Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really worried and scared about learning to drive! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got my first 3 driving lessons this week and I don't have a clue what to do when I'm sitting in the drivers seat of the car!

I've never driven before, I can't drive any of my parents cars so I haven't been able to go out driving with them before I start lessons. I couldn't even drive a quad bike a couple of years ago when everyone else my age could!

I obviously want to learn to drive so I can get around much more easily, I just don't know where to start. I'm worried about everything...gears, controlling the steering wheel let alone everything else!

Does it sound like I'm going to need like 100 lessons!?!?

Ahhhhhhhhh

(Original post by dancingshoes10)
    I've got my first 3 driving lessons this week and I don't have a clue what to do when I'm sitting in the drivers seat of the car!

I've never driven before, I can't drive any of my parents cars so I haven't been able to go out driving with them before I start lessons. I couldn't even drive a quad bike a couple of years ago when everyone else my age could!

I obviously want to learn to drive so I can get around much more easily, I just don't know where to start. I'm worried about everything...gears, controlling the steering wheel let alone everything else!

Ahhhhhhhhh
    Nope it doesn't sound like you'll need 100 lessons at all. I was like you when I started. Your instructor will take it slowly and teach you everything from the beginning making sure that you're confident enough before moving onto more difficult things in your lessons. After a couple of lessons gear changes will become much smoother, and your steering will get good too

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor will show you everything you need to know.

I went out with my dad for a while before I started driving. Sure it got me able to drive the car but it wasn't the proper way I should have learned. You are better letting your instructor show you even the basics.

Just don't worry. Driving is enjoyable, and if you take your time you will get there eventually, be it 5 or 50 lessons.

ReputationRep:
    i was like you, including the terrified feeling. I wasnt able to practice in my parents cars at all whilst learning , so just had my lessons. I started beginning of november and passed first time in middle of may i think i had around 50 lessons, which is more than the average but i was really confident by the end which i think contributed to passing first time.
    good luck with learning to drive, especially your first lesson, im sure it will all be fine

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same, never driven before and all I knew really was what the pedals were called! But your instructor will help you, take it slowly and they'll be experienced so they'll know when you're ready to move onto the next things... They won't rush you into anything... It'll be fine.. Don't worry! Hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    I'm so worried my instructor is going to laugh at me or just think I'm rubbish lol. I feel sorry for him having to put up with me for the next god knows how many weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so worried my instructor is going to laugh at me or just think I'm rubbish lol. I feel sorry for him having to put up with me for the next god knows how many weeks.
    No! That's why they are called instructors! They have seen some of the "worst" drivers ever, I'm sure a young person like yourself won't have any problems!

At first, yes, it's a bit daunting to think of things like :-
    Signalling, checking mirrors, chaning gear, braking, road signs, giving way to other traffic, looking out for hazards (generally pedestrians/cyclists) all in the space of ... 5 seconds?

It gets so much easier after a while, and you will look back thinking, what was I all worked up about! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    babe instructors know all of this, they've heard it all before so i wouldnt worry about it and they're not going to laugh at you....

n why would they? they know your just starting out and you wont know much n as long as they're getting paid they're not going to care how much/little experience you have lol

so relaxxxx

ReputationRep:
    My instructor who is on holiday right now :mad: laughs at me all the time for fun, even though he also says I could pass my test now even though I have it booked in a month.

But then, he only does it in a jokey way the lessons are really relaxed its natural to be scared it is a lot easier than you think, once you get the clutch and biting point then your away, two hours on the road after that and you should be confident with all junctions and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    That's what instructors are there for, how are you ment to automatically know what to do. They will ease you in. I was a nightmare when I started but got my test in the end. And i's probably bettr you're coming in totally new as you won't have any bad habits.
    Also, if ater a few lessons you feel it isn't working, switch instructors asmI think you need to click with whoever is teachin you.

ReputationRep:
    the instructors are perfectly used to it, its their living after all!

out of interest, who are you learning with?

ReputationRep:
    i was nervous when i started too its natural. youll do fine

ReputationRep:
    all i knew was which gear was where because it says so on the stick i passed in 21 i think, i dont think anyone needs 100 lessons, 50 - 60 is usually the upper extrematies but they are more likely to pass first time so would save money on a second test

ReputationRep:

Ahhhhhhhhh
    Don't worry! the instructors are very patience, plus mine forgotten to tell me "Don't crash!"

ReputationRep:
    Learning to drive is like learning to ride a bike...

...but with twice the number of wheels, a gearstick, an extra pedal, windows, dashboard, bigger seats and airbags.

And I still wonder why it took me over 60 lessons to pass... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Is it easy to control the accelerator?

One of the things I'm worried about is pressing the pedal down really fast and then losing control of the car.

Sounds stupid but my imagination is running wild now!

ReputationRep:
    yes you only need to barely tip the accelerator with your foot, especially if its a diesel car which it probably is. And you also have a brake which helps you slow down and stop if you get a bit heavy footed lol. And so has the instructor so its all good!!

ReputationRep:
    Is it easy to control the accelerator?

One of the things I'm worried about is pressing the pedal down really fast and then losing control of the car.

Sounds stupid but my imagination is running wild now!

Well if you have the clutch below or at bite, then you wont move very fast even with full revs.

If you give it revs when bringing up the clutch and bring it all the way up you will move quite quick, but only if you put your foot all the way down for some reason.

With the accelerator (at least in the two cars I use) they both are ver unresponsive at first, until you put it down enough.

ReputationRep:

Ahhhhhhhhh
    you get 3 lessons per week?! Wish I did!
    no need to worry about it, that's why they're called driving LESSONS. You're not supposed to know how to drive, that's the point! :p:

ReputationRep:
    It could be worse, you could have a parent who makes you drive 25 miles into town on roundabouts, dual carriageways, busy town centre-traffic, messed up junctions, the lot - and this is after 2 driving lessons and the first time driving in my new car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.