Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Do I need to enter in the name of the A2 units, or just leave them as pending?
    It makes no differnce, if you know what they are called you can enter them, but as you have yet to take the exam dont enter them at all.
    Just the AS ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Nope, it shouldn't. Likewise with subjects.

Rather annoying as I had to go back through my PS and change all of it to lowercase, as a habit of mine when writing is to capitalise certain words like Science.

How about now? :teeth:
    hmm tough choice, but still prefer the other one :p: Where is your archive of cool avatars? I need to steal one :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else struggling with their introduction :erm:
    its seems to sooo hard to get it to stand out. Any tips on what to include anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    is anyone else struggling with their introduction
    its seems to sooo hard to get it to stand out. Any tips on what to include anyone?
    it might be quite cringey, but i went back to the moment when I thought..'thats what I want to do' and just started there if you get me. Was it a situation? event? it might be hard, but after a while it came to me when I really began to be interested in doing medicine.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    it might be quite cringey, but i went back to the moment when I thought..'thats what I want to do' and just started there if you get me. Was it a situation? event? it might be hard, but after a while it came to me when I really began to be interested in doing medicine.
    xxx
    :p: thanks. For me it wasn't a stand out event but just generally i wanted to do medicine, plus the fact my grandmum wanted me to be a doctor
    I think im gonna go with your suggestion and just hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    This sounds really stupid, but I've repeated the word medicine too many times in my Personal statement. Probably need to change a few of them to this career, or so on. Anyone got any good phrases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Ah I see. No I will stick to my House avatars. I am just wandering where you are getting them. I wish I had more time to play Fallout
    I shall not be using my Xbox for a while, so I'm playing on Fallout a fair bit this week so I won't start craving it. :p: It's a good game.

This sounds really stupid, but I've repeated the word medicine too many times in my Personal statement. Probably need to change a few of them to this career, or so on. Anyone got any good phrases?
    'A career pursuing the wellness of humans in a medical context' sounds pretty dandy. :holmes:

But seriously, they're not going to mind if you put medicine several times. Better that than be ambiguous about what you're talking about.

(Original post by RoadWarrior)
    hmm tough choice, but still prefer the other one :p: Where is your archive of cool avatars? I need to steal one :ninja:
    Google images is a rather splendid archive. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I shall not be using my Xbox for a while, so I'm playing on Fallout a fair bit this week so I won't start craving it. :p: It's a good game.

'A career pursuing the wellness of humans in a medical context' sounds pretty dandy. :holmes:

But seriously, they're not going to mind if you put medicine several times. Better that than be ambiguous about what you're talking about.

Google images is a rather splendid archive. :beard:
    I love that sentence but it'll put me over the word limit. :mad: It's just that the word medicine is at the end of one paragraph, and then at the start of the next and so on, so it's become repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my personal statement to the helpers a while ago but I think I did it at a bad time.

I submitted it quite a bit over the word limit and it's changed so much over the past week or two.

Would it still be eligible to be viewed if I resubmit it? Should I post it in the same thread or make a new one?

ReputationRep:
    OK! So I really need some advice!

Everyone who reads my personal statement says its too professional, and needs to seem like a student talking. But thats just the way I write!

What do u people advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstar)
    OK! So I really need some advice!

Everyone who reads my personal statement says its too professional, and needs to seem like a student talking. But thats just the way I write!

What do u people advise?
    Don't dumb it down if it's the way you are. Better for you to be happy with it than compromise yourself for some preconceived idea of what someone wants to be.

I love that sentence but it'll put me over the word limit. :mad:
    Really? I was being flippant.

(Original post by RollerBall)
    I submitted my personal statement to the helpers a while ago but I think I did it at a bad time.

I submitted it quite a bit over the word limit and it's changed so much over the past week or two.

Would it still be eligible to be viewed if I resubmit it? Should I post it in the same thread or make a new one?
    I'd post it in the same thread, but maybe edit the thread title to let them know that it's still a first draft, albeit a much changed one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit worried that most people who apply to medicine have wanted to be doctors since they were small children and I have only decided on the career in the last year or so. Do you think I should put on my personal statement that I wanted to be a missionary as a child because it shows that I have always wanted to help people, just not necessarily by being a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I need to ambush my old chemistry tomorrow to look over my statement. I also need his expertise, as I've written about Coronary Heart Disease and I want to somehow link this to biochemistry.
    My statement seems so formulaic and dull, I need to some how make it a bit more funky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasmith3)
    I'm a bit worried that most people who apply to medicine have wanted to be doctors since they were small children and I have only decided on the career in the last year or so. Do you think I should put on my personal statement that I wanted to be a missionary as a child because it shows that I have always wanted to help people, just not necessarily by being a doctor.
    Just be honest with your reasons for wanting to do medicine. Not everyone has wanted to do it all their life so you do not need to try and demonstrate an interest in caring from a young age.

ReputationRep:

I'd post it in the same thread, but maybe edit the thread title to let them know that it's still a first draft, albeit a much changed one.
    Will do, what could I change it to though? "Medical PS redone"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    thanks. For me it wasn't a stand out event but just generally i wanted to do medicine, plus the fact my grandmum wanted me to be a doctor
    I think im gonna go with your suggestion and just hope for the best
    careful with the 'my grandma wanted me to be a doctor'!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Just over a quarter of my whole personal statement is extra-curricular. Is that too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Will do, what could I change it to though? "Medical PS redone"?
    Medical PS - Changed but still first draft?

Just something which lets them still be aware to look at it, even though it will have one reply next to it.

ReputationRep:
    Just over a quarter of my whole personal statement is extra-curricular. Is that too much?
    Mine is about 1/8th :awesome: Go for whatever balance you feel happy with, but I wanted mine to be mostly about medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just managed to cut down my PS to within limit -- but now it takes the whole 47 lines without paces between paragraphs -- is that really much of a problem? will it put me at a disadvantage?
    Thanks

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2009

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.