Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Personal Statements: Advice and Questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Why do they do that?! If they want to differentiate between similar candidates, why don't they use the latest academic record? It makes no sense! :mad:
    I really wish they would. Then they could see the real concientious workers (with some exceptions) from the start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think it's because it would be unfair to the candidates whose school doesn't allow them to put them on UCAS.
    Or then unfair to candidates who do badly and have to put them on, as there could be candidates who did worse but haven't?
    If you get my drift?

Solution - should be compulsory to declare AS grades with an option to tell them if you are planning to resit modules.

But I know it's very annoying
    Especially when my AS performance shows a lot of improvement from GCSE
    A very sensible solution indeed - and bleeding obvious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I really wish they would. Then they could see the real concientious workers (with some exceptions) from the start.
    Which uni's actually say they won't look at AS levels? I know Bristol don't, but any else?

ReputationRep:
    Which uni's actually say they won't look at AS levels? I know Bristol don't, but any else?
    The only uni I know that does look at ASs (only to check if predictions are realistic) is UCL.

ReputationRep:
    The only uni I know that does look at ASs (only to check if predictions are realistic) is UCL.
    Really?! :lolwot: When they say "academic ability", that means GCSE, AS levels and A2 predictions doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Really?! :lolwot: When they say "academic ability", that means GCSE, AS levels and A2 predictions doesn't it?
    Yep.
    They say "The reference on the UCAS application must list both the A-level and the additional AS-level grade predictions in order for the candidate to be considered further."

But how can you have "AS level grade predictions"?

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    They say "The reference on the UCAS application must list both the A-level and the additional AS-level grade predictions in order for the candidate to be considered further."

From what you've done before. For example from your GCSEs, and if you've done them ASs and A2s. They only give you AS predictions if you choose to do extra ones after applying through UCAS (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Some people take another AS level in year 13, so could be that :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Some people take another AS level in year 13, so could be that :dontknow:
    Yup! Unis might be interested in what the applicant is predicted to get if they do sit another AS after the application is sent off to UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Damn I new my personal statement was full of cliches.

I'm not applying to Cambridge, I'm applying for Glasgow, Leicester, Durham (via Newcastle) and BSMS. I seemed to have focused more towards the qualities a doctor has and caring etc rather than academic, and I ran out of room so took my paragraph about my subjects and the poster award I won out. As the ones I'm applying to aren't all ACADEMICS ACADEMICS ACADEMICS like cambridge do you think this will/won't be a problem?
    Did you use that phrase? I worded it a lot better so it didn't sound as cliched as that and added a few bits in to it. I do not think it would have any problems, in fact my academic and scientific PS i think disadvantaged me at 2 of my medical school choices

ReputationRep:
    If I copy a line of a forum for my PS will this get caught by UCAS? Its an American forum.

ReputationRep:
    I saved a baby by running into a burning building. Seriously. when i was 15. didn't think life was worth living at teh time, got into the papers etc... is it worth mentioning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelski786)
    If I copy a line of a forum for my PS will this get caught by UCAS? Its an American forum.
    Quite possibly. Better safe than sorry

(Original post by iloveschool1992)
    I saved a baby by running into a burning building. Seriously. when i was 15. didn't think life was worth living at teh time, got into the papers etc... is it worth mentioning?
    I wouldn't explicitly mention that in a PS, but it would be an interesting story maybe for the interview?

It just sounds a little reckless if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Did you use that phrase? I worded it a lot better so it didn't sound as cliched as that and added a few bits in to it. I do not think it would have any problems, in fact my academic and scientific PS i think disadvantaged me at 2 of my medical school choices
    not word for word but that is defintely my general gist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelski786)
    Having read some PSs in TSR's library, mine has some sentences that are almost exactly the same, but most medicine PSs will have similar bits, so will that be a problem? Quite worrying really :argh:

ReputationRep:
    Got a question :p:

Should a specific-interest passage (eg. about alzheimer's or whatever) go as a new paragraph after W/E or together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Got a question :p:

Should a specific-interest passage (eg. about alzheimer's or whatever) go as a new paragraph after W/E or together?
    That might make it a v big paragraph, so might be better to split it up, and give it some structure.

ReputationRep:
    Having read some PSs in TSR's library, mine has some sentences that are almost exactly the same, but most medicine PSs will have similar bits, so will that be a problem? Quite worrying really :argh:
    Hmmmm, it might cause a problem. I have copied a line aswell but it's not from a personal statement. It was just a comment left on a forum called student doctor that I thought would be guide good to use. I don't think it will cause me a problem because the personal statements only get checked against previous personal statements and sample personal statements.

Also, I think this copy catch system has flaws in it. Lots of people will use similar lines as each other in personal statements. That dosen't mean they are cheating??

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point in me posting my ps in the ps helper bit since it will be very busy with the deadline only two weeks away?

ReputationRep:
    That might make it a v big paragraph, so might be better to split it up, and give it some structure.
    Now that I think about it, you're right.. as if there isn't already a big enough difference between the size of my W/E and Voluntary work paragraphs :lolwut:

Thanks alot

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.