Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The fact that charities focussed on humans take priority does not mean that you shouldn't also give to animal charities. They aren't contradictory at all.

Well people get bored of donating to people so animal charities spice it up a litte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What's ethically wrong about killing dogs for food? It's no more ethically wrong than killing a pig for food.
    I guess it depends on people's individual morals.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to invest in the life of a human than that of an animal for which life is a more 'disposable' commodity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    No they're not a disgrace.
    Just because you wouldn't give money to help an animal, doesn't mean it's ultimately a disgrace.. actually, it's the opposite for me. I would give money to animals over humans, I don't give two flying ***** if that makes you think i need to have a good hard look at myself.
    This

ReputationRep:
    lol. we can't have every human living- the world is already overpopulated with humans- therefore you could argue human charities aren't needed either. They're created for families and sufferers- a totally moral thing.

ReputationRep:
    I give monthly donations to animal and human charities.

ReputationRep:
    The NSPCA provide a service to the country that the goverment is unable to provide. They house abandoned or injured animals, investigate cases of animal cruelty and also deal with violent or dangerous animals. The people who run this charity do not value the lives of animals more than that of humans, but are simply trying to provide a service that would not have existed in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    No... im astounded people ask these questions. Its not like animals can go and get a job so they have somewhere to live/ have money to pay for their healthcare. They need our help, and more often than not they need the charities help because of us. x

ReputationRep:
    well to be honest i care more about my dog than anyone of you random strangers on TSR - and i dont mean to be offensive but its true

ReputationRep:
    I'm facepalming about how people think it's that one-dimensional. There is no evidence to suggest, none whatsoever, that supporters of the RSPCA care for animals more than humans. Not a scrap.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair enough if we have caused the animal pain then we should do something about it.

Otherwise, i agree with the OP

ReputationRep:
    so what do you think of someone who donates to a wide range of charities?

ReputationRep:
    Do animals give money to humans? No.

So why should we give money to them?!*

*This was a joke, animals give love and care to many people.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: Tough ****, find something better to have a teenage moan about.

Longer answer: People have free will and can donate to whomever they please, what gives you the authoritarian right to decide what people can and can't spend their money on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    The NSPCA provide a service to the country that the goverment is unable to provide. They house abandoned or injured animals, investigate cases of animal cruelty and also deal with violent or dangerous animals. The people who run this charity do not value the lives of animals more than that of humans, but are simply trying to provide a service that would not have existed in the first place.
    You mean RSPCA

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps i'm weird in thinking this, but as much as i love animals and my pets i would sacrifice that anyday to help a fellow person in need. i dont understand the mentality of anyone who puts an animal befor ea person and i think they need to take a good hard look at themselves if they doWhy should they, who the hell are you to tell people wh oto donate thier money to?

Yet the rspca is one of the biggest charties in the uk. i just do not think there is NY exucse for giving to one of these animal charities as it is to forgo money which could be sent to the nspcc, save the children, cancer research or help for homeless. i just do not get it. i hate the animal lover mentality when it means they value animals over people....like when peoiple say ''if there was a child drowning and a dog drownign i'd save the dog''...as if that's a good thing...... should be ashamed of yourselfAgain why the hell should you dictate who i give my money to? Why shouldn't i give money to charities that save animals from the cruelty and neglect unfairly bestowed upon them by humans and sometimes even children?

i hate that people seem to care more that the chinese eat dogs....and edible animal ffs, should WE be demonised because we eat beef when the indians comnsider the cow holy? if an india chairty started pressuring us to give up beef we would laugh...but what's the diffwerenc ebtween that and the chinese dogs? they're not ******* people.....this seems to cause more outrage in the uk than human tragedy like darfur. pisses me offThe Dogs that are eaten in Korea are more often then not kept in disgusting conditions and killed in disgracful ways, It's not the eating of the animals it's the treatment of them. See my above point.

i think animal charities, those ultra extreme animal lovers and all are a disgrace to people who are waiting for people to give blood, people waiting for a transplant, abused children, people with, as of yet, incurable cancers and more. i have 3 cats who i love...but tbh if i could save a dying child by sacrificing it i wouldI wasn't aware that if i donated to an animal charity i wasn't able to give blood and volunteer helping others...oh wait i do :rolleyes:

In short you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I am a sponsor for Dogs Trust :borat:. I want to help animals, so I do :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    Animals are, by and large, much nicer than humans. My Grandma works for the NSPCC, and whenever I imply that I'd rather give to an animal charity than a children's charity, she tries to convince me not to. But hey, I love animals and I don't much care for children - personal preference and all. Both can feel pain, so why is it seen as more just to help a person in pain, than an animal in pain? Is it because the person is on a higher mental level and is able to communicate that pain more effectively? Is it because animals are less able to communicate said abuse? Why is a person more valued? Not being facetious; genuinely interested to know what people think...

ReputationRep:
    Guide dogs for the blind are one of my chosen charities because I regard both animals and people, sponsor the dog AND help another person (I donate to charities that train assistance dogs for others who need them as well - the deaf/physically disables etc - for the same reason). I choose the charities I support carefully because I'm not convinced that many of them are really effective...the more 'in your face' a charity is (some of them are aggressively so) the less likely I am to donate money to it - however much I believe in their cause.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.