Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    I want to include a supposed research into medicine in my PS, but the trouble is I haven't got any ( as of yet anyway). I know what you thinking... however I'm interested in neurology and more specifically the neurobiology of Epilepsy. Anyone got any suggestions of how to start my research. I want an area which is within neurology, which isn't too complicated and fairly easy of me to get a grip on any suggestions,boys and girls?
    Use your initiative? tbh wikipedia is usually a good place to start...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    I was thinking of that, and I already have asked her but it may take some time and I was just asking for suggestions from people who on TSR who may have an idea.

have you got something against me, I'm very good with people, I tend to sense this aura, vibe if you like, off people. :yep:
    looool, are you for real? I emit nothing but positivity. So your sister must have done really well to get into Imperial! I'm still deciding between UCL and ICL. She must have scored quite highly in the BMAT? Does she have a lot of lectures at ICL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Use your initiative? tbh wikipedia is usually a good place to start...
    Wikipedia is not a good source to use. I agree with the initiative thing, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Wikipedia is not a good source to use. I agree with the initiative thing, though.
    I suggested Wikipedia as a place to read about it and find a topic she might be interested in. Then, she can use other sources. tbh I use wikipedia a lot, and if you use the information along with other sources, I've never found it to be unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    Say what?

Wikipedia is an immense source to use, at least to get a basic grounding in something. It taught me the foundations of inorganic chemistry, particle physics and genetics in under an hour.

Of course, it never hurts to check certain things (particularly if you're going to be submitting the research), but nowhere near as many pages are wrong as some people make out.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm applying to do Foundation Medicine, earlier I sent my PS to my ex-head of sixth form. She said that I should say why I didn't pick Chem/Bio at A level. But the thing is, the main reason why I didn't is because the science department at my school is terrible, I had no support during GCSE's and had to teach myself most of the content. Also, I didn't know who I wanted to be, so picked "arty" subjects instead. So is it neccessary to include this? I'm two lines over the limit already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Say what?

Wikipedia is an immense source to use, at least to get a basic grounding in something. It taught me the foundations of inorganic chemistry, particle physics and genetics in under an hour.

Of course, it never hurts to check certain things (particularly if you're going to be submitting the research), but nowhere near as many pages are wrong as some people make out.
    I'm referring to research that's going to be submitted. If it's for your own personal research then yeah, wiki is great! It's just that while doing my EPQ we were told to not include wiki in any of our sources and we were told to avoid using it. Apparently AQA would've hated it if it was in our bibliography. :dontknow: That's not to say I didn't read it to get a basic knowledge of my project thing though :p: I just never used it as a solid source, I needed to use official medical sources.

ReputationRep:
    I'm referring to research that's going to be submitted. If it's for your own personal research then yeah, wiki is great! It's just that while doing my EPQ we were told to not include wiki in any of our sources and we were told to avoid using it. Apparently AQA would've hated it if it was in our bibliography. :dontknow: That's not to say I didn't read it to get a basic knowledge of my project thing though :p: I just never used it as a solid source, I needed to use official medical sources.
    For my pieces of coursework when it came to sources I just used the list of sources that wikipedia provided, efficient and some were very academic sounding. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia is great, not always to get information off directly (I defintley never do this ) but to find sources from the list at the bottom :yep:

ReputationRep:
    For my pieces of coursework when it came to sources I just used the list of sources that wikipedia provided, efficient and some were very academic sounding. :holmes:
    :yep: Looks much better than 20-odd wikipedia pages :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    My PS was very academic and science orientated in terms of medicine. However I did not neglect the caring role of doctors and stated that it was my love of science combined with my wanting to help people that made me want to do medicine. However I did mention all the academic awards I had won, as well as my A-level subjects.
    Damn I new my personal statement was full of cliches.

I'm not applying to Cambridge, I'm applying for Glasgow, Leicester, Durham (via Newcastle) and BSMS. I seemed to have focused more towards the qualities a doctor has and caring etc rather than academic, and I ran out of room so took my paragraph about my subjects and the poster award I won out. As the ones I'm applying to aren't all ACADEMICS ACADEMICS ACADEMICS like cambridge do you think this will/won't be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    :yep: Looks much better than 20-odd wikipedia pages :awesome:
    Aye, I had some awesome sources - like I got the price of carbon nanotubes per gram from a company which sells them. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Damn I new my personal statement was full of cliches.

