Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a thread for anyone living in Kincaid's Court, starting in September 2009. I'm in block 1, flat 8, room 3 (just in case anyone was wondering). I'm guessing A Level students who sat their exams in May/June 2009 still won't have their offers of accomodation yet?

ReputationRep:
    Me! Flat 9 Room 3 - I don't think it told me a block...4 Kincaid's Court maybe?

There don't seem to be a lot of us around TSR at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    ___

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneddonand)
    Just googled Kincaid's Court, saw this post, and I thought I may as well join the forum.

I'm in Flat 8, Room 8, 4 Kinky Court.

Superb.

I know 4 others that are in Kincaid's too.
    Can't wait.
    20 days troops...

Facebook me if you want, Andrew Sneddon, Dunblane.

I imagine we'll be some description of neighbours, then? Interesting nickname for it, too...

What're you studying?

ReputationRep:
    ___

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it. See you on the 12th!
    I'll be the one next door looking way too excited.

I was telling someone where I was staying next year, they misheard it, and that name's kind of stuck since.

Law, thanks.
    I'd politely ask you the same thing back, but I think it would be fair to make an educated assumption based on the picture in your first post...
    I didn't think lawyers were allowed to get too excited? :p:

I'll be the one hiding behind a suitcase full of shoes (and not a lot else) looking a bit sheepish. :rolleyes:

It should definitely officially be re-dubbed Kinky Court, particularly as I've read somewhere that apparently there's a burlesque bar not too far away.

Well you could still ask, and I could just assume you're a bit unobservant? Though that wouldn't bode well for a prospective law student either...

ReputationRep:
    ___

ReputationRep:
    Go on then... what're you studying?

Truth be told, my observations should be way off - I've had a year of what could only be described as 'Academic Stagnation'; although I did get As in Drinking and Shelf-Stacking.

I had a wee scope of the accomodation before I applied, and you're right, the burlesque bar is a stone's throw from the Court.
    Smashing eh?

The location is generally pretty excellent, it's handy for everything in town, although I get the best deal because the Law faculty at Old College is about 100m from my front door.
    Yep me too - been working for most of the last 9 months for an internet travel provider. Good wage, but the concept of essay writing now strikes fear in my heart :woo: (English Lit, by the way :p: )

Well if there's definitely a burlesque bar nearby, at least if I'm strapped for cash I could try and get myself a job - my parents would be so proud.

Yeah the reason I chose it is that it's not at all far from George Square - though it might take a bit of getting used to having even a ten minute walk; when I was at UCL I was staying in halls on Tavistock Square, which is like a road over from Gower Street. I could practically roll out of bed and be in a lecture within 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    ___

ReputationRep:
    So if you were at UCL is this a second degree for you?

You stole my plan for extra employment, although I've been transferred to an Edinburgh store by Tesco anyway. Once that company get you in their vice-like grip, it's difficult to escape. I even find myself acting like some sort of Tesco propaganda *****, telling people how "they're actually quite a good employer... I get a discount and everything". It's a sad affair, but 10% off all your groceries is quite handy; I'm sure when the cash is running low a £2.44 3 litre bottle of Tesco Strong Dry Cider will seem like a great idea.
    10% off food, eh? I think you and I are going to be great friends :p: It would have been good if I could've had a job where I could be transferred - the job I'm doing at the moment I can do from home easily enough, but it's so time consuming and can get quite stressy. Plus we're coming out of high season now, so they're not going to want extra workers tagging on for the low winter season

No it isn't a second degree - it's just my second time around at trying to get a degree. I went straight from college last year into UCL, and dropped out about 3 weeks before I'd even finished my first term of first year :rolleyes:

It'd be laaaarvleee to be able to afford two degrees, but such is life

ReputationRep:
    ___

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to be stayin in 4 Kincaid's court. flat 9 room 2.
    anyone else there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlistairMacLeod)
    i'm going to be stayin in 4 Kincaid's court. flat 9 room 2.
    anyone else there?
    4 Kincaid's Court, Flat 9 Room 3 We be neighbours, matey! :p:

Yep, even my work in Edinburgh will be a bit more problematic. At the moment I'm a 5 minute walk from work, whereas in Edinburgh it's a 20 minute bus... or a 10 minute drive... if anyone can hook me up with a lift twice a week then petrol money and discounted shopping's all theirs!

