may have an idea.

have you got something against me, I'm very good with people, I tend to sense this aura, vibe if you like, off people. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.