The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

medstar
I was wondering: Is it:

I look forward to studying psycology and have an interest in paediatrics OR

I look forward to studying Psycology and have an interest in Paediatrics

In other words, which need capitals and which don't? (this is just an example sentence) :biggrin:

Neither need capitals, but psychology needs a h.
Reply 861
do some uni's want to know about why you took particular a-levels? My PS is exactly 4000 characters and 47 Lines so i can't really add anything else :s-smilie:
-UNKNOWN
do some uni's want to know about why you took particular a-levels? My PS is exactly 4000 characters and 47 Lines so i can't really add anything else :s-smilie:

Apparently many people mention their a-level subjects and why they took them, but it's hard to spin it in a way they haven't heard before.

I didn't myself, and most people agree that there are much better things you can mention in your PS :smile:
Reply 863
LetoKynes
Apparently many people mention their a-level subjects and why they took them, but it's hard to spin it in a way they haven't heard before.

I didn't myself, and most people agree that there are much better things you can mention in your PS :smile:

yeah thats what i think aswell but do certain unis prefer you to mention your a-level choices?
-UNKNOWN
yeah thats what i think aswell but do certain unis prefer you to mention your a-level choices?

I guess it varies from university to university.. they could ask you about it at interview if they wanted to though.
Reply 865
do you think being an army paramedic is considered good work experience?
Isaacchan
do you think being an army paramedic is considered good work experience?

If you think you gained anything from it then of course it is :wink:

Were you put under time pressure (eg. injuries that had to be treated immediately) ?
Reply 867
LetoKynes
If you think you gained anything from it then of course it is :wink:

Were you put under time pressure (eg. injuries that had to be treated immediately) ?

not yet. haha
hya i was just wondering, I take 5 a-levels, maths, biology, chemistry, physics and fine art. however my art is aslo a very deep extra curricular activity and always has been, am i not allowed to talk about it in terms of it being an extra curricluar, because i take it as an a-level subject ?
What do you write in the conclusion? I have wrote one but it just seems waffling and a bit disjointed.
CHILLIN-DRAGON
hya i was just wondering, I take 5 a-levels, maths, biology, chemistry, physics and fine art. however my art is aslo a very deep extra curricular activity and always has been, am i not allowed to talk about it in terms of it being an extra curricluar, because i take it as an a-level subject ?

You're very allowed to talk about it as an extracurricular! Just make sure you're clear about that :smile:

Why are you doing 5 A-Levels, by the way?

chelski786
What do you write in the conclusion? I have wrote one but it just seems waffling and a bit disjointed.

Basically you just want to finish off with your essay. Sum up your abilities. Seal the deal.

'TSR Wiki'
It needs to sum up why you want to be a doctor and why you're perfect for the career. It must not assume you're going to get into medical school- don’t be arrogant (e.g. 'I look forward to seeing you at interview.'), but sound confident. Don't suddenly bring in things if you've never mentioned them before, such as "I can cope with the stresses on a doctor" when throughout the statement you've never addressed them. Avoid the phrase 'ideal candidate' as each medical school will have a different idea of what this is. Don't refer to the university directly ('your university') as this comes across as very insincere considering you're applying to 4 or 5 universities.

It might take a while before you get the right string of words, but sit down and think about it for a while.

Why YOU?
Leave an impression. :smile:
Reply 871
Hi,
I am applying for medicine as a graduate. I am currently in my final year of my civil engineering degree.
So should I mention this in my personal statement?
Really finding it hard to bring it in, seen as its not science or medical related course. Possibly, could I mention that it is good from problem-solving, thinking logically perspective? Or would it be better not to mention it at all??
another one of these capital letters questions

is it

i spent a week witha health visitor or
i spent a week with a Health Visitor
Reply 873
appleboy786

is it

health visitor
appleboy786

is it

Is 'health visitor' a title?
Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if I've skimped a bit on my work xp paragraph and wrote too much extra currics and stuff.

Breakdown of charectors
494 on intro
648 on Work XP at a hosptial.
236 on Alternate work xp @ a lab
283 on subjects
842 on volenteer work
692 on extra curric
392 on paragraph about scientific interests
280 on outro

Do you think I should lengthen my outro, delete the subjects bit and add more about my work experience? My volenteer work seems a large paragraph but it's all relevent :s-smilie:
RollerBall
Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if I've skimped a bit on my work xp paragraph and wrote too much extra currics and stuff.

Breakdown of charectors
494 on intro
648 on Work XP at a hosptial.
236 on Alternate work xp @ a lab
283 on subjects
842 on volenteer work
692 on extra curric
392 on paragraph about scientific interests
280 on outro

Do you think I should lengthen my outro, delete the subjects bit and add more about my work experience? My volenteer work seems a large paragraph but it's all relevent :s-smilie:

1/6 of your PS is EC which is fine I think. I didn't write anything on my subjects, because everyone does the same ones anyway, so unless you stand out from the crowd, there's not much point - you can use the extra words much better to reflect on your work experience. If its relevant and you like it, keep it - after all, it's meant to be personal :smile:
RoadWarrior
1/6 of your PS is EC which is fine I think. I didn't write anything on my subjects, because everyone does the same ones anyway, so unless you stand out from the crowd, there's not much point - you can use the extra words much better to reflect on your work experience. If its relevant and you like it, keep it - after all, it's meant to be personal :smile:

I dislike my paragraph on my subjects but my tutors made me put it in. I think I'll remove it tomorrow and expand a bit on my work xp.
Hi.

My post-16 teacher says to talk about the scientific side of the work experience, and examples of things I actually learned?

Or should I just focus on what it has shown me to be a doctor?

Thanks
Reply 879
Chunkeymonkey62
Hi.

My post-16 teacher says to talk about the scientific side of the work experience, and examples of things I actually learned?

Or should I just focus on what it has shown me to be a doctor?

Thanks

Focus on what it's shown you rather than specific scientific things (which are what medical school is there for!)

Latest