Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum's obsession with cleaning/washing/ironing watch

ReputationRep:
    I have always got on really well with my mum, she's my best friend, but recently her obsession with housework is getting me very very bad tempered. She will hoover twice a day, iron before the washing is completely dry otherwise she feels ill at the thought of having an ironing pile, she wakes me up with the hoover in the morning. Today, she asked me to hang out the washing whilse she was out..I did so, but she came home and had a go at me because the pegs weren't matched up and I had a blue peg with a red one (no joke). I like having a clean house, but mum's ocd is really getting to me. She knows she has a problem but refueses to accept she needs help. We don't go out as a family very often because she would rather stay in and clean.

Please, how can i get her help? She's making me want to move out of the house when she knows full well I can't afford to...

I dont see whats so ocd about hoovering often, or ironing...cause its nice to keep on top of housework, however the peg thing is a bit odd! Firstly try to speak to her, discuss worries- ask her if there is any other stress in her life right now, that maybe she's taking it out on the housework?

ReputationRep:
    Its ocd because she HAS to do it...if she leaves it for a day becasue its spotless, then she gets up at 3am to do it. I've spoken to her, asking her if there's anyhting worrying her but there isn't. I'm losing patience now.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it !
    Well, do your chore and then try not to show her that you are giving her attention when she does all that u know .. try to act cool and don't lose your temper.
    Try to find her motive behind all this would be a good idea aslo.

ReputationRep:
    I see your issue, the peg thing was a bit O.T.T - Why don't you get some leaflets and such about help she can get so she can read them at home in her own time, maybe she's worried about going to a doctor, because she thinks they'll judge her? It could probably be part of a further underlying problem (feeling lack of control or something?) Apart from that, you could contact a helpline, so you have someone to talk to, they may be able to offer some more advice.

(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    Its ocd because she HAS to do it...if she leaves it for a day becasue its spotless, then she gets up at 3am to do it. I've spoken to her, asking her if there's anyhting worrying her but there isn't. I'm losing patience now.
    well, i'm like this..I HAVE to do the dishes before bed or clean the toilet, otherwise there is no way i'd sleep, I don't have OCD though just don't want to keep on top of things

ReputationRep:
    She sounds pretty stressed. Does she work as well?

ReputationRep:
    Do some of the work she does for her and don't do the things that annoy her. If she likes to stay home, watch a movie together.

ReputationRep:
    according to A-level psychology, it's not OCD unless she recognises that her behaviour is unreasonable and excessive, and from what you said she hasn't, and tbh it doesn't sound that excessive...the peg thing is a bit off but i do things like that too, like i only use things in odd numbers cause i hate even numbers (when possible)

ReputationRep:
    She's said sheknows she has a problem but doesn't want help. And its not just keeping on top of things. She would rather stay in and clean than catch up with friends or see family. Its all she talks about.

I've tried helping but she stops me saying she has to have it done her own way (I try to do it 'her way' but she has a go at me).

She works from home monday-wednesday but only half days so she can do her housework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    She's said sheknows she has a problem but doesn't want help. And its not just keeping on top of things. She would rather stay in and clean than catch up with friends or see family. Its all she talks about.

I've tried helping but she stops me saying she has to have it done her own way (I try to do it 'her way' but she has a go at me).

She works from home monday-wednesday but only half days so she can do her housework.
    Don't help her then if all it does is annoy you both.

Get her friends to get in touch with her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.