I can't afford to keep my car, but I think the whole point of staying at Kincaid's was because it's so central that I can walk anywhere...
    Man I would love to bring my car, but my parents are selling it Crazy parking in Edinburgh, too...

ReputationRep:
    cool....didn't expect to find someone in the same flat..never mind next door! do you know edinburgh well? i don't know the area at all..i haven't even seen kincaid's court i think it'll be good though see you in two weeks!

ReputationRep:
    cool....didn't expect to find someone in the same flat..never mind next door! do you know edinburgh well? i don't know the area at all..i haven't even seen kincaid's court i think it'll be good though see you in two weeks!
    Haha - I've found another of our flat mates on Facebook, but no one directly next door to me :p:

I know Edinburgh faaairly well - at least the central area from Princes Street up to George Square. I've been a couple of times on family hols, and I was up for a week or so for the festival last summer, so I know the Royal Mile pretty well too, and am very familiar with Waverly Station and getting to/from the airport.

I haven't seen Kincaid's either, but it's very central, on the Cowgate (clubbing area so perhaps a bit noisy which could get annoying, but I'm sure we'll get used to it), and a stone's throw from the Royal Mile etc. Student accommodation tends to be interesting, so we'll see :rolleyes:

Better than getting no accom at all though, or having to bunk in Pollock or live outside the centre as many people are doing this year.

Can I assume from your username you're a guy? I thought Edinburgh did single sex flats, but it would be a lot cooler (and way less *****y) if we had some boys...

Though the bathroom arrangment might be interesting

ReputationRep:
    yes, i am a guy!lol i asked the people from accomodation services and they told me that there will be 6 guys and 6 girls in our flat..so it should be good to have a mix
    oh i know princess st...i'll always know where to find the shopping areas although i really should try my best to keep out of the shops while i'm in uni. so do u like going out to clubs and that...i do..so will be good to have lots of people in the flat that do as well:P
    i'm on facebook too so you can add me if you want....should be under Alistair Macleod

ReputationRep:
    yes, i am a guy!lol i asked the people from accomodation services and they told me that there will be 6 guys and 6 girls in our flat..so it should be good to have a mix
    oh i know princess st...i'll always know where to find the shopping areas although i really should try my best to keep out of the shops while i'm in uni. so do u like going out to clubs and that...i do..so will be good to have lots of people in the flat that do as well:P
    i'm on facebook too so you can add me if you want....should be under Alistair Macleod
    Yay for boys! :p: I was genuinly getting worried about an all-girl flat - visions of girls' bording school and *****iness etc etc... Though more boys means a possibly messier kitchen :rolleyes: Prove me wrong!

I am fairly game for clubbing - not a huge drinker, personally, but I'm the kind of person who will dance quite happily for hours without being even a little bit squiffy around the edges so that's cool. Not one for going out every night (the phrase 'penny pincher' has been gabbed around in the past ¬_¬) but yeah Party party :woo:

I searched your name, and a load of people came up, so I have no clue - as far as I know, I'm the only Elizabeth Ebdale on fb (though I have two profiles) so may be easier for you to add me? The profile I use the most has me balancing a spoon on my nose :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladylish)
    The profile I use the most has me balancing a spoon on my nose :p:
    That was definitely worth looking you up for :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    That was definitely worth looking you up for :p:
    Haha clearly - I have great talent when it comes to balancing cutlery on my face :rolleyes: People are often genuinely blown away by my sheer awesome-ness.

ReputationRep:
    Hey dudes!

Flat 11, Room 1

Anyone else flat 11?... Im yet to find the 3 other lucky contestants.
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.