Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is not having a coclusion a huge problem? My PS is 500 characters too long and there's nothing else that should be removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarletrose92)
    Is not having a coclusion a huge problem? My PS is 500 characters too long and there's nothing else that should be removed.
    I don't think it would look too good In my mind it would appear unfinished - like a story without an ending. It would be pretty odd if it stopped abruptly like that.

There's gotta be some waffle you could cut out :confused:

Maybe wait for opinions from the PS helpers

ReputationRep:
    No not really. Hardly anyone I know did a conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just wait for the PS helpers Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just wait for the PS helpers Thanks.

you could also ask a careers adviser in school about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    For my school monday
    ah, fair enough, you had me panicking though mine went off yesterday. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Are we meant to put paragraphs on the PS when we've uploaded it to UCAS?

How the heck do we even insert paragraphs? Everytime I add indentations and then save it, it just appears as a big chunk of writing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    Are we meant to put paragraphs on the PS when we've uploaded it to UCAS?

How the heck do we even insert paragraphs? Everytime I add indentations and then save it, it just appears as a big chunk of writing
    It's normal for the indentations to disappear

Some people leave a single line between each paragraph to make it easier to read. You have to make the choice yourself whether better legibility is worth cutting off some content

ReputationRep:
    Confidentiality issue:

There is a little orphan baby i raised money for her sugery.

Is it a violation of confidentiality if i mention her first name in my PS.
    it seems distant if i keep on saying 'that girl' and so many emotions are lost,

Do you thinnk it will make a difference if i mention a name.
    Obviously, the name has a significant meaning to me but maybe the Uni could care less about what her name is.

do you think it will come off bad if i mention any names (even first names)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    you could also ask a careers adviser in school about it.
    I dont have one.

ReputationRep:
    cut my personal statement down anymore!!!! 250 characters too long.

Any advice/tips? Or any (genuine) PS helper willing to take a look?

ReputationRep:
    cut irrelivent stuff out. its better to talk in depth about fewer things than list a load of things! unfortunatly if you do a hell of a lot (like me) you have to not include some things. keep the original stuff that not many people will have (e.g. i kept my sailing coaching but took out babysitting) and get your teacher to put the other stuff in your reference.
    try to shorten sentances, keep it brief and concise and dont go on about things.. this is what the inteview's for! try to say the same point with less words, and dont try to use complex syntax and vocab the whole time! do things like, instead of "I have done" say "I did".. etc etc. hope it goes well.. dont worry i had the same problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    cut irrelivent stuff out. its better to talk in depth about fewer things than list a load of things! unfortunatly if you do a hell of a lot (like me) you have to not include some things. keep the original stuff that not many people will have (e.g. i kept my sailing coaching but took out babysitting) and get your teacher to put the other stuff in your reference.
    try to shorten sentances, keep it brief and concise and dont go on about things.. this is what the inteview's for! try to say the same point with less words, and dont try to use complex syntax and vocab the whole time! do things like, instead of "I have done" say "I did".. etc etc. hope it goes well.. dont worry i had the same problem!
    Thanks, its just that already i've had to cut a lot of things out, and now i'm just confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Thanks, its just that already i've had to cut a lot of things out, and now i'm just confused.
    have you had your personal statement read by a teacher already they may ask you to remove something they don't think is needed which could save you space

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neomaster121)
    have you had your personal statement read by a teacher already they may ask you to remove something they don't think is needed which could save you space
    Yup had about 6 different teachers....some people from tsr helping me now :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Take out all 'also's'.... trust me, they are unnecesary.

also, (god im a hypocrite...) dont say 'i organised a week's work experience placement at st john the 3rds hospital in kazakstan shadowing doctors', instead a simple 'i experienced a week shadowing doctors' will suffice.

i'd be happy to take a look at your ps but to be honest im not a ps helper so i dont know how legal/ trustworthy that is. however, i am a bloody ruthless word-cutter-downer (ask my friends) if you have any particular sentences you want looking at!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorCli)
    Take out all 'also's'.... trust me, they are unnecesary.

also, (god im a hypocrite...) dont say 'i organised a week's work experience placement at st john the 3rds hospital in kazakstan shadowing doctors', instead a simple 'i experienced a week shadowing doctors' will suffice.

i'd be happy to take a look at your ps but to be honest im not a ps helper so i dont know how legal/ trustworthy that is. however, i am a bloody ruthless word-cutter-downer (ask my friends) if you have any particular sentences you want looking at!
    Thanks a lot, i;ve already sent it to two people on tsr not sure I should have but done now...

ReputationRep:
    I originally started off with a thousand characters over the limit! And now my statement stands at 3607 and 42 lines.

You're leaving it a bit late aren't you!

ReputationRep:
    Post in the PS forum. There are medics in there who will look through and cut what isnt needed.

ReputationRep:
    How important is an introduction? i can't seem to make mine not cheesy and chiche and i was told by various people that sometimes its best not to have one at all, just go straight into your work experience.

If I did that, mine would start with me talking about an OU course i was selected to do.
    So yeah. intro / no intro? Would it look lazy if I didn't have one or refreshing?

(I am panicking quite a bit due to the deadline being so close so if anyone could help i'll be so grateful!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.