Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trektor)
    I'm also on a gap year but do you really have to mention what you plan to do on your gap year?

I was just planning on following a format like:Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements

and saying the important stuff like: why I want to do medicine, My work experience/voluntary work and what I have learnt, other work to gain understanding of a career in medicine.

if we are going on a gap year should we mention what we plan to do in our gap year in our personal statements?
    im not a gapper (yet but will most likely end up being one) but i heard and thought that it is good to mention what you plan to do as it shows that your going to be spending your time doing constructive things.
    for deffered entries they definitely like you to say what you will be doing in your gap year but im guessing its exactly the same case if its not deferred

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but...
    1. How much space should each part of the PS (ie. reasons for studying medicine, work experience, voluntary work and ECs) take up (ideally)? Which sections are the most important and should be emphasised if I find it difficult to distribute the parts equally?
    2. When I posted my first draft PS in the PS helper forum, I often got the reply that I needed to relate my skills back to medicine. I understand that why this is important, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to relate my skills back to medicine without being repetitive about it (eg. always saying why the skill is important for a doctor).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Should I put down that I read NewScientist in my PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Should I put down that I read NewScientist in my PS?
    My feeling is that it is a bit cliched. Plenty of people say they read NewScientist, Student BMJ etc etc etc

Having said that, if you put it down and say how this makes you more attractive as an applicant and what you've learnt from reading it then
    it will probably be fine. If all you're going to say is "I regulary read NewScientist, i find it very interesting" it's not really adding much and
    i'd avoid putting it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onychophagia)
    My feeling is that it is a bit cliched. Plenty of people say they read NewScientist, Student BMJ etc etc etc

Having said that, if you put it down and say how this makes you more attractive as an applicant and what you've learnt from reading it then
    it will probably be fine. If all you're going to say is "I regulary read NewScientist, i find it very interesting" it's not really adding much and
    i'd avoid putting it in.
    Now to show this post to my (obsessive but well meaning) dad. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wrote my PS and submitted it to the helpers and got really good feedback (cheers digitalis!). I didn't realise I was so much over the limit 'cause I didn't realise it was with spaces .

With spaces I've got 4,800, without I'm sat just under 4000. I have no idea what to cut out though without slaughtering my personal statement .

ReputationRep:
    I am a christian and well my faith is a pretty big part of my life, so I kinda feel like I want to write about it a little in my personal statement, but I'm not sure how universities view that sort of thing? If any one has any ideas that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    i was wondering with the TSR PS helping thingy that when our personal statements get scanned by UCAS for plagiarism whether it will pick up that theres a very close copy on TSR (obviously if it does pick it up then thats automatically onto the ucas blacklist) ???!?!?
    The PS help forums are private forums which are not able to be accessed by any of the scanning software. As long as you don't post your statement in the public sections of the site, you don't need to worry about it.

(Original post by Anasuya)
    I am a christian and well my faith is a pretty big part of my life, so I kinda feel like I want to write about it a little in my personal statement, but I'm not sure how universities view that sort of thing? If any one has any ideas that would be great.
    I've seen it on several occasions in people's personal statements. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so if you want to talk a bit about it, you wouldn't be the first to do so but be careful with how much you write.

ReputationRep:
    are abbreviations a good or bad idea?
    in particular GSK (glaxosmithkline) and WHO (world health organisation) ???
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I dont know whether i should include my a level subjects in my ps and explain how they are beneficial to me. Is it the norm to do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    thanks
    In general, abbreviations should be avoided.

(Original post by dogdogdogcatcat)
    I dont know whether i should include my a level subjects in my ps and explain how they are beneficial to me. Is it the norm to do so?
    Some people do include them but in most cases they say exactly the same thing as everyone else who writes about them so you'd be better off using the space for other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    thanks

My common logic would tell me that I would abbreviate when I might re-use the word again.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh I cant come up with a good first line. Everything I come up with has been said before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presidential)
    Ergh I cant come up with a good first line. Everything I come up with has been said before.

Just state why you want to do medicine, for me I like science and I want to learn more about how it improves health. Later on I mention that my work experiences have comfirmed my desire to study Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    i was wondering with the TSR PS helping thingy that when our personal statements get scanned by UCAS for plagiarism whether it will pick up that theres a very close copy on TSR (obviously if it does pick it up then thats automatically onto the ucas blacklist) ???!?!?
    Hmm having said that it is immune to any scanning software, is there a risk in emailing your PS through Hotmail or even through studentforum mail? and if you have does that automatically get ucas blacklisted ??

ReputationRep:
    Just state why you want to do medicine, for me I like science and I want to learn more about how it improves health. Later on I mention that my work experiences have comfirmed my desire to study Medicine.
    I get what your saying. However how do i pull in the reader without it seeming like he/shes heard it all before?

ReputationRep:
    I get what your saying. However how do i pull in the reader without it seeming like he/shes heard it all before?
    they have heard it all before, your job is to make it sound genuine! dont worry if your reasons for wanting to go into med are cliched, if they mean something to you then you should write it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't aim for somethin original, aim for something that sounds good. Just don't put "Since I was five I always wanted ..." and you'd be alright. You can draw the person in, in your second sentence. Admissions don't just read the first line, they read the whole thing multiple times before making a decision.

ReputationRep:
    Is it medicine or Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Is it medicine or Medicine?
    medicine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.