Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elho)
    I included a few examples of things that happened at my work experience to make my PS a bit more personal but I got it back from my sixth form mentor guy today and he's crossed it all out. I personally liked this bit in my statement but i'm not sure about it anymore. So frustrating :P
    I see your applying to glasgow. Do you know how they use the UKCAT?
    what did you get?
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    I see your applying to glasgow. Do you know how they use the UKCAT?
    what did you get?
    xxx
    Yeah, on the open day they said they just use as a ranking thing along with academic and personal statement stuff. I don't think they are strict on it.
    I got average of 680 xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    I don't back up everything with examples because it would take up a lot of space and I felt it could be better used with other things, especially 'cause I was over 1000 characters over the limit. If you feel that adds a lot to your PS, you should keep it, because it is meant to be personal, and sometimes, people tend to lose sight of that.
    Yeah, well i can see why you cut some out! He's just cut out all of it though! I think I'll go for a compromise with him and put some of it in. I just don't want it to be too impersonal. Thanks for the advice
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elho)
    Yeah, well i can see why you cut some out! He's just cut out all of it though! I think I'll go for a compromise with him and put some of it in. I just don't want it to be too impersonal. Thanks for the advice
    :p:
    I agree, no worries

ReputationRep:
    hiya quick question, I've nearly finished with the final draft of my personal statement but I have a problem. One of my extracurricular hobbies was my art, however i have decided to take art as an extra a-level to show I'm officially not just academic (several students have done it by picking their 3rd a-level as something other then maths or one of the sciences). Could i still write about it in the extra curricular section because its really helped me develop a lot, in terms of building up patience etc. Or would it not be seen an an extra curricular to the administrators because I'm also taking it as an a-level subject. (e.g what about those who take the a-level i.t but write about how they love developing their skills on computers in the extracurricular section, i've seen it in another thread).

the subjects i take are
    maths
    biology
    chemistry
    physics
    art

(i really wanted to keep both maths and physics as both help each other in my opinion especially now i've started mechanics).

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice about my personal statement for Medicine.I suffered with anorexia from the age of 14-16 and spent a while in hospital recovering. I missed years 10 and 11 of school due to this and took my GCSE's at college over one year, rather that the 2 years you get at school. I recovered from my eating disorder at the age of 16, but have had to work hard to keep myself healthy.

I am now applying to study Medicine and am considering talking about my previous eating disorder within my personal statement. I was going to explain that battling my eating disorder has made me a lot stronger within myself and most importantly that it has given me an insight into my strengths and weaknesses. I basically want to tell the universities that it has made me realise that it is not a weakness to ask for help and that I know my limitations in regards to stress and work load. I really believe that having not suffered the way I did at such as young age that I wouldn't be applying for Medicine and I would love to just be honest about why I really want to study Medicine.

I just thought i'd ask as to whether it is a good idea to mention this in my personal statement and whether or not it will help my application or hinder it?

Thankyou in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea, especially because it explains why you want to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cymraes..)
    I think it's a good idea, especially because it explains why you want to study medicine.
    I would like to talk about it, but i'm just concerned it will work against me in getting offered a place. Iknow it's a good idea to use personal reasons for choosing Medicine, but i'm just wondering how Med schools view talking about eating disorder in PS's.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it, it will make you stand out from the rest and give you genuine and a different approach to wanting a medical career! Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    I would like to talk about it, but i'm just concerned it will work against me in getting offered a place. Iknow it's a good idea to use personal reasons for choosing Medicine, but i'm just wondering how Med schools view talking about eating disorder in PS's.
    I agree :yep:

Alternatively you could do what I'm doing

I had similar problems that affected my GCSEs and I'm sending additional information in separately to the Universities I'm applying to (callt o check this is ok first) in the form of a letter form me outlining what happened and how it effected my education AND what I learnt from it. Also, a letter from my GP saying I'm not lying basically and also that I'm now completely well. And then a letter from my old secondary school saying that if I had taken my GCSEs as planned I would have got all A and A* grades

It's another option, but remember you're going to have to tell them at some point anyway, and its a good opportunity to put it in a very positive light

ReputationRep:
    A close family member has had a mental illness basically there whole life, I've seen how the family have struggled to understand her, been impatient etc. and how at times I have wanted to help but felt helpless in not knowing what to do/say?. Should I put it in?

ReputationRep:
    A close family member has had a mental illness basically there whole life, I've seen how the family have struggled to understand her, been impatient etc. and how at times I have wanted to help but felt helpless in not knowing what to do/say?. Should I put it in?
    It really is up to you. I know people who mentioned family members being ill. I personally didn't, and am not a fan of it. My grandfather has Alzheimer's disease. I chose not to as I felt it would seem like a plea for an offer, as it did not genuinely influence my decision to apply for medicine. However if it did influence your choice of medicine, then put it down.

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks. Should I mention medical issues/ethics? I handed my PS to a teacher today and she do put something on this or something I'd read. I hadn't planned on but is it good to?

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks. Should I mention medical issues/ethics? I handed my PS to a teacher today and she do put something on this or something I'd read. I hadn't planned on but is it good to?
    I mentioned no ethics at all in my PS nor any issues, as current medical headlines can change frequently. However do put down what you see in your experience hint: write about how you seen it was important to have a good doctor-patient relationship, how it is important for team work in the medical field and to have good communication with patients

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    I mentioned no ethics at all in my PS nor any issues, as current medical headlines can change frequently. However do put down what you see in your experience hint: write about how you seen it was important to have a good doctor-patient relationship, how it is important for team work in the medical field and to have good communication with patients
    thats what I have done. I think I need to expand on my experiences etc. I would submit it to PS helpers but I have to hand it in on friday and doubt it will be checked in time as apparently its very busy at the moment!!

ReputationRep:
    thats what I have done. I think I need to expand on my experiences etc. I would submit it to PS helpers but I have to hand it in on friday and doubt it will be checked in time as apparently its very busy at the moment!!
    I know its very busy. Most of us are at uni again and don't have time to properly check a PS. Anyone on this here is mostly likely on whilst doing work. You could always submit it and work on it anyways, and if they reply then lucky you :p:

ReputationRep:
    You can write about it as an extra-curricular if you genuinely do it as one - just make it clear that it's outside the classroom or whatever.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This^^

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, I reckon you should focus more on your other extracurriculars, rather than talk about A Levels. I know that you've done it outside of your other ones but admissions tutors could mistake it for yet another persona blabbing on about their A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Just adding the finishing touches to my ps. However, I have noticed I have not really wrote about the academic side of medicine. My Ps is mainly about empathy, caring side of medicine. I have also wrote a lot skills.... Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.