Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been drinking lemsip max (contains 1000mg of paracetamol) 3 times a day and I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the swelling and the intense pain when I swallow! I was up at night crying because it was pretty intense.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can get the swelling down/clear the infection? I can't get to the doctor until monday. I also start work in a call centre from thursday.. am I screwed? Will talking a lot cause more problems?

ReputationRep:
    I have constant problems with my tonsils - and unfortunately the NHS don't just do tonselectomy's now-a-days you really have to have an ongoing problem for them to do any surgery.

I regularly get bouts of tonsilitis i understand the pain you're going through, crying really will make the pain worse though as you sob you'll stretch your mouth and throat. Try to avoid it as much as possible.

Your doctor will give you Penicillin if you are confirmed wiht a throat infection, or an alternative if you're alergic or have any kidney problems.

The best advice i was given was recently by a relief doctor for my doctor he told me to gargle salt water, and was pretty suprised my regular doctor hadn't mentiond it to me before.

For me it really has helped with the swallowing, you can take ibuprofen for the pain relief too until you see the doctor.

As for not talking, i'd carry on as normal the more you think about the pain the more it will affect you.
    Hope you get much better soon!

xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.