Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Usually you can leave your academic achievements to your tutor to mention in your reference Just let him/her know, I'm sure they'll be glad to put it in for you
    Thanks! Positive feedback at last! And can I ask for your opinion, do you think Id have much chance due to my lack of work experience? Ive tried for months and they just wont take me on.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a medical school and spent a day trying out PBL. I dont really have room on the PS but on the UCAS form there is something like activities for higher education. I could put it there but I dont have the option to say what I did etc. Should I bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtina!!)
    Thanks! Positive feedback at last! And can I ask for your opinion, do you think Id have much chance due to my lack of work experience? Ive tried for months and they just wont take me on.
    I can't say for sure, but I do seem to recall reading in some prospectuses that the universities did understand that work experience can sometimes be hard to get, and that they would accept voluntary work in a caring environment as a suitable substitute.

For example, from Southampton:

have learnt from your experiences of interacting with people in health or social care settings – this may draw on what you have learnt from your own life experiences (e.g. friends and family), or more formalised activity (e.g. paid or voluntary work, or work shadowing)
    ..and then some who have straight out said that all work experience has to be done before the application is made. It's best to check the university prospectuses They should help you out.

If possible though I'd somehow let them know that you had difficulties in obtaining a placement (although I'm not sure how exactly to mention this) and definitely let them know that you have it planned - and also what you hope to gain from it.

Like you said earlier, despite the fact that you won't have done that bit of work experience yet, you can still draw from your hospital experience that you've had so far.

I sincerely hope everything works out for you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice! Ive been involved in a lot of fundraising events and I have voluntary work done. Im also going to get work experience at my local vets which is definately a guarantee. They wouldnt take me on during the summer due to insurance reasons. Im doing this because its medical related and I am interested in this area of medicine, although obviously Im not applying to vet med. Would this be too irrelevant as this is a completely different sector?

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HElp!!

Do i need to include a paragraph on my a level subjects and why i enjoy them and maybe mention something about me enjoying the learning and improving from GCSE ---> AS??
    Im not applying to Oxbridge by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I know I shouldnt lie, but seriously this is my last chance to get into medicine. Im already repeating for personal reasons. Ive been so unlucky so far and I really need to get into medicine. I want to increase my chances by as much as I can. Due to my circumstances I think it is quite understandable why I feel the need to lie. But Im sure my local practise will take me on, even if it is only for a day. So would it be ok? I wont describe anything specific, but Ill just say want I have learned (well, what I hope to learn). Do ye think that would be ok?
    At the end of the day, from what ye have said I probably wont. I have done a lot of volunteer work, and I visited the a department at my local hospital, but this was only for a day. Do ye think this will be enough? GPS and the hospitals wont take me on under any circumstances due to confidentiality, so I really am stuck. I really need some words of support. Would they even consider me due to my lack of experience?
    You keep asking people to tell you its ok to lie. It isn't. It is possible you'll get away with it? Yes. They are not the same question. You don't need to get into medicine, it's not a right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    You keep asking people to tell you its ok to lie. It isn't. It is possible you'll get away with it? Yes. They are not the same question. You don't need to get into medicine, it's not a right.
    Unless you havent read one of my edited posts but I have already stated that I have decided not to lie (and anyway it wasnt intended to be a lie in that Ive just made it up on the spot and never intend to actually try to get that work experience, it was just me asking to see if I could talk about something as if it is in the past as opposed to the future), case closed. I know its not ok to lie, and thats why I have decided against it. I was just worried about my level of experience, and Im sure like many others.
    And it is more of a personal 'need', not the best word to describe what Im trying to say I know.

ReputationRep:
    and anyway it wasnt intended to be a lie in that Ive just made it up on the spot and never intend to actually try to get that work experience, it was just me asking to see if I could talk about something as if it is in the past as opposed to the future
    I feel to see the tangible (and excusable) difference between making up a set of events and deliberately misleading someone. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    PLEASE HElp!!

Do i need to include a paragraph on my a level subjects and why i enjoy them and maybe mention something about me enjoying the learning and improving from GCSE ---> AS??
    Im not applying to Oxbridge by the way.
    I don't think elaborating on your A-Level subjects would add much to your Personal Statement. You need to use the valuable space for other things like your WE/Voluntary work/etc.

How much did you actually "improve" from GCSE to AS?

ReputationRep:
    That's a little subjective and anyway since your applying to medicine arent you expeected to cope with the jump from GCSE --> AS ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think elaborating on your A-Level subjects would add much to your Personal Statement. You need to use the valuable space for other things like your WE/Voluntary work/etc.

Thanks for the relpy
    Won't a lot of people write about their subjects, so my PS might look bad without it :confused:
    And i went from 2A* at GCSE --> AAAB at AS. Not amazing but i did put in loads more work for the AS's.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the relpy
    Won't a lot of people write about their subjects, so my PS might look bad without it
    And i went from 2A* at GCSE --> AAAB at AS. Not amazing but i did put in loads more work for the AS's.
    A lot of people do write about their subjects, but usually write very similar things for each so it's advisable to use the space for other purposes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    A lot of people do write about their subjects, but usually write very similar things for each so it's advisable to use the space for other purposes
    Oh right that's what i was unsure about. I guess i'll just have to leave it out then

Spoiler:
    Show
    You are so helpful :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Im sure this has been answered before but i couldn't find the answer.

Should i capitalise biology and chemistry A levels in the middle of a sentence?

ReputationRep:
    Im sure this has been answered before but i couldn't find the answer.

Should i capitalise biology and chemistry A levels in the middle of a sentence?
    nope, you definitely shouldn't where you're just talking about biology/chemistry in general (unless it's in the form 'A Level Biology' in which case it should be)

ReputationRep:
    I know this shouldn't go here, but it's a really quick question:

In the UCAS form, there's a section for "Activities in preparation for higher education". Should I put down any medicine experience days I've gone on?

ReputationRep:
    nope, you definitely shouldn't where you're just talking about biology/chemistry in general (unless it's in the form 'A Level Biology' in which case it should be)
    "...is similar to my practical tasks in biology and chemistry A level studies."

So i think the answer is no, right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "...is similar to my practical tasks in biology and chemistry A level studies."

So i think the answer is no, right?
    I'd say no for that one.

(Original post by RoadWarrior)
    I know this shouldn't go here, but it's a really quick question:

In the UCAS form, there's a section for "Activities in preparation for higher education". Should I put down any medicine experience days I've gone on?
    :yep: If you want to include them, that would be the best place to do so.

ReputationRep:
    :yep: If you want to include them, that would be the best place to do so.
    Thanks and thanks for looking at my PS too Bit of a shock considering that everyone else said it was good, but at least I can change it now :yep:

Also, my friend seems sure that you're meant to put down what open days you've attended in that section, but that seems pretty pointless to me :dontknow: Any point doing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    Also, my friend seems sure that you're meant to put down what open days you've attended in that section, but that seems pretty pointless to me :dontknow: Any point doing that?
    Doubt it would matter, really..

I'm sure you can weave it into your interview somehow though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.