Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2. should the writing style and syntax etc be really impressive? When reading past applicant's ones they seem to have made the writing style very complex and descriptive, wheras i feel i have written it slightly more simply and to the point, which is better?
    Only to a certain extent, too simple and it will be dull and may reflect badly on you but chill on the big words and mega paragraphs coz that will only piss off a rushed reader. dont be taken too much by suggestions of dumbing down ur PS. you can probably buffer some of the larger, more complex pieces with quick one line sentences etc, controlling the tempo can be very impressive. the worst thing that can happen wid the ps is that it is too dull, boring etc.

check out a thesaurus but be careful not to sound like 1 lol

ReputationRep:
    I really think my PS is kind of dull. Any tips to make it captivating? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Yeh im worried about that too! I changed the sentence structure a bit so there were less sentances starting with I have.. I have... etc etc. I got the thesaurus out too. Oh and finding slightly different things to say about what you noticed on your w/e is good, brings out a bit on individuality.

ReputationRep:
    Yh mine has got dull and formal when i got it reviewed in the ps help service. It was more like an epic story before. It feels like ive read my personal statement before i wrote it lol. The service is great though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    Yeh im worried about that too! I changed the sentence structure a bit so there were less sentances starting with I have.. I have... etc etc. I got the thesaurus out too. Oh and finding slightly different things to say about what you noticed on your w/e is good, brings out a bit on individuality.
    Ahh, I'm really panicking. My UCAS application is due tomorrow Talk about late notice.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I'm really panicking. My UCAS application is due tomorrow Talk about late notice.
    i dont see why some schools make some deadlines that really arent all that useful. admissions person at sheffield told me that they dont even start looking at PSes until they get them all in.

and im sure youre's is fine cape. how many people have you had it checked by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    i dont see why some schools make some deadlines that really arent all that useful. admissions person at sheffield told me that they dont even start looking at PSes until they get them all in.

and im sure youre's is fine cape. how many people have you had it checked by?
    It's just because there are so many potential medics in my school (thats their excuse). Friends and family have read it (but they're biased anyway :p: ) and one teacher...no other teachers have the time!

ReputationRep:
    It's just because there are so many potential medics in my school (thats their excuse). Friends and family have read it (but they're biased anyway :p: ) and one teacher...no other teachers have the time!
    Are you still in contact with any doctors you've shadowed? Get them to review it.

ReputationRep:
    For a lot of my work experience and voluntary work the skills and stuff I learnt is really similar. Which means I keep repeating myself. Any suggetions?

ReputationRep:
    indie_couture, maybe just mention one skill for one of them - if that makes sense. e.g. communication, just mention it for voluntary? And then something different for work exp.

Ok, I'm "ill" today, to do my PS. I didn't really want to put personal things in my PS (family dying of cancer) because it's kind of difficult to talk about. I'm beginning to think it's a good idea, otherwise they'd never know any personal reasons for why I want to do medicine.

So, as I was reading other people's PS they went into proper detail about how their family member died/collapsed. Could I just mention it briefly (i.e. one sentence) and how I felt and how it inspired me?

ReputationRep:
    Cape, is your language you used complex or simple. My is both but i want to make mine more concise. What types of things shall i cut out, such as names of practices e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, simple I think. My very first draft was complex and my teacher said it looked too pompus. Now I read everyone else's and I wonder why I took her advice. I've rewritten most of my PS this morning...just looking for someone to read it. Maybe submit yours to the PS Helpers, they can help you cut stuff out.

ReputationRep:
    indie_couture, maybe just mention one skill for one of them - if that makes sense. e.g. communication, just mention it for voluntary? And then something different for work exp.

Ok, I'm "ill" today, to do my PS. I didn't really want to put personal things in my PS (family dying of cancer) because it's kind of difficult to talk about. I'm beginning to think it's a good idea, otherwise they'd never know any personal reasons for why I want to do medicine.

So, as I was reading other people's PS they went into proper detail about how their family member died/collapsed. Could I just mention it briefly (i.e. one sentence) and how I felt and how it inspired me?
    Yes, I would if that did inspire you.