I'm not applying to Cambridge, I'm applying for Glasgow, Leicester, Durham (via Newcastle) and BSMS. I seemed to have focused more towards the qualities a doctor has and caring etc rather than academic, and I ran out of room so took my paragraph about my subjects and the poster award I won out. As the ones I'm applying to aren't all ACADEMICS ACADEMICS ACADEMICS like cambridge do you think this will/won't be a problem?
    imo a paragraph about your subjects could be much better spent, and I didn't really talk about academics at all in my PS, coz they can see that in your grades and predictions :dontknow: Everyone's whose read mine hasn't commented on the lack of "academics" so I wouldn't have thought it was a problem. Reading your post is worrying me now :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Wikipedia is great, not always to get information off directly (I defintley never do this ) but to find sources from the list at the bottom :yep:
    :zomg:

Am I that blind?! I never even noticed those sources at the bottom!!! Do you know how long it took me to find reliable sources :sad: Though most of the sources I used aren't in wiki...but that would've saved me a lot of time.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I had some awesome sources - like I got the price of carbon nanotubes per gram from a company which sells them. :beard:
    Are you having a new avatar every day or something? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Are you having a new avatar every day or something? :lol:
    Pretty much. :p:

I'm trying to see which one looks the best, and they all look pretty cool anyway. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    imo a paragraph about your subjects could be much better spent, and I didn't really talk about academics at all in my PS, coz they can see that in your grades and predictions :dontknow: Everyone's whose read mine hasn't commented on the lack of "academics" so I wouldn't have thought it was a problem. Reading your post is worrying me now :argh:
    No it's ok I agree and Hygeia (who appears knowledgable) told me a similar thing.. I had to cut about 300-400 characters and if I had taken anything else I'd have lost a lot more than what I lost with my subjects as everyone kind of says the same thing anyway if you get what I mean (I know I'm talkign rubbish).
    Cambridge and Oxford are different I think - when I went to an open day at Oxford they told me they don't really care about work experience - in that they seem to focus solely/primarly on academics... most other med schools don't seem to do that anymore.
    Also referance seems to cover academic side of things quite well.

OT but I'm applying I just realised to 3 med schools that require AAB when I'm perfectly capable of AAA (AAAA at AS). Do AAB schools have more competition because of lower entry requirements? Would I be better applying to another one with AAA requirements or am I just thinking about it too much?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much. :p:

I'm trying to see which one looks the best, and they all look pretty cool anyway. :awesome:
    I like this one most - it catches your attention more :awesome: Having said that, I can't remember any of your other ones :p: Short term memory loss :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:

Am I that blind?! I never even noticed those sources at the bottom!!! Do you know how long it took me to find reliable sources :sad: Though most of the sources I used aren't in wiki...but that would've saved me a lot of time.
    Lol I don't mean just steal the source and stick them at the end of your research project claiming to have used them :p:

I mean I find the page relevant to whatever I'm researching, go to the sources, go and find the book in my library, read. Normally it works well & I get far more out of that than just reading Wikipedia. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    No it's ok I agree and Hygeia (who appears knowledgable) told me a similar thing.. I had to cut about 300-400 characters and if I had taken anything else I'd have lost a lot more than what I lost with my subjects as everyone kind of says the same thing anyway if you get what I mean (I know I'm talkign rubbish).
    Cambridge and Oxford are different I think - when I went to an open day at Oxford they told me they don't really care about work experience - in that they seem to focus solely/primarly on academics... most other med schools don't seem to do that anymore.

OT but I'm applying I just realised to 3 med schools that require AAB when I'm perfectly capable of AAA (AAAA at AS). Do AAB schools have more competition because of lower entry requirements? Would I be better applying to another one with AAA requirements or am I just thinking about it too much?
    Yeah, I think it was Hygeia who told me the same thing :p:

I think you're thinking about it too much - most people get AAA even if they apply to AAB medical schools...I don't think they have so much more competition because of that :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.