Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    :coma:

"Upon entering the building, my gaze fell upon the following scene;"

If I was applying again I would so write my PS as a short story. I figure it'd be pretty easy to pull off - start by talking about your passions and inspirations, walk through your work experience and end with something like "And so here I am, hitting stroke after stroke on a keyboard, illuminated only by a flickering streetlight, and all the while wondering how I will be perceived by those who matter. If you're reading this, you quite literally have my fate, as well as my recent life story, in your hands."

It would be so awesome.
    That would be so much easier (and fun) that this rubbish :yep:

My work experience paragraph: "I peered down through the glass into the operating theatre - so close and yet so far. The surgeon set to work, slicing through the skin with an effortless flick of his wrist and removing the rib with a loud crack. As he advanced through the contents of this man's chest, the regular beat of the machine was replaced by a shrill bleeping..."

Who's next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    That would be so much easier (and fun) that this rubbish :yep:

My work experience paragraph: "I peered down through the glass into the operating theatre - so close and yet so far. The surgeon set to work, slicing through the skin with an effortless flick of his wrist and removing the rib with a loud crack. As he advanced through the contents of this man's chest, the regular beat of the machine was replaced by a shrill bleeping..."

Who's next?
    Awesome stuff. :yy:

"I sat on my bed, surrounded by crossed out phone numbers and rolled up bits of paper, with a single tear rolling slowly down my cheek. Would nowhere want me for work experience? At the moment of my ultimate despair, a foul wind blew from the north, gusting through the open window, catching the pages of the phone book as if they were no more than plastic bags in the breeze. Through tear filled eyes I gazed down, and then double took in shock - could this really be another general practice, one which I had not encountered before? I had one more chance still remaining.

I believe this shows my commitment to medicine".

ReputationRep:
    Awesome stuff. :yy:

"I sat on my bed, surrounded by crossed out phone numbers and rolled up bits of paper, with a single tear rolling slowly down my cheek. Would nowhere want me for work experience? At the moment of my ultimate despair, a foul wind blew from the north, gusting through the open window, catching the pages of the phone book as if they were no more than plastic bags in the breeze. Through tear filled eyes I gazed down, and then double took in shock - could this really be another general practice, one which I had not encountered before? I had one more chance still remaining.

I believe this shows my commitment to medicine".
    :woo:

"I entered the test room, catching a glimpse of another potential medic, eye wide open, staring at the shapes on the screen. As he twisted his head into more and more impossible positions, I resisted the temptation to stop and have a look. I sat down and braced myself for an hour and half of mental torture. As the test progressed, I could see the person next to me getting increasingly alarmed at my growling and various mutterings.

I pulled the sweaty shirt away from my skin as I exited the room, walking towards the man behind the desk. He reached down to the printer, glanced at me, read my results and said "You didn't do so bad, did you?" I leaned forward and grabbed the sheet, before swearing in glee and dancing out the building."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    the verb is about 3 words from being the last word (i probably over-exaggerated a little opps).

and Phalanges i dont think my head of sixth form would let me send it off with 'Espied' but i might do it just to see what he says

edit: new question:
    do i need to say how being 'chairman of the Student council' has developed my leadership skills or can i just say that it has done?
    That kind of depends on where you're applying as some places say that you only need to show evidence of certain skills so just talking about being chairman is fine. However, other places (Bristol I know for sure) specifically say to talk about skills gained
    from Bristol

We are also interested to hear about your wide-ranging extra-curricular activities, and general interests, especially where this provides evidence of collaborative engagement with the wider community. How do you contribute to your school or community? Do you have any positions of responsibility? Have you done any voluntary or paid work? What do you do to relax? Why do you enjoy your interests and hobbies, and how long have you pursued them? Have you achieved any outside recognition (e.g., awards, certificates, etc.)? You should explain what skills you have gained, rather than simply enumerating your activities. It is essential that you are able to communicate, empathise, and work well with others. We are not concerned with exactly what you do in your spare time, but want to know that you use your spare time to your best advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Help help help.

Is it worth talking about having a part-time job, in the terms of dealing with the public and what-not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    That kind of depends on where you're applying as some places say that you only need to show evidence of certain skills so just talking about being chairman is fine. However, other places (Bristol I know for sure) specifically say to talk about skills gained
    from Bristol

We are also interested to hear about your wide-ranging extra-curricular activities, and general interests, especially where this provides evidence of collaborative engagement with the wider community. How do you contribute to your school or community? Do you have any positions of responsibility? Have you done any voluntary or paid work? What do you do to relax? Why do you enjoy your interests and hobbies, and how long have you pursued them? Have you achieved any outside recognition (e.g., awards, certificates, etc.)? You should explain what skills you have gained, rather than simply enumerating your activities. It is essential that you are able to communicate, empathise, and work well with others. We are not concerned with exactly what you do in your spare time, but want to know that you use your spare time to your best advantage.
    Thanks! That was really useful.
    Do you have more Bristol info (official stuff) about PS/Work experience etc? I've read the admissions policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    from Bristol

thanks Hygeia. have you by any chance started to gather information for your exceedingly useful information about each unis specific application related desires for Leeds yet?

