Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Lol I don't mean just steal the source and stick them at the end of your research project claiming to have used them :p:

I mean I find the page relevant to whatever I'm researching, go to the sources, go and find the book in my library, read. Normally it works well & I get far more out of that than just reading Wikipedia. :p:
    :lolwut: I meant I never saw the sources, thus I couldn't have used them...it'd be pretty silly to randomly stick sources at the end of your project as you have to footnote them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    I like this one most - it catches your attention more :awesome: Having said that, I can't remember any of your other ones :p: Short term memory loss :yep:
    Anything with a link to Fallout 3 looks groovy, tbh. :cool:

(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    :lolwut: I meant I never saw the sources, thus I couldn't have used them...it'd be pretty silly to randomly stick sources at the end of your project as you have to footnote them...
    Not really, the numbers on the wikipedia page show you what information came from where, and then you can find where you've used that bit of information and reference it. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    That was the way you made it sound
    And plenty of people do it. Lazy people. Annoying when they don't get spotted, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    And plenty of people do it. Lazy people. Annoying when they don't get spotted, though.
    I didn't mean it that way at all. I meant if I had saw the sources, I wouldn't have had to spend so much time searching for reliable sources - I could've used the ones on wikipedia. I would never just stick sources at the end of my project, and I certainly didnt. Considering you have to evaluate sources, that would have been pointless. I'm not the type of person to do that. Forget it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Anything with a link to Fallout 3 looks groovy, tbh. :cool:

Not really, the numbers on the wikipedia page show you what information came from where, and then you can find where you've used that bit of information and reference it. Simples.
    I meant I couldn't just write down sources in my bibliography, I would have had to use the sources and footnote them in my piece of writing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean it that way at all. I meant if I had saw the sources, I wouldn't have had to spend so much time searching for reliable sources - I could've used the ones on wikipedia. I would never just stick sources at the end of my project, and I certainly didnt. Considering you have to evaluate sources, that would have been pointless. Forget it...
    I know you didn't mean it like that because you clarified. I just said thats how it sounded. No need to be rude :p:
    I was just saying I also took you to mean that because lots of people do do that. Take my friend last year, did EQP, made up loads of random stuff, found sources from wikipedia and stuck them on the end, intermingled them with the occasional real source and came out with a B! So that's what I mean by annoying.
    No worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    It's not cheating in the slightest, so there's nothing to get caught about. You're simply using the information presented, and noting down the original source it was taken from.

It's just a more efficient process of what you were doing - so don't feel all high and mighty because you wasted time reading a book.

ReputationRep:
    It's not cheating in the slightest, so there's nothing to get caught about. You're simply using the information presented, and noting down the original source it was taken from.

It's just a more efficient process of what you were doing - so don't feel all high and mighty because you wasted time reading a book.
    Read my above post. That is cheating.
    And I don't consider furthering my knowledge "wasting time" at all.
    I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't enjoyed it, hell half of it wasn't being used for anything other than personal gain anyway.

And it is relatively lazy. If you want to be thorough and reliable in what you're doing -- Wikipedia is not always correct and can be editted by anyone -- you should double check sources before using them.

ReputationRep:

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I know you didn't mean it like that because you clarified. I just said thats how it sounded. No need to be rude :p:
    I was just saying I also took you to mean that because lots of people do do that. Take my friend last year, did EQP, made up loads of random stuff, found sources from wikipedia and stuck them on the end, intermingled them with the occasional real source and came out with a B! So that's what I mean by annoying.
    No worries.
    lol I wasn't being rude at all. And I worked my ass off for my EPQ and I'm proud of my prediction :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Read my above post. That is cheating.
    And I don't consider furthering my knowledge "wasting time" at all.
    I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't enjoyed it, hell half of it wasn't being used for anything other than personal gain anyway.

And it is relatively lazy. If you want to be thorough and reliable in what you're doing -- Wikipedia is not always correct and can be editted by anyone -- you should double check sources before using them.
    If you got something out of it then that should be enough for you, you shouldn't have to feel bitter and annoyed because other people did less than you. (Unless, of course, you were only reading it to do well :erm:)

Your own success should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    If you got something out of it then that should be enough for you, you shouldn't have to feel bitter and annoyed because other people did less than you. (Unless, of course, you were only reading it to do well :erm:)

Your own success should be enough.
    Wait, hold on, back up to the point where I said I was bitter and annoyed? Did I not just say it's annoying in a jokey way?
    I don't give one if people do less than me, especially as they typically do worse than me as a concequence.
    I admit though, it is reasonably annoying that they are able to get away with it. Not because of how much they did in comparison to me, just generally annoying.