"I was inspired to study medicine due to the tragic.....this curiosity matured after I undertook..."

You get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I've written my PS (not quite finished), but when I tried to enter it into the UCAS PS section it said I had too many lines. So I took out the spaces between the paragraphs. The thing is, now it looks like one big, fat block of text. Stupid UCAS doesn't even let you indent.

I was thinking of using "-- " before every paragraph. I have enough characters to do so.. But it looks a little weird.

What would you think of:

Hello, my name is Munim. I want to do medicine because it's the most awesomest thing ever. So won't you let me in please!? I promise to behave and complete all my work on time. I swear to it on my own life. So how about it?
    -- I've been working for it for ages now. Look I'm even writing a fake PS! Just so I can get help on how to present the real thing to you. So please unis, don't make me suffer again this year. I don't want to do anything else.. So please, please, please, please let me in. I just can't live another year, not knowing that I am going to medical school.
    -- I'M DESPERATE!!! Let me in! =]
    So what do you think? Does it work? Or should I leave it looking like a block of text? I really don't know..

Please help!
    Thanks!

P.S. This is not what I wrote in my PS, in case anyone was wondering..:p:

ReputationRep:
    Block of text. So long as you have a new line where you want the start of your new paragraph, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Block of text. So long as you have a new line where you want the start of your new paragraph, it's fine.
    So you mean like this:

Hello, my name is Munim. I want to do medicine because it's the most awesomest thing ever. So won't you let me in please!? I promise to behave and complete all my work on time. I swear to it on my own life. So how about it?
    I've been working for it for ages now. Look I'm even writing a fake PS! Just so I can get help on how to present the real thing to you. So please unis, don't make me suffer again this year. I don't want to do anything else.. So please, please, please, please let me in. I just can't live another year, not knowing that I am going to medical school.
    I'M DESPERATE!!! Let me in! =]
    Thanks for the response by the way..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munim)
    So you mean like this:
    "Example PS"

Thanks for the response by the way..
    Yeh. They realise you haven't got space for inserting extra lines. So long as you have paragraphs and not a big mush, it's cool.

No worries, it beats actually reviewing the PS's in PS Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Yeh. They realise you haven't got space for inserting extra lines. So long as you have paragraphs and not a big mush, it's cool.

No worries, it beats actually reviewing the PS's in PS Help
    Haha! I felt sorry for the guys who reviewed mine.. I feel like posting them all chocolates.. Lol!

I do have paragraphs, but mine looks like a pile of mush. All my lines finish right at the end of the blooming page.. So it looks like I haven't used paragraphs at all! =[ That's why I was asking... Otherwise, I would have just did what you said to do.

I want to complain to UCAS for not letting us indent!!! *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this is supposed to go in one of those big threads, if it does.. then could a mod merge it for me please? *sweet smile*

Anyway.. I've shown my personal statement to like 6 + teachers and I've received quite a mixed response which has ranged from v. positive comments to comments which have basically implied ''not that good, just re-do it''.

Ofc, there can be an element of biasness, but I've tried my best to show it to teachers who are experienced and would not give a biased opinion.
    To medics / peeps who have received offers in the past.. were you ever in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smflesh)
    Apologies if this is supposed to go in one of those big threads, if it does.. then could a mod merge it for me please? *sweet smile*

Anyway.. I've shown my personal statement to like 6 + teachers and I've received quite a mixed response which has ranged from v. positive comments to comments which have basically implied ''not that good, just re-do it''.

Ofc, there can be an element of biasness, but I've tried my best to show it to teachers who are experienced and would not give a biased opinion.
    To medics / peeps who have received offers in the past.. were you ever in this situation?
    They should give more specific commentary than that. Everyone is different, and teachers are not medicine admissions tutors, so take their criticism, but do not feel you have to follow it if you disagree. There's a PS helper service on here and you can use if you have not done so.

The most effective thing I found was to get someone I did work experience with to look it over. I feel that made the most difference to my application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.