Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelski786)
    Is there any point in me posting my ps in the ps helper bit since it will be very busy with the deadline only two weeks away?
    You can try.. The PS Helpers are very busy from what I've heard. But if they get to you in time, then great, if not, then at least you tried. =]

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point in me posting my ps in the ps helper bit since it will be very busy with the deadline only two weeks away?
    Go for it, my amazing ps helper :suith: edited mine twice in three days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    Go for it, my amazing ps helper :suith: edited mine twice in three days.

I had 3 different people look at mine. And quite a few times too..

Although, I did start my PS before the summer.. So they weren't doing much then. =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munim)
    I had 3 different people look at mine. And quite a few times too..

Although, I did start my PS before the summer.. So they weren't doing much then. =D
    Aw, well I wasn't quite that organised..I started mine last sunday :o:

ReputationRep:
    Aw, well I wasn't quite that organised..I started mine last sunday :o:
    Wow! How have you managed to get them to look at yours more than once? I know that they've got so much to do, that they're giving every PS one look before giving any second edits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munim)
    Wow! How have you managed to get them to look at yours more than once? I know that they've got so much to do, that they're giving every PS one look before giving any second edits.
    Who knows haha, my ps helper was amazing :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Who knows haha, my ps helper was amazing :yep:
    Who was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munim)
    Who was it?
    sohanshah :yep:

ReputationRep:
    sohanshah :yep:
    Cool!

I've had:
    theredsox (x2)
    FTC199
    FFCrusader (x2)

With extra little bits that I haven't bothered to include.
    I love this service.I should have made use of it more last year. Haha!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by munim)
    Cool!

I've had:
    theredsox (x2)
    FTC199
    FFCrusader (x2)

With extra little bits that I haven't bothered to include.
    I love this service.I should have made use of it more last year. Haha!

I had theredsox, but she seems to have disappeared since 18th of sep.

Overall including last year, iv had 3 diferent ps helpers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I had theredsox, but she seems to have disappeared since 18th of sep.

Overall including last year, iv had 3 diferent ps helpers.
    She was great, as were my other two PS helpers.

I think she's having a few problems at the moment. Not sure, but a while ago she had mentioned something.. I don't know if I can say though. =S I might not be right either.. Lol! So I'd rather not say anything.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, it might cause a problem. I have copied a line aswell but it's not from a personal statement. It was just a comment left on a forum called student doctor that I thought would be guide good to use. I don't think it will cause me a problem because the personal statements only get checked against previous personal statements and sample personal statements.

Also, I think this copy catch system has flaws in it. Lots of people will use similar lines as each other in personal statements. That dosen't mean they are cheating??
    I heard that they had to be 60% the same for it to be caught...dunno if that's true or not, but it makes more sense imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Now that I think about it, you're right.. as if there isn't already a big enough difference between the size of my W/E and Voluntary work paragraphs :lolwut:

Thanks alot
    No worries :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    If I copy a line of a forum for my PS will this get caught by UCAS? Its an American forum.
    Probably not, although it seems a bit strange to just quote someone else's thoughts verbatim and then pass them off as your own (unless you use quotation marks, obviously).

Do you not think you could use your own words and put across the same message in something more personal to you?

(Original post by LetoKynes)
    Got a question :p:

Should a specific-interest passage (eg. about alzheimer's or whatever) go as a new paragraph after W/E or together?
    Depends on how you are structuring your PS really (and how the topic fits in). If you got an interest from your work experience, then it might make sense to keep it in the same paragraph and lead on from that (it's what I did).

However, if it's a completely separate interest, then you might be better off giving it it's own paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, it might cause a problem. I have copied a line aswell but it's not from a personal statement. It was just a comment left on a forum called student doctor that I thought would be guide good to use. I don't think it will cause me a problem because the personal statements only get checked against previous personal statements and sample personal statements.

Also, I think this copy catch system has flaws in it. Lots of people will use similar lines as each other in personal statements. That dosen't mean they are cheating??
    I think it's fairly easy to differentiate between coincidental phrasings and out and out plagiarism (and I would imagine that the benefit of the doubt is always given to the student).

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it really difficult to cut my personal statement down, as it is way over the word limit. Does anyone have any tips? Starting to panic now. Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I think it's fairly easy to differentiate between coincidental phrasings and out and out plagiarism (and I would imagine that the benefit of the doubt is always given to the student).
    That's good to hear Prefer yesterday's avatar :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    I'm finding it really difficult to cut my personal statement down, as it is way over the word limit. Does anyone have any tips? Starting to panic now. Help!!!
    yeh i had this porblem.. but managed to cut it down by 2000 characters and not change the content much! some tips...

- cut out any pointless stuff. like stuff thats not really saying anything about you, keep things concise.
    - shorten those long, overly fussy sentances and make them more readable and concise
    - instead of saying e.g. "i have done", say "i did"
    - replace joining words with semi colons... but dont overdo this!
    - join two long sentances together to make one shorter one
    - cut down on adjective and stuff

with mine i had to cut out some of the extra curriculars i mentions so to give room for some reflection on them.. just work out which ones say the most about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Just get rid of introductions to sentences. For example:

"In order to develop myself in non-academic areas I have.." to "In my spare time..."

ReputationRep:
    Last question hopefully. How do you use semi-colons accurately? I've used them to seperate a sentence from a phrase which further expands on the sentece e.g. I learnt to meet deadlines; useful for studying medicine. I've also used them in the following way e.g. Doctors have to balance a lot of responsibilities; care of patients, paperwork etc. They're not actual sentences from my PS but is the punctuation correct?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.