ReputationRep:
    lol I wasn't being rude at all. And I worked my ass off for my EPQ and I'm proud of my prediction :woo:
    That's great, what did you get?
    What have you done yours on?
    I'm working on mine right now...

I have periods of intense motivation and then just seem to forget about it for ages as general A2 work takes over my life piece by piece :p:
    Im hoping to have it completed by Christmas though, which should be do-able - if not I'll finish it over feb half term (want to stop working on everything by Christmas to concentrate on Jan exams)

Where have you decided to apply btw? Was it you that wanted to stay in London? How did your ASs go... *goes to stalk your posts*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    That's great, what did you get?
    What have you done yours on?
    I'm working on mine right now...

I have periods of intense motivation and then just seem to forget about it for ages as general A2 work takes over my life piece by piece :p:
    Im hoping to have it completed by Christmas though, which should be do-able - if not I'll finish it over feb half term (want to stop working on everything by Christmas to concentrate on Jan exams)

Where have you decided to apply btw? Was it you that wanted to stay in London? How did your ASs go... *goes to stalk your posts*
    I did mine on embryo genetic screening, I'm predicted an A*. I loved doing it, but it was really tough at times. I managed to finish it within 2 months (well, we had no choice :p: ). Yeah, that was me :afraid: , I got 5As at AS...won't put me at any advantage though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Wait, hold on, back up to the point where I said I was bitter and annoyed? Did I not just say it's annoying in a jokey way?
    I don't give one if people do less than me, especially as they typically do worse than me as a concequence.
    I admit though, it is reasonably annoying that they are able to get away with it. Not because of how much they did in comparison to me, just generally annoying.
    From my experience, there will always be people who do less than you. You can either get annoyed, or just be happy in what you've achieved.

Don't be the former.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, there will always be people who do less than you. You can either get annoyed, or just be happy in what you've achieved.

Don't be the former.
    Hm- I don't seem to be explaining well.

I don't find it annoying because they do less - I am aware I work harder than the majority of people in my college

I found it relatively annoying because they were blatantly cheating and getting away with it.

But don't worry, I certainly don't lose any sleep over it

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on embryo genetic screening, I'm predicted an A*. I loved doing it, but it was really tough at times. I managed to finish it within 2 months (well, we had no choice :p: ). Yeah, that was me :afraid: , I got 5As at AS...won't put me at any advantage though tbh.
    No but it puts you in a good position for A2 if you have good grades at AS, not only in UMS points wise but in that it shows you have a good grasp of all the subjects you've done. don't have to worry about begging teachers for predictions or resitting any modules (which must be hellish) -- what did you do btw?
    That sounds interesting. Not going to lie, I know nothing about it!
    I'm doing mine on Malaria and I'm loving it.
    2 months sounds very intense! Its taken 2 months for some people I want to interview to email me back! (and say no... :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    No but it puts you in a good position for A2 if you have good grades at AS, not only in UMS points wise but in that it shows you have a good grasp of all the subjects you've done. don't have to worry about begging teachers for predictions or resitting any modules (which must be hellish) -- what did you do btw?
    That sounds interesting. Not going to lie, I know nothing about it!
    I'm doing mine on Malaria and I'm loving it.
    2 months sounds very intense! Its taken 2 months for some people I want to interview to email me back! (and say no... :p: )
    I did the norm medicine subjects and two "writing" ones Though I wish med schools would look at AS grades. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I did the norm medicine subjects and two "writing" ones Though I wish med schools would look at AS grades. :mad:
    Why do they do that?! If they want to differentiate between similar candidates, why don't they use the latest academic record? It makes no sense! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Why do they do that?! If they want to differentiate between similar candidates, why don't they use the latest academic record? It makes no sense! :mad:
    I think it's because it would be unfair to the candidates whose school doesn't allow them to put them on UCAS.
    Or then unfair to candidates who do badly and have to put them on, as there could be candidates who did worse but haven't?
    If you get my drift?

Solution - should be compulsory to declare AS grades with an option to tell them if you are planning to resit modules.

But I know it's very annoying
    Especially when my AS performance shows a lot of improvement from GCSE

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.