ReputationRep:
    I work in an elderly mentally infirm nursing home. I am trying to cut out words/characters to shorten my statement. Can i just assume that the person reading my statement will have some medical knowledge and thus from the start of my statement i can just say EMI nursing home as opposed to typing it out in full for at least one time? Thanks guys and girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparko13)
    I work in an elderly mentally infirm nursing home. I am trying to cut out words/characters to shorten my statement. Can i just assume that the person reading my statement will have some medical knowledge and thus from the start of my statement i can just say EMI nursing home as opposed to typing it out in full for at least one time? Thanks guys and girls.
    Type it out once with EMI in brackets then you can get away with using the acronym. The only reason I know what EMI means is from someone having done this in their PS - I wouldn't know what it means otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    thanks Hygeia. have you by any chance started to gather information for your exceedingly useful information about each unis specific application related desires for Leeds yet?
    here's what I've found from Leeds
    and some comments on references that you might like to pass on to your referee

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

"I entered the test room, catching a glimpse of another potential medic, eye wide open, staring at the shapes on the screen. As he twisted his head into more and more impossible positions, I resisted the temptation to stop and have a look. I sat down and braced myself for an hour and half of mental torture. As the test progressed, I could see the person next to me getting increasingly alarmed at my growling and various mutterings.

I pulled the sweaty shirt away from my skin as I exited the room, walking towards the man behind the desk. He reached down to the printer, glanced at me, read my results and said "You didn't do so bad, did you?" I leaned forward and grabbed the sheet, before swearing in glee and dancing out the building."
    This idea could possibly have been the greatest thing ever.

What's the betting someone steals it for theirs? :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    you really are amazing thankyou.

a new question: Leeds give the 'Tip' of providing information about the duration of the work experience. ive said that i organsied a week of shadowing consulatants but do you think i should also say how long my voluntary work at a hospital was? i was pretty sure that the advice that most people give is not to say how long it was for but as Leeds is my first choice should i say how long i volunteered for?
    I think if its for quite a long time (i.e. over a month ish) then you should say, as it shows commitment.

ReputationRep:
    got back my PS from a senior sixth form teacher and she said it was 'too caring' and I need to say more about ethics/stuff I have read etc. Also more on my work experience!
    I need it in by friday!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    got back my PS from a senior sixth form teacher and she said it was 'too caring' and I need to say more about ethics/stuff I have read etc. Also more on my work experience!
    I need it in by friday!!!
    What's your balance between your "caring" volunteer work and work experience now?

ReputationRep:
    I included a few examples of things that happened at my work experience to make my PS a bit more personal but I got it back from my sixth form mentor guy today and he's crossed it all out. I personally liked this bit in my statement but i'm not sure about it anymore. So frustrating :P

ReputationRep:
    This idea could possibly have been the greatest thing ever.

What's the betting someone steals it for theirs? :dry:
    I don't mind if someone steals it as long as they tell me how it goes :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elho)
    I included a few examples of things that happened at my work experience to make my PS a bit more personal but I got it back from my sixth form mentor guy today and he's crossed it all out. I personally liked this bit in my statement but i'm not sure about it anymore. So frustrating :P
    He's given you advice, not telling you what to do :p: If you want it, keep it...If it makes it stand out from the crowd, its a good thing

ReputationRep:
    He's given you advice, not telling you what to do :p: If you want it, keep it...If it makes it stand out from the crowd, its a good thing
    Lol the way he said it didn't seem like advice I just don't know if he thinks it can be something I can talk about in interview rather than mention it briefly in the statement but i feel without it I'm just saying I learnt things from the experience without backing it up with examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    What's your balance between your "caring" volunteer work and work experience now?
    I think she meant what comes across is caring. I need a bit more. I don't think she meant my work experience. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elho)
    Lol the way he said it didn't seem like advice I just don't know if he thinks it can be something I can talk about in interview rather than mention it briefly in the statement but i feel without it I'm just saying I learnt things from the experience without backing it up with examples.
    I don't back up everything with examples because it would take up a lot of space and I felt it could be better used with other things, especially 'cause I was over 1000 characters over the limit. If you feel that adds a lot to your PS, you should keep it, because it is meant to be personal, and sometimes, people tend to lose sight of that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.