Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Personal Statements: Advice and Questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guy, how do i attach a word file in a post in the PS help forum? Need my PS examined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    Guy, how do i attach a word file in a post in the PS help forum? Need my PS examined
    Don't try to attach it as a word file (no-one would review it in that format), just copy and paste the text into a post/new thread

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, exactly how does the plagarism system work? What does it mean by similar sentence structure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Don't try to attach it as a word file (no-one would review it in that format), just copy and paste the text into a post/new thread
    Done. Would you mind taking a look too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    Done. Would you mind taking a look too?
    There are currently about 40 first drafts waiting to be looked at so the average wait at the moment for a review is 3-5 days so I can't have a look right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I've seen some people say yes to putting medicine with a capital and some no in response to that question, does anyone know for sure if you do or not? does it even make a difference which way you do it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by apple100)
    Hi so I've seen some people say yes to putting medicine with a capital and some no in response to that question, does anyone know for sure if you do or not? does it even make a difference which way you do it?
    No unless its the start of a sentence.

Would you put "chemistry" with a capital C in mid sentence? NO.

Same applies to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)

For some reason, my teacher insists medicine does not require a capital but the subjects do

ReputationRep:

Okay thanks, but every time I have changed it my teachers keep changing it to with a capital! lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have a question, I am modifying my horrific personal statement from last year with the help of one of my college lecturers and he wants me to put something in that I am not sure about.

Basically he wants to mention that "i declined an offer of Pharmacy last year to reapply for medicine" and that "achieving AAAA at A-level proves that I am academically capable of studying most courses in the country and it is medicine that I want to do"

However I don't know whether or not to include this because my A-levels are already in my UCAS form in the grades section :/, also I don't want to sound like I am being arrogant to universities by essentially saying "you were wrong reject me".

I know where I stand just wondering if it is just me that feels this way or do you guys agree with my tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedystef)
    Hi guys, I have a question, I am modifying my horrific personal statement from last year with the help of one of my college lecturers and he wants me to put something in that I am not sure about.

Basically he wants to mention that "i declined an offer of Pharmacy last year to reapply for medicine" and that "achieving AAAA at A-level proves that I am academically capable of studying most courses in the country and it is medicine that I want to do"

However I don't know whether or not to include this because my A-levels are already in my UCAS form in the grades section :/, also I don't want to sound like I am being arrogant to universities by essentially saying "you were wrong reject me".

I know where I stand just wondering if it is just me that feels this way or do you guys agree with my tutor?
    Don't include it. There are so many more important things you could put in!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Not really necessary as you have 4As, they know damn well you could pick any other degree you wanted but the fact that you have taken a gap year and reapplied, displays that very well.

Don't state the obvious or things which can be deduced from other areas of your application.

Unless you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Vas , and well done I see you scored well on your UKCAT today, where you thinking of applying?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cheers Vas , and well done I see you scored well on your UKCAT today, where you thinking of applying?
    I'm a Re-taker, so Keele, PMS, BSMS, Soton/Kings (these are also the ONLY places is can apply)

you?

ReputationRep:
    Woah they are the only places you can apply , I am thinking of applying to Barts, Cardiff, Manchester and Liverpool/Kings, I was rejected from everywhere I applied last year without interview so I am dreading this process
    Best of luck for your application though!

ReputationRep:
    Having a slight problem entering my PS into the Apply system. On Word it seems to count it as under the character limit, but when I copy it into the apply, it says I am over the character limit. Gone through and looked at the spaces, and still can't work out what's wrong
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Having a slight problem entering my PS into the Apply system. On Word it seems to count it as under the character limit, but when I copy it into the apply, it says I am over the character limit. Gone through and looked at the spaces, and still can't work out what's wrong
    Every time you use the enter button on word, it is not counted by word, but UCAS counts that as two characters, you cant get around it.

This is because UCAS enters a space and a line break, when you use enter where word does not count it.

ReputationRep:
    Every time you use the enter button on word, it is not counted by word, but UCAS counts that as two characters, you cant get around it.

This is because UCAS enters a space and a line break, when you use enter where word does not count it.
    Thanks, that makes. At least it's only a few characters to cut down. Getting close to finishing my application :woo: You seem well-informed about the whole process, so could you help answeing this question?

Do I need to enter my AS units into the first three units of A-level or should I just leave them all as pending?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Thanks, that makes. At least it's only a few characters to cut down. Getting close to finishing my application :woo: You seem well-informed about the whole process, so could you help answeing this question?

Do I need to enter my AS units into the first three units of A-level or should I just leave them all as pending?
    If you want to declare your AS results, enter them as AS Levels, and the overall grade.

Then if you are not retaking the AS units and they will go towards your full A Level then enter the modules into the first 3. Any you are retaking put as pending.

That way you will have your AS results and your A2 Predictions.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to declare your AS results, enter them as AS Levels, and the overall grade.

Then if you are not retaking the AS units and they will go towards your full A Level then enter the modules into the first 3. Any you are retaking put as pending.

That way you will have your AS results and your A2 Predictions.
    Do I need to enter in the name of the A2 units, or just leave them as pending